Pyro Pete

The Cost Of Living Crisis

51 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Nice Trumpism, we shut it down and reopened it when it was far to late.

And you conveniently miss off our major gas storage out at sea was also shut down.

Read the link, The Rough gas storage field is 18 miles off the coast and IS our major gas storage.

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

Read the link, The Rough gas storage field is 18 miles off the coast and IS our major gas storage.

I read the link, it don't add up to f**k all in a 5 year plan

55 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Surely this has got to provoke a General Election.

Quite an incredible thing to happen. But I expect there will be a huge support for them KG. Wards have been understaffed for a long while (and it affected my poor mother when she was alive - I expect many have similar stories), recruitment is difficult - especially since Brexit, wages haven't kept in line with the cost of living and many nurses now use foodbanks. Waiting lists are at an all time high and morale is at an all time low.

I believe virtually the whole country hates this administration and even on this thread the Tory supporters rarely come to post here in support of very much. That's because there is nothing to support. 

Whether there will be a GE I'm unsure as yet. But the pressure is only going to build. 

Edited by sonyc

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Surely this has got to provoke a General Election.

Nah. They’re gonna cling on for as long as possible. Compared to some of the other crisises this one is fairly minor (which says a lot for them…)

"Children not eligible for free school meals are coming to school with mouldy bread, empty wraps and in some cases nothing at all, according to teachers who told the Guardian they had never seen such desperation in the communities they serve.'

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/nov/10/children-not-eligible-for-free-school-meals-going-hungry-say-teachers

Other countries are raising interest rates to try and control inflation.

But no other country is raising taxes too. 

Of course there are global issues, but this crisis was made in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Anyone know of some kind of single market that could reduce paperwork, cut the cost of our exports, and open up the world's largest trading opportunity to get our economy moving?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Quid now back over 1.20$

Oil drops below 85$.

Unless there is a sharp turnabout I expect pump prices to drop by around ten pence a litre before Xmas.

Good news re inflation.

What will be interesting is if electricity prices drop - or the extent to which they do fall. Either way, I'm making damn sure my DD goes out for the same amount to cover my electricity even with the grant coming in.

Just put the latest meter reading in, I'm £440 up.

11 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

What will be interesting is if electricity prices drop - or the extent to which they do fall. Either way, I'm making damn sure my DD goes out for the same amount to cover my electricity even with the grant coming in.

I was £479 in front until the £330 bill dropped in today.😥

Edited by ricardo

40 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I was £479 in front until the £330 bill dropped in today.😥

Crikey, I definitely got lucky then when I fixed my prices for two years last October. My electricity consumption cost me about £50 for the month (no gas, I live in an apartment).

I do think switching the radiators off for the most part and using this heated throw has made a nice difference so far though. But I do think we're going to have to watch electricity unit prices sharpish, if we're not doing so already.

Edited by TheGunnShow

13 hours ago, ricardo said:

Quid now back over 1.20$

Oil drops below 85$.

Unless there is a sharp turnabout I expect pump prices to drop by around ten pence a litre before Xmas.

Good news re inflation.

I wonder if the Government would be happier with higher petrol prices while they try and fill the "black hole"?.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Crikey, I definitely got lucky then when I fixed my prices for two years last October. My electricity consumption cost me about £50 for the month (no gas, I live in an apartment).

I do think switching the radiators off for the most part and using this heated throw has made a nice difference so far though. But I do think we're going to have to watch electricity unit prices sharpish, if we're not doing so already.

My fixed deal (gas and elec) ran out at the end of August. Now on the flat rate which looks like being twice as costly.

Just now, ricardo said:

My fixed deal (gas and elec) ran out at the end of August. Now on the flat rate which looks like being twice as costly.

OK until August 2023. 

On 23/11/2022 at 22:21, TheGunnShow said:

I’m £460 up, but my electric/ gas company have just stuck another £35 on my DD insisting that prices will increase by at least 50% in April. I had a very heated discussion with them but they were pretty insistent.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

I’m £460 up, but my electric/ gas company have just stuck another £35 on my DD insisting that prices will increase by at least 50% in April. I had a very heated discussion with them but they were pretty insistent.

Who are you with, by the way?

Looking at my useage analysis on the Scottish Power website I have been able to cut back by about 20%in the last three months  just by being more aware of turning off lights etc when not in use.

22 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Looking at my useage analysis on the Scottish Power website I have been able to cut back by about 20%in the last three months  just by being more aware of turning off lights etc when not in use.

It would be interesting to know how much "standby" uses.

Everywher I look in the house there are little red lights glowing.

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

SSE

Fair enough, I'm with Octopus and haven't had an email to that effect. Half-expecting something as I know they're taking on Bulb's customers after Bulb went under.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Big Brother is watching you.

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its the Pixies