Terminally Yellow

Michael Bailey's latest article on the Athletic

4. Intriguing line - "In fact, Norwich hope their two midfield signings — once completed — will underline why they have not been looking as low as League One for incomings this window". 

I remember Paddy saying a similar thing last close season and look at how those signings turned out 🤣 I hope some learning has been done. 

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

If that's how the club want to play it, then I guess the lack of ambition accusers have a point.

We should be planning to become an established EPL team and every action we take should funnel into that aspiration.

And Hayden has proven EPL pedigree. Huckerby had EPL pedigree when we signed him. Plenty of Championship clubs are able to sign players with EPL pedigree.

And I also said players who had the potential to play but haven't yet. For example, someone like Gus Hamer at Coventry. If he was available and affordable, I'd have him in a heartbeat and he'd be straight in the starting lineup above McLean and is likely to do a better job there than him and a MUCH better job than McLean if he played in the Prem. But we may have missed the boat on him last summer and he'll be somewhere higher than us come the end of August.

I am not quite sure how literal you are being with pedigree but I'm not sure about your statement - "Plenty of Championship clubs are able to sign players with EPL pedigree." I can't think of many players in recent years who were proven premier league players who came to Championship teams and then back up again with them and played regularly at Premier league level again.

Could you help me?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

How do we know that the strategy isn't to play Idah up top with pukki as the number 10? 

We can then fizz crosses into Idah and our midfield can play pukki in behind from deep. Not saying I particularly like the idea but you just never know. 🤷

Josh basically played as a wide target forward any game he was on the right, pretty sure Idah has in the past as well.

In the PL we spent most of the time defending, in the Championship either is going to have much more opportunity to get forward and support Pukki if playing on the right or left of the front three.

Especially with a more defensive minded fullback like Byram covering behind.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I am not quite sure how literal you are being with pedigree but I'm not sure about your statement - "Plenty of Championship clubs are able to sign players with EPL pedigree." I can't think of many players in recent years who were proven premier league players who came to Championship teams and then back up again with them and played regularly at Premier league level again.

Could you help me?

Apart from a couple of unique exceptions in that the size of club pretty much meant the championship was only a temporary visit in perhaps Villa and Newcastle, I cant really think of many either.

8 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Too much time is spent worrying about how a player would do playing in a league we're not even in. 

Maybe. Or maybe the reason we're stuck where we are because not enough time is spent worrying about it.

38 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

There arent enough ti.ts on this thread for my liking...

Here you go…

3C21BE61-8F05-41AA-BF46-8BAC3051B7EC.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wishbone said:

4. Intriguing line - "In fact, Norwich hope their two midfield signings — once completed — will underline why they have not been looking as low as League One for incomings this window". 

I remember Paddy saying a similar thing last close season and look at how those signings turned out 🤣 I hope some learning has been done. 

Paddy said at the start of last summer that if the signings he had heard mentioned came off it could be a very interesting season.

We know for a fact that three were Armstrong, Ajer and Billings. King also reportedly rejected our offer to him on wages.

Bailey then did an article more recently that revealed other failed targets.

If you look at that, I think it's fair to say it would have been interesting. Not that we would have signed all of those targets. 

11 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Maybe. Or maybe the reason we're stuck where we are because not enough time is spent worrying about it.

I sympathise with ambition Dan, but it is hard enough to buy players of premier league standard when yo have just be promoted to the premier league, for well-rehearsed reasons (why risk going  a newly promoted club this more likely than not to be relegated).

It is even harder to buy players of premier league standard once you have been relegated! 

36 minutes ago, Badger said:

I sympathise with ambition Dan, but it is hard enough to buy players of premier league standard when yo have just be promoted to the premier league, for well-rehearsed reasons (why risk going  a newly promoted club this more likely than not to be relegated).

It is even harder to buy players of premier league standard once you have been relegated! 

Not only that, our transfers from PL clubs while in the Championship have been mixed success at best.

We bought Gibson, he was great in the Championship but had a poor PL season.

We bought Hugill then decided he wasn’t good enough for the PL.

We can usually only afford PL rejects and you have to wonder the reason why they weren’t successful at their current club.

Hayden is the first signing I can remember in a long time that was a successful PL player. Even when we were in the PL, Byram is the only other example I can think of for many years and that was an odd one given the tiny fee we paid.

18 hours ago, Badger said:

Could you help me?

Indeed! How many players of genuine proven PL quality played in the Championship last year (and who were not loans)? I'm struggling after noting Mitrovic for Fulham. Last time we went down it was surprising that we managed to hold on to the likes of Buendia, Aarons, Krull (and for that matter, Cantwell). If a player is genuinely PL proven, then his transfer fee is unlikely to dip below £10m, and his wages upwards of £40 grand.

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

We can usually only afford PL rejects and you have to wonder the reason why they weren’t successful at their current club.

Hayden is the first signing I can remember in a long time that was a successful PL player. Even when we were in the PL, Byram is the only other example I can think of for many years and that was an odd one given the tiny fee we paid.

Basically I agree with you but the problem is far more fundamental than ours (or any other team's budget) - why would a player of established premier league ability chose to move to a newly-promoted club and the probability of relegation let alone to a relegated club that might not get promoted at all?

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Basically I agree with you but the problem is far more fundamental than ours (or any other team's budget) - why would a player of established premier league ability chose to move to a newly-promoted club and the probability of relegation let alone to a relegated club that might not get promoted at all?

There’s only one obvious answer I can think of, money, and we don’t have any.

14 minutes ago, horsefly said:

How many players of genuine proven PL quality played in the Championship last year (and who were not loans)? I'm struggling after noting Mitrovic for Fulham.

Agree but even Mitrovic has hardly established premier league class. 24 goals in 4 premier league seasons, best return 11 goals, from 104 matches. Not terrible but not really someone you would worry about at Premier league standard - very much a bottom level PL player.

Well Forest seem to be trying. Getting Henderson on loan is a brilliant piece of business - he probably saved Sheff Utd about 10 points on his own. Their new forward is a bit of an unknown at £17.5m though, plus I don't think Harry Toffolo is a solution to their loss of Spence and they have yet to replace Garner. Very interested to see how they do.

5 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

There’s only one obvious answer I can think of, money, and we don’t have any.

You would get less playing for a championship team than a premier league team, so you would earn less, not more! Let alone the career suicide and ignominy of swapping Manchester |united away for Millwall away!

It's why it doesn't  happen (except loan to buy)  and even then, it normally applies to players who have fallen from favour in low ranking teams and can't get a game anywhere else.

23 minutes ago, Badger said:

You would get less playing for a championship team than a premier league team, so you would earn less, not more! Let alone the career suicide and ignominy of swapping Manchester |united away for Millwall away!

It's why it doesn't  happen (except loan to buy)  and even then, it normally applies to players who have fallen from favour in low ranking teams and can't get a game anywhere else.

You said newly-promoted. I agree, almost impossible sell to someone regularly playing to drop down, although we did get Hayden.

4 hours ago, Monty13 said:

You said newly-promoted. I agree, almost impossible sell to someone regularly playing to drop down, although we did get Hayden.

Exactly! You would think the club would be praised for the Hayden deal, a player we could not have afforded otherwise. But still there are people desperate to slag the club off. Maybe they know where the magic money tree grows.