Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Last World Cup Qualifying Games Australia + New Zealand

New Zealand hopefully make it. Remember cheering them on against Italy in the world cup. Got a draw which was a decent result again the holders!

As for the others I don't really have a preference. Go whoever wins!!

57 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

against Italy in the world cup. Got a draw which was a decent result again the holders!

New Zealand were robbed by cheating italians that game.

Still staggering that in 2022 a 'World' Cup has teams from Oceania given 0.5 of a place. This was the whole reason why Australia moved confederations. I see from 2026 they get 1 1/3 places but that is only because of an expanded competition with 48 teams involved. The qualification route from Oceania should've had at least one direct qualifier before now. Hopefully NZ will get through tomorrow.

So if The world cup in Qatar couldnt possibly be played in june/july and had to be moved to the winter and disrupt everyones domestic seasons...

....how come these 2 games are being played in Qatar ...in June??

From Guardian coverage

"The location of this match is interesting because Australia have played a lot of their qualifying games in Qatar and are very used to the conditions. They have been based there for the past two weeks – the longest time they have spent in camp together for the good part of four years.

This is not the case for Peru, and assistant coach Nobby Solano has had a crack at Fifa over the decision.

“The game is kicking off at nine o’clock and they’re saying that the stadium is air-conditioned, so it will be fresh when we play,” he said. “But we’ve been training in Spain until this weekend because it’s just too hot to train in Qatar during the day.

“We’re being asked to play in the same conditions that it was decided that the World Cup wouldn’t be possible to be played in. For a game of this size, with so much at stake, I’m not sure that’s really good for either us or Australia. Although it’s obviously the same for both teams.”

0:0 currently

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

So if The world cup in Qatar couldnt possibly be played in june/july and had to be moved to the winter and disrupt everyones domestic seasons...

....how come these 2 games are being played in Qatar ...in June??

Wouldn't they be more used to the humidity?

Kiwis equalise!

Edit: - Till Var chops it off.

Edited by KiwiScot

Glad New Zealand are out...no country should be able to qualify for a world cup by only having to beat the likes of Soloman Islands, Vanuatu and Tahiti...and then a one off game vs Costa Rica

A disgrace that Oceania will get one guaranteed place when the World Cup is expanded to 48 teams when Europe will only get 3 extra places.

15 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Glad New Zealand are out...no country should be able to qualify for a world cup by only having to beat the likes of Soloman Islands, Vanuatu and Tahiti...and then a one off game vs Costa Rica

A disgrace that Oceania will get one guaranteed place when the World Cup is expanded to 48 teams when Europe will only get 3 extra places.

NZ only had to play 5 matches to qualify to play Costa Rica. No doubt Australia will want to go back into the confederation if its guaranteed a place.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

NZ only had to play 5 matches to qualify to play Costa Rica. No doubt Australia will want to go back into the confederation if its guaranteed a place.

I believe Asia is getting 3 extra places and Africa 5 ?!

42 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Whoever qualifies from that continent does so on merit. It doesn't need more European places. Hopefully NZ will be there next time to stick two fingers up to those who question their right to be there.

7 minutes ago, Canary73 said:

Whoever qualifies from that continent does so on merit. It doesn't need more European places. Hopefully NZ will be there next time to stick two fingers up to those who question their right to be there.

Merit?....by being by far the biggest country in a part of r

The planet amongst a collection of minute pacific islands

The world cup should have the best countries playing in it not giving out free passes due to geography

For New Zealand to have been there and the likes of Italy not would have been plain wrong.

Oceania should never be given an automatic place. It should be a pre qualifier to then compete in another confederation .i.e Asia or in some sort of second round of playoffs

This isn't the Champions League, it's not about the elite teams playing.

It's about different cultures and national identities smashing together like a demolition derby of nations. My favourite world cup moment I've watched being Tshabalala's opening goal in South Africa, for example.

On 14/06/2022 at 23:00, Mason 47 said:

This isn't the Champions League, it's not about the elite teams playing.

It's about different cultures and national identities smashing together like a demolition derby of nations. My favourite world cup moment I've watched being Tshabalala's opening goal in South Africa, for example.

It's the World Cup and it is about having the best teams. But the best teams from across the world meaning you want the best from each region. So if Italy don't qualify, but say Bahrain or Ghana do fair do's as Italy where not one of the best in Europe.

A special tournament through the uniqueness and rairity of the event where like you say nationalities mix and people see different teams/players to watch. Thought just because it has that meaning doesn't mean you don't want the elite of international football it's just a format so ingrained it's taking them longer to dent it.

With the champions league you can argue it's the club version of the world cup based on an idea where the best in Europe play each other, but with more frequency. One from each nation where as now a days it's really about getting as many elite clubs into the mix as possible where as they'd love that with the World Cup. Every 2 years with Nations League giving smaller teams a chance, but also ensuring bigger teams who mess up a 2nd chance

Reason I post. Noticed it looks like Oceania is to get 1.5 spots so even with expanding the tournament by 16 teams they are still keeping the interconferation playoffs. I mean why? I notice though they've not worked out how to award or not award automatic places to the hosts given that most tournaments now will need 2 or 3 hosts. Maybe that will work into it.

Its all because FIFA will become richer as the TV rights grow and more nations will be buying shirts etc.

Fair enough if you want to expand the game or the football culture but will it really help by guaranteeing NZ a spot at the WC?

49 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its all because FIFA will become richer as the TV rights grow and more nations will be buying shirts etc.

Fair enough if you want to expand the game or the football culture but will it really help by guaranteeing NZ a spot at the WC?

Guess it's not about NZ's ability more they wanted to expand the tournament, but don't have the guts to get rid of the Oceania confereration or the inter-confereration play offs. Giving them a bye into a later asian round would be an idea as suggested. However in fairness to your membership and the current system giving them a spot seems the right thing.