Sign in to follow this  
The Real Buh

Liverpool fans booing the national anthem

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

So having defended fans for booing a stand against racism (taking the knee) he criticises fans for booing the national anthem? I wonder why one is condemned and the other supported? 🤔

Any guesses?

https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/16/boris-slaps-down-klopp-for-defending-liverpool-fans-booing-national-anthem-16655478/

Clearly it’s a little disingenuous to imply that simply not being in favour of the symbolic act of taking a knee makes one, by default, a racist, and I’m sure you didn’t intend to insinuate that.  But it’s very difficult to infer that those booing the National Anthem and members of the Royal Family are anything other than anti-establishment, anti-monarchist and anti-UK.  

14 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

My understanding, which may or may not be correct, is that a lot of it dates back to the days of Geoffrey Howe and his "managed decline"

If so, it's a sad reflection that some people are incapable of distinguishing between a majority party government policy umpteen years ago, and how it might have affected them personally at the time, and the nation as an institution, which are entirely different things. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

4 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Do Evertonians also boo the National Anthem and Royal Family, or is it just the red half of Merseyside?

Now that Liverpool have done this, I suspect Evertonians will sing the national anthem with extra gusto on principle. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

13 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Do Evertonians also boo the National Anthem and Royal Family, or is it just the red half of Merseyside?

Evertonians think the theme tume from Z Cars is the national anthem.

#oneforthekids.

30 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Clearly it’s a little disingenuous to imply that simply not being in favour of the symbolic act of taking a knee makes one, by default, a racist, and I’m sure you didn’t intend to insinuate that.  But it’s very difficult to infer that those booing the National Anthem and members of the Royal Family are anything other than anti-establishment, anti-monarchist and anti-UK.  

No real justification in anything you say NC - just unsupported assertion.

Why do you think he supports booing in one instance and not the other?

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

No real justification in anything you say NC - just unsupported assertion.

I think my comment stands on its own merits with no need for further clarification.

This is certainly the decade of protest. I'm all for it when it is warranted and so much is but I do sense that some are making some things a problem for the sake of it. For instance, I believe some want mickey taking at baldness to be a hate crime. I sense that banter or humour is being confused with derision.

I think we all know that a large group Liverpool supporters take things far more personally than most others. Their skin appears to be very thin. They hate Souness, one of their all time greats for writing a column for the Sun for instance.

Whatever their beef about the Royal Family or indeed the anthem is their problem and they should remember that the Cup Final was also part of Chelsea's day and neutrals.

I remember working with a Scouser who was so vitriolic about Hillsborough, and fair enough, it was a tragedy. He was ruthless about Clough who at the time said it was Liverpool fans crushing Liverpool fans. When I told him it was an emotional subject just the same as Heysel, he just sniggered and said "that was just bad bricklaying".

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

I think my comment stands on its own merits with no need for further clarification.

In other words you can't justify it! 😉

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

For instance, I believe some want mickey taking at baldness to be a hate crime. I sense that banter or humour is being confused with derision.

Tony Finn – who is in line for compensation – had worked for the West Yorkshire-based British Bung Company for almost 24 years when he was fired in May last year. He took the company to the tribunal claiming, among other things, he had been the victim of sex-related harassment after an incident with the factory supervisor, Jamie King.

Finn alleged that during a shopfloor row in July 2019, King had referred to him as a “bald c*nt”. The tribunal heard Finn was less upset by the “Anglo-Saxon” language than the comment on his appearance.

The allegation resulted in the panel – led by Judge Jonathan Brain – deliberating on whether remarking on his baldness was simply insulting or actually harassment.

“We have little doubt that being referred to in this pejorative manner was unwanted conduct as far as [Finn] was concerned,” the tribunal found. “This is strong language. Although, as we find, industrial language was commonplace on this West Yorkshire factory floor, in our judgment Mr King crossed the line by making remarks personal to the claimant about his appearance.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/13/calling-a-man-bald-is-sexual-harassment-employment-tribunal-rules

2 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Zaha at Palace would be deemed to be racist if not supporting the "knee" was the sole indication of racism, however I believe the majority boo the knee because they are uncomfortable confronting an issue they'd rather just go away (the keep politics out of sport argument) or they believe the marxism argument and are happy to bring in politics to sport when it suits them.

You can also be anti-establishment or anti-royal but love the UK. You might, for instance, love London for its diversity and culture and be proud of the UK for it love of Curries, Football, music etc. Booing the Monarchy is not anti- UK it's anti monachy.

Edited by Kenny Foggo

9 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If so, it's a sad reflection that some people are incapable of distinguishing between a majority party government policy umpteen years ago, and how it might have affected them personally at the time, and the nation as an institution, which are entirely different things. 

I don't think it became policy, but even if the government of the day was only thinking about something like managed decline, it's understandable people would get the hump 

Not that it's an excuse to boo a national anthem, and, as @keelansgrandad referred to, a  bloody long time ago 

• Like 1