It would be useful sometimes rather than just post a link if posters could summarise what the article is about. I don't have time to click on links let alone read them 😉

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

What does the article say?

It says... you can get The Athletic for £1 a month for 6 months, don't be a tight bum, its a good read

https://theathletic.com/checkout2/pmintro1/?source=googleuksearchads&ad_id=582264476075&gclid=Cj0KCQjw06OTBhC_ARIsAAU1yOX_3g3RZkPfwyGXb4wP_e5dSji4ijCH3bnFcWrp2rbsKE1psXI71RoaArzqEALw_wcB

“I had a great debut (for Norwich, scoring in a 3-1 win over Bournemouth) and it gave me such a lift. I almost felt as if I had a point to prove. I scored again in my third game, against West Brom, and everything just clicked.

“Then we played Manchester City and I decided to do my first proper tackle against Toure and it didn’t go well for me.

“Straight away, I knew I’d done my knee. I just knew it wasn’t right. But because I was new at Norwich, I wanted to carry on. The physio came on and I kept telling him, ‘I’m fine, I can play’. I went back, we were on the attack and I sprinted into the box. As soon as I tried to turn, my knee was gone.”

• Like 1

“Let’s say I had a dinner booked in town with my wife and some friends. I’d cancel it. I look back now and think, ‘Why did it do that? They did nothing wrong’. During my time at Norwich, I hardly went out. The lads and staff were great with me but I didn’t want to be seen going out. That’s one side of football that a lot of people don’t see. I was getting messages from people asking why I was still injured. I’d respond and say, ‘I’d love you to come here and see what I’m doing to get fit, then you might rethink what you’ve just said’.”

“When I look back at what I experienced, I think it’s unfair to label players injury-prone,” he says. “My injuries were all unfortunate. They were the hardest three years of my life.

“I got offered a payout at Norwich and I didn’t accept it. I wanted to get back fit and play football. I gave it everything in my career. I was able to get back, play football and enjoy what I wanted to do. When I retired it wasn’t down to injury, it was on my terms and I’m really proud of that.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Interesting insight.

Am I reading it right that because he wasn't playing he didn't want to be seen going out and appearing 'fine' to the average supporter? That must be quite a mental weight, and something you don't consider for players with long-term issues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Interesting insight.

Am I reading it right that because he wasn't playing he didn't want to be seen going out and appearing 'fine' to the average supporter? That must be quite a mental weight, and something you don't consider for players with long-term issues.

Correctomundo. MJ got some awful slagging on here....for being unlucky with injuries.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Correctomundo. MJ got some awful slagging on here....for being unlucky with injuries.

There is a definitely a line, and getting to the point of attacking someone personally is where it must be drawn. It is sad that Matt felt he couldn't go out and enjoy his life because of his injuries and what people would think of him being out but unable to play. It wasn't Matt's fault he was injured, we all wanted him to play and do well for us and we know he worked very hard to get fit each time. Those set backs must have been horrid for him to go through the process all over again. As someone who gets repetitive back injuries, I completely feel for him having to go through recovery all over again.

Similar goes for Byram, who was also slaughtered on here for getting his long-term injury. He's a brilliant footballer who is and will do very good things for us. Injuries happen in sport, win some/lose some. Yes it is frustrating/disappointing, it is for the player as well, but it's not really fair to personally bash them for it

• Thanks 1