Sign in to follow this  
unique

Norman, Mc!ean, Gilmour, Lees-Melou

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Unfortunate reality is we can’t afford to.

Normann and Gilmour will be gone in the summer. Leaves Rupp (if we extend), McClean, Sorensen and Lees-Melou. They are all adequate to good Championship midfielders.

Rather than getting rid and buying/bringing in another five or six I’d rather keep them and add one, possibly two if any of the four left leave, quality additions personally.

It’s possible Cantwell and Hernandez will be added to that list.

There’s the issue we have, lots of players with contracts, Cantwell could well be released on a free this summer, as what’s the point of a one year extension? Can’t see Bournemouth making it permanent, but who knows. 
We will end up with thirty odd players on our books, trying to loan them out again!

When you compare what we'll be starting our 2022-23 Championship campaign with in comparison to last season, it's shocking how far backwards we've gone. Our goals came from Pukki and Buendia primarily, but there were significant contributions from Cantwell and Vrancic too.

I have zero faith that Rashica, Sargent, PLM and (if he ever plays for us again) Tzolis could come close to matching the level we found in 2020-21. We just don't have any creativity whatsoever.

We'll still have that massive CDM hole to fill. At least Gilmour and Normann will be gone. I find it hard to imagine a worse central midfield pairing. Perhaps if Normann wasn't carrying an injury and was capable of maintaining the required intensity for 90 minutes, or if Gilmour actually cared enough to bother tracking his man... Things might have been different.

I'm struggling to imagine how we could possibly be competitive in the near future.

2 hours ago, Petriix said:

When you compare what we'll be starting our 2022-23 Championship campaign with in comparison to last season, it's shocking how far backwards we've gone. Our goals came from Pukki and Buendia primarily, but there were significant contributions from Cantwell and Vrancic too.

I have zero faith that Rashica, Sargent, PLM and (if he ever plays for us again) Tzolis could come close to matching the level we found in 2020-21. We just don't have any creativity whatsoever.

We'll still have that massive CDM hole to fill. At least Gilmour and Normann will be gone. I find it hard to imagine a worse central midfield pairing. Perhaps if Normann wasn't carrying an injury and was capable of maintaining the required intensity for 90 minutes, or if Gilmour actually cared enough to bother tracking his man... Things might have been different.

I'm struggling to imagine how we could possibly be competitive in the near future.

I think you’re seriously underestimating the step down in quality the Championship is. I don’t think we will just walk it again but the players you’ve mentioned are all more than capable of an impact and being competitive at that level.

• Thanks 1

It’s a worry that Smith keeps playing them in favour of Sorensen, that he sees them as better and that he refuses to try something different when evidence of failure is so overwhelming.   When they are clearly so low on confidence or interest it seems.   He’s lying to himself, his players and us fans if he thinks we can stay up.   Get on with sorting out this farce.   

Thought when he came in he seemed pretty much on the ball but sadly, his stock is fading fast in my eyes.  

If I was Sorensen, I’d be doing everything I could to engineer a move this summer.   The lad simply gets overlooked at every turn.   

As for what I would do, McLean would be sold if at all possible or told to find another club, Rupp released, keep Sorensen and Lees-Melou, we’ve no choice there….then look for 2 CDM strong athletic stoppers whose best attributes are anticipation over quality and develop them in games.   Wouldn’t play anyone who clearly can’t step up to the EPL.   That means offloading or using as cover only:- Giannoulis, McLean, Dowell, Rupp, Zimmermann, Gibson, Sargent.    

To posters that argue ‘he’s good enough in the Championship so I keep him or him blah blah’ how do we produce a team capable of playing EPL football by playing lads like McLean or Dowell or Rupp or Sargent when 1) they can’t step up 2) we can’t afford much to effectively replace them on promotion 3) it’s preventing us developing a player that might step up (last season for example we played McLean a proven inadequate in the EPL at the expense of Sorensen’s development.…. and scandalously a loan player at his expense….

What we actually need is a team with all the strengths and football philosophy to compete at that level so that we can add to it with signings not replace the players that got us promoted when we know that they can’t help us any further.   Otherwise we’re in a never ending cycle of heroes to zeros!

In our financial situation, we have to speculate to accumulate!  Or would you rather gamble on experiencing this shameful season again.   If it takes 2, even 3 years or longer then so be it…. that’s why I’d have more confidence in Smith if he held his hands up and got on with the clear out right now.   

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

It’s a worry that Smith keeps playing them in favour of Sorensen, that he sees them as better and that he refuses to try something different when evidence of failure is so overwhelming.   When they are clearly so low on confidence or interest it seems.   He’s lying to himself, his players and us fans if he thinks we can stay up.   Get on with sorting out this farce.   

Thought when he came in he seemed pretty much on the ball but sadly, his stock is fading fast in my eyes.  

If I was Sorensen, I’d be doing everything I could to engineer a move this summer.   The lad simply gets overlooked at every turn.   

As for what I would do, McLean would be sold if at all possible or told to find another club, Rupp released, keep Sorensen and Lees-Melou, we’ve no choice there….then look for 2 CDM strong athletic stoppers whose best attributes are anticipation over quality and develop them in games.   Wouldn’t play anyone who clearly can’t step up to the EPL.   That means offloading or using as cover only:- Giannoulis, McLean, Dowell, Rupp, Zimmermann, Gibson, Sargent.    

To posters that argue ‘he’s good enough in the Championship so I keep him or him blah blah’ how do we produce a team capable of playing EPL football by playing lads like McLean or Dowell or Rupp or Sargent when 1) they can’t step up 2) we can’t afford much to effectively replace them on promotion 3) it’s preventing us developing a player that might step up (last season for example we played McLean a proven inadequate in the EPL at the expense of Sorensen’s development.…. and scandalously a loan player at his expense….

What we actually need is a team with all the strengths and football philosophy to compete at that level so that we can add to it with signings not replace the players that got us promoted when we know that can’t help us any further.   Otherwise we’re in a never ending cycle of heroes to zeros!

In our financial situation, we have to speculate to accumulate!  

Agreed.

What an awful career move it was to come here. The club shouldn't be potentially ruining careers like this. He should have, at the very least, been sent on loan in Jan. Smith would've made his mind up by then, what has keeping him proved? Apart from demotivating and devaluing the player further. Poor management. Again.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Agreed.

What an awful career move it was to come here. The club shouldn't be potentially ruining careers like this. He should have, at the very least, been sent on loan in Jan. Smith would've made his mind up by then, what has keeping him proved? Apart from demotivating and devaluing the player further. Poor management. Again.

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/sorensen-hopes-for-ncfc-return-after-knee-injection-8778932

Hes coming back from injury that put him out for weeks and apparently maybe still not 100% fit a week or so ago although he says nearly.

Considering until injured Smith gave him starts and his chance in CM I’m not sure he is being overlooked, maybe just eased back as he talks about having lots of minor niggles and needing injections. 

If he goes rest of the season without starting again I’ll change my mind, but Smith has actually played him in CM so not convinced he doesn’t rate him or want him.

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/sorensen-hopes-for-ncfc-return-after-knee-injection-8778932

Hes coming back from injury that put him out for weeks and apparently maybe still not 100% fit a week or so ago although he says nearly.

Considering until injured Smith gave him starts and his chance in CM I’m not sure he is being overlooked, maybe just eased back as he talks about having lots of minor niggles and needing injections. 

If he goes rest of the season without starting again I’ll change my mind, but Smith has actually played him in CM so not convinced he doesn’t rate him or want him.

Hope your right on that.    Surely the only possible excuse.  But why not give him a few minutes each game otherwise leave him out and put and U23 in. 

It beggars belief we gave Sorensen a 4 year contract and then decide not to play him. I don't think he will improve in any way as he's very one paced player. This is as good as he gets imo.

Either play him or get rid, and replace him with someone with the right attributes that will be selected.

Let's face it Normann and Gilmour have been poor, McLean very ordinary. Sorensen must be hopeless in training.

44 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It beggars belief we gave Sorensen a 4 year contract and then decide not to play him. I don't think he will improve in any way as he's very one paced player. This is as good as he gets imo.

Either play him or get rid, and replace him with someone with the right attributes that will be selected.

Let's face it Normann and Gilmour have been poor, McLean very ordinary. Sorensen must be hopeless in training.

All round we have been poor. Individuals have taken a lot of flak . The team is really just not up to the challenges.  I like what I see with Sorensen but there is something most of us are missing . Yes he must be so laid back in training or something else is going on. 🤔