Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Player's we miss from recent times...

In my opinion, of course...

Matty Svensson - Strong in the air, able to hold play up and knew where the goal was. This man had the chance to be a slightly more gifted version of Iwan, and was already ten times better than Thorne. Fair enough if he was thinking of his family and his future when he moved, but how much did the Board and Worthy do to keep him here, if only for another year. He would have been invaluable to us this season now Deano has gone.

Malky Mackay - Never the most technically gifted player, nor the fastest, but he was strong and could teach some Prem footballers a lesson in clearing the ball - Awaaaaay! With him at the back, we always had a certain confidence about us, and its not surprise to me that he''s looking to be involved in a promotion winning team for the third year in a row. May have struggled in the Prem, fair enough, but don''t we all think now that the wrong popular central defender was given the chance to prove himself...

Marc Edworthy - Quite simply, Steady Eddy. Again, never the most gifted, and struggled against some of the better Prem sides, but was good in the tackle, knew how to stay on his feet and, more importantly, could work that right wing well and put in some killer crosses. A latter day Steen Nedergaard, Worthy should be ashamed at himself for letting him go.

Kevin Cooper - Hard to believe that, once upon a time, we actually had a proper right midfielder in the side, if only for a few months! He was quick, good on the ball, could put in those vital crosses, and wasn''t afraid to have a pop from distance. He and Eddy down that right would have been exactly what we have lacked this season. Fair enough that Wolves wanted to keep him last season, but why didn''t we even attempt to talk to him when it became clear he was available last summer? He''s now plying his trade at Cardiff, a waste of a talent I feel.

Keith Briggs - Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Only kidding...

Damien Francis - Okay, so this one is no one''s fault but his, and he had become a lazy and disruptive influence. But at his prime, he was a brilliantly creative midfielder, with an attacking mind, and it was no surprise in the end that a Prem team came in for him and that he wanted to leave. I think we all laughed at the time, thinking we''d be passing him and Wigan on our way back to the Prem. Who''s laughing now, eh...?

Maybe I''m wrong, but I believe that with these players we wouldn''t be in the mess we are now. I think its testament to Worthy''s managerial ability that these are just some of the players he''s allowed to leave too easily, especially when you compare them the dross he''s brought in to replace them!

Can anyone think of any more?

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]

In my opinion, of course...

Matty Svensson - Strong in the air, able to hold play up and knew where the goal was. This man had the chance to be a slightly more gifted version of Iwan, and was already ten times better than Thorne. Fair enough if he was thinking of his family and his future when he moved, but how much did the Board and Worthy do to keep him here, if only for another year. He would have been invaluable to us this season now Deano has gone.

Malky Mackay - Never the most technically gifted player, nor the fastest, but he was strong and could teach some Prem footballers a lesson in clearing the ball - Awaaaaay! With him at the back, we always had a certain confidence about us, and its not surprise to me that he''s looking to be involved in a promotion winning team for the third year in a row. May have struggled in the Prem, fair enough, but don''t we all think now that the wrong popular central defender was given the chance to prove himself...

Marc Edworthy - Quite simply, Steady Eddy. Again, never the most gifted, and struggled against some of the better Prem sides, but was good in the tackle, knew how to stay on his feet and, more importantly, could work that right wing well and put in some killer crosses. A latter day Steen Nedergaard, Worthy should be ashamed at himself for letting him go.

Kevin Cooper - Hard to believe that, once upon a time, we actually had a proper right midfielder in the side, if only for a few months! He was quick, good on the ball, could put in those vital crosses, and wasn''t afraid to have a pop from distance. He and Eddy down that right would have been exactly what we have lacked this season. Fair enough that Wolves wanted to keep him last season, but why didn''t we even attempt to talk to him when it became clear he was available last summer? He''s now plying his trade at Cardiff, a waste of a talent I feel.

Keith Briggs - Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Only kidding...

Damien Francis - Okay, so this one is no one''s fault but his, and he had become a lazy and disruptive influence. But at his prime, he was a brilliantly creative midfielder, with an attacking mind, and it was no surprise in the end that a Prem team came in for him and that he wanted to leave. I think we all laughed at the time, thinking we''d be passing him and Wigan on our way back to the Prem. Who''s laughing now, eh...?

Maybe I''m wrong, but I believe that with these players we wouldn''t be in the mess we are now. I think its testament to Worthy''s managerial ability that these are just some of the players he''s allowed to leave too easily, especially when you compare them the dross he''s brought in to replace them!

Can anyone think of any more?

[/quote]

Worthington has said publically that when Wigan made an offer for Francis Damo wanted to Listen to them.. see what they had to say.. worthington steadfastly rrefused to allow it.. in the end Francis got annoyed and walked out so the club had no offer but to sell him.. can u blame him?

And before anyone has a go at Damo lets put it in perspective... you Want to leave your Job, you apply for another one, the company offers you an interview... YOur current manager refuses you permission to go to that interview... You want to leave but are being denied the chance.... Career Blocking in the World of business is Illegal... with our Cheif Exec being a solicitor im suprised he didnt point that out to Worthers.... anyway... if you were being denied the chance to leave your current job and perhaps live up to your dreams and ambitions of working for a better company and earning more money for doing a similar job (Ala Francis)wouldnt you become disillusioned with your state of affairs and leave anyway?

Damien Francis was hounded out of this football club... i have his name on the back of my shirt and im proud to have it.. he did nothing wrong that i can see... its that people want to find a scapegoat.

jas :)

I kinda agree with you Jas, but there''s no denying he''d become disruptive, which was all I was saying. I think this conversation was done to death during the summer...

I just wanna know who people think we miss...

only one comment, Evil Monkey. Matty Svennson was offered a one year extension - he left because he had the greater stability of a longer deal elsewhere. Otherwise, I have to agree wholeheartedly.

One i thought of, and will probably get some banter for....

Phil Mulryne - Ok so im gunna get moaned but, but how often do we score from set pieces now-days compaired to when phil was at the club?

[quote user="Fat Barman"]only one comment, Evil Monkey. Matty Svennson was offered a one year extension - he left because he had the greater stability of a longer deal elsewhere. Otherwise, I have to agree wholeheartedly.
[/quote]

Fair point Barman, I didn''t realise that...

I take AJ''s point about Mullers, he was very good on the ball and creative, however even though we as fans appreciate this over "work rate and commitment being first class", he really was a lazy bugger and looked more at home in the local kebab shops than Gresty Road on a cold and wet Tuesday night...

Svennson - target man which we have missed all season
Francis - a midfielder who could get forward
Edworthy - More solid than what we have
Mackay - was a rock, probably isnt now but would have been good last season

[quote user="Stephen Pass"]we miss Darren Kenton - premiership standard defender who went for nothing [/quote] We managed to get promotion without him though. Kenton was a great player and would be a welcome addition to our squad but due to the success we had after his departure I don''t think you could say we miss him and it hasn''t had an impact on this season!

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"][quote user="Stephen Pass"]we miss Darren Kenton - premiership standard defender who went for nothing [/quote] We managed to get promotion without him though. Kenton was a great player and would be a welcome addition to our squad but due to the success we had after his departure I don''t think you could say we miss him and it hasn''t had an impact on this season![/quote]

Had Kenton remained (which he wanted to . . .), the defence in the premiership would have been a lot more solid. Last year it desperatly lacked pace, hence the reason they held a line on the edge of Green''s box. Kenton marked Henry out of a game for Southampton the year Norwich got promoted. A partnership of Fleming and Mackay (later Doherty) was never going to be able to hold their own in the premiership, but could do so against the low standard of division one strikers, which is why Norwich were promoted and duly relegated. Imagine a centre-half pairing of Shackell and Kenton last year . . . 

I agree Kenton is another we miss, though I do remember Leon giving him

a torrid time last season when we played Soton at our place...

Kenton and Shackell together in the Prem? Sweeeet....

NW wanted kevin cooper to sign and the player had agreed terms with us but wolves wanted a reported £1million, greedy cause we had just been promoted to the premiership

passdinho wrote: Had Kenton remained (which he wanted to . . .), the defence in the premiership would have been a lot more solid.Surely Kenton left of his own accord, on a Bosman because he refused to sign a new contract?After Strachan left So''ton none of the other managers have deemed him worthy of a starting place (except in league cup matches, or when the three players ahead of him are injured/suspended). You can''t claim he''d have made any difference last year on this basis - although I admit he looked class whilst at City!