Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Yet another stadium get's renamed

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'm probably in a minority on this, but I wouldn't care if we sold the naming rights to Carrow Road for a few seasons. It's only ever a temporary thing, and if it brings a ton of extra money into the club then why not? If you ask a Birmingham fan where they play, they'll tell you St Andrew's, not the Trillion Trophy Stadium (first one that came to mind for some reason, although there are loads of others). In the same way, nobody refers to the 'Regency Security Stand', it'll always be the River End to us.

Obviously it's contingent upon being done sensitively... the 'Aviva Carrow Road Stadium' or the 'Lotus Stadium' is more palatable than 'The Angry Birds Nest' or whatever.

This, although I do sometimes refer to the River End as "The Reeves Stand".............

Wouldn't give a monkies. If it became the Poll Withey Stadium (there’s one for the teenagers) and the club got some decent money for it I’d be happy because I would still call it Carrow Road in the same way I still call The River End , The River End . 

PS I’ve just seen that Wolfie has said exactly the same about the River End . Apologies 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

Let us not forget that,  of course, the Barclay was a very early type of Naming deal - that is, Captain Evelyn Barclay paid to put a roof on the "railway end" and it has borne his name ever since.

I don't care if we sell the naming rights if it brings more money in, will always be Carrow Rd to proper football fans. 

I know myself. I would be bothered for the first month, then I'd get used to ignoring it.

It goes against nearly everything I feel football should be, so would instinctively react badly to it, but then a sense of realism would creep in and, if it brought in £3,000,000 a year or something like that (I have no idea how much naming rights are worth), then I'd understand the clubs decision.

I also suspect that for the self funding model to work (which I generally support), we are going to have to eek out every ounce of revenue. If that doesn't come from something bad for the club or the wider community then that's fine by me.

17 hours ago, Bill said:

thing is, it is only the numpties who use sponsors names

it is the League Cup, the FA cup etc

I still persist with the 'Coca Cola cup' but no one knows what the hell I'm talking about. Speaking of old League Cup sponsors, can you still buy a pint of Worthingtons?

5 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

I still persist with the 'Coca Cola cup' but no one knows what the hell I'm talking about. Speaking of old League Cup sponsors, can you still buy a pint of Worthingtons?

Or rent a tele from Rumbelows...... 

• Like 1