Sign in to follow this  
Declan

Can you help identify some old player signatures?

Having spent lockdown filling in the gaps of my home shirt collection (on the lookout for pre-ASICS now if anyone has any up for grabs!), I'm at the point where I'm tidying up other bits of memorabilia I have with an intention to maybe get some framed up for display in the house. 

Some of you may remember the game organised on Sunday 8 September 2002 between a Norwich City XI and Harwich & Parkestone to mark the Centenary of our first ever match (details on Flown From The Nest here) - there was a post-match event organised with a who's who of former players invited that I flitted between with pen and Centenary shirt in hand...I distinctly remember thinking on the way home I should have had a notepad I could have put a key on as it was being signed, but that's hindsight eh?!

So, I've got this shirt with 58 signatures on, of which I've managed to identify just under half (in absolute shame I cannot remember No. 45, but he was the oldest living player at the event)...can any of you lovely people help me pick out the others please? The ones I think I have are below, but if you can see one I've got totally wrong let me know!

2 Sandy Kennon; 6 Phil Hoadley; 7 Bill Punton; 10 Max Briggs; 12 - Colin Suggett; 16 John Bond; 17 Bruce Rioch; 20 Joe Royle; 21 Mervyn Cawston; 22 John Wilson; 28 John Polston; 30 Alan Black; 32 Noel Kinsey; 34 Robert Fleck; 35 Bryan Gunn (who used his own Sharpie!); 40 Duncan Forbes; 41 Greig Shepherd; 42 Mick Mills; 43 Ken Nethercott; 47 Mick Channon; 54 Maurice Norman; 56 Gary Holt; 57 Jeremy Goss

Shirt and Signatures.jpg

Edited by Declan
Link added!

2 hours ago, Declan said:

Having spent lockdown filling in the gaps of my home shirt collection (on the lookout for pre-ASICS now if anyone has any up for grabs!), I'm at the point where I'm tidying up other bits of memorabilia I have with an intention to maybe get some framed up for display in the house. 

Some of you may remember the game organised on Sunday 8 September 2002 between a Norwich City XI and Harwich & Parkestone to mark the Centenary of our first ever match (details on Flown From The Nest here) - there was a post-match event organised with a who's who of former players invited that I flitted between with pen and Centenary shirt in hand...I distinctly remember thinking on the way home I should have had a notepad I could have put a key on as it was being signed, but that's hindsight eh?!

So, I've got this shirt with 58 signatures on, of which I've managed to identify just under half (in absolute shame I cannot remember No. 45, but he was the oldest living player at the event)...can any of you lovely people help me pick out the others please? The ones I think I have are below, but if you can see one I've got totally wrong let me know!

2 Sandy Kennon; 6 Phil Hoadley; 7 Bill Punton; 10 Max Briggs; 12 - Colin Suggett; 16 John Bond; 17 Bruce Rioch; 20 Joe Royle; 21 Mervyn Cawston; 22 John Wilson; 28 John Polston; 30 Alan Black; 32 Noel Kinsey; 34 Robert Fleck; 35 Bryan Gunn (who used his own Sharpie!); 40 Duncan Forbes; 41 Greig Shepherd; 42 Mick Mills; 43 Ken Nethercott; 47 Mick Channon; 54 Maurice Norman; 56 Gary Holt; 57 Jeremy Goss

Shirt and Signatures.jpg

I was at this match and have the programme which I’ll dig out tomorrow - may help! In the meantime, a few guesses:

4- Darel Russell; 47- Neil Adams; 49- Mike Milligan; 52- Ian Crook. 
Number 19 was also a big player in the 90’s - recognise the signature from autograph books, but can’t place it at 2 in the morning!

• Like 1

55 looks like John Greatrex, goalkeeper from way back.

18 is Bob Heffer another mid 1950's player

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

Thanks all, that's a few more ticked off...you'd never have guessed a couple you have!

1 Peter Silvester

3 Kevin Drinkell? Steve Bruce did not attend so cannot be him

8 Ralph 'Ginger' Johnson

11 Clive Payne

18 Bob Heffer

31 Tony Woolmer

38 Geoff Barnard

42 Mick McGuire - not Mills!

44 Ken Foggo

45 Bernard Robinson - oldest attendee

49 Mick Milligan

51 Roy Hollis

53 Albert Bennett

56 Gary Brooke

What others do you now need?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MrFruit said:

What others do you now need?

That's great work, thank you! There’s a huge bunch now identified: 1 Peter Silvester; 2 Sandy Kennon; 3 Kevin Drinkell; 4 Dave Bennett; 6 Phil Hoadley; 7 Bill Punton; 8 Ralph ‘Ginger’ Johnson; 10 Max Briggs; 11 Clive Payne; 12 Colin Suggett; 16 John Bond; 17 Bruce Rioch; 18 Bob Heffer; 20 Joe Royle; 21 Mervyn Cawston; 22 John Wilson; 27 Che Wilson; 28 John Polston; 30 Alan Black; 31 Tony Woolmer; 32 Noel Kinsey; 34 Robert Fleck; 35 Bryan Gunn (who used his own Sharpie!); 38 Geoff Barnard; 40 Duncan Forbes; 41 Greig Shepherd; 42 Mick McGuire; 43 Ken Nethercott; 44 Kenny Foggo; 45 Bernard Robinson (oldest attendee); 46 Peter Mendham; 47 Neil Adams; 49 Mike Milligan; 51 Roy Hollis; 52 Ian Crook; 53 Albert Bennett; 54 Maurice Norman; 55 John Greatrex; 56 Gary Holt; 57 Jeremy Goss.

Which leaves sixteen that are still required: 5, 9, 13, 14, 15, 19, 23, 24, 25, 26, 33, 36, 37, 48, 50 and 58.

Edited by Declan
Che Wilson added!

14 minutes ago, Declan said:

That's great work, thank you! There’s a huge bunch now identified: 1 Peter Silvester; 2 Sandy Kennon; 3 Kevin Drinkell; 4 Dave Bennett; 6 Phil Hoadley; 7 Bill Punton; 8 Ralph ‘Ginger’ Johnson; 10 Max Briggs; 11 Clive Payne; 12 Colin Suggett; 16 John Bond; 17 Bruce Rioch; 18 Bob Heffer; 20 Joe Royle; 21 Mervyn Cawston; 22 John Wilson; 27 Che Wilson; 28 John Polston; 30 Alan Black; 31 Tony Woolmer; 32 Noel Kinsey; 34 Robert Fleck; 35 Bryan Gunn (who used his own Sharpie!); 38 Geoff Barnard; 40 Duncan Forbes; 41 Greig Shepherd; 42 Mick McGuire; 43 Ken Nethercott; 44 Kenny Foggo; 45 Bernard Robinson (oldest attendee); 46 Peter Mendham; 47 Neil Adams; 49 Mike Milligan; 51 Roy Hollis; 52 Ian Crook; 53 Albert Bennett; 54 Maurice Norman; 55 John Greatrex; 56 Gary Holt; 57 Jeremy Goss.

Which leaves sixteen that are still required: 5, 9, 13, 14, 15, 19, 23, 24, 25, 26, 33, 36, 37, 48, 50 and 58.

I think 56 is Gary Brooke. Will look at others another time

Gary Brooke.jpeg

15 Terry Allcock

Can you cut the ones you need and blow them up. I'm finding it difficult to see. Include your original numbers

6 hours ago, MrFruit said:

Can you cut the ones you need and blow them up. I'm finding it difficult to see. Include your original numbers

Thank you!

Remaining Signatures.jpg

I think 24 is Ken Smith a defender from the 50s. His career was cruelly cut short by injury.

I got to know Ken a few years ago and spent many happy afternoons with him until Covid struck. Unfortunately we lost Ken this March. Double jabbed and hoping to come out again but didn't make it. 😢

10 hours ago, Declan said:

Thank you!

Remaining Signatures.jpg

5 Dave Stringer

9 Keith O'Neil?

13 Andrew Hart

14 Greg Downs - 33 is a repeat?

19 Mark Barham

23 Rob Newman

24 Jamie Cureton

25 Freddie Sharpe?

26 Jon Newsome

27 Che Wilson

33 - see 14

36 Denis van Wijk

37 Doug Evans

48 Dave Watson

50 Dale Gordon

58 Mel Machin

All have been compared to autos collected at the same event. Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I think 24 is Ken Smith a defender from the 50s. His career was cruelly cut short by injury.

I got to know Ken a few years ago and spent many happy afternoons with him until Covid struck. Unfortunately we lost Ken this March. Double jabbed and hoping to come out again but didn't make it. 😢

Not Ken. I have a couple of his autos and they are both same but very different from this - Jamie Cureton

Thanks everyone...that's a wrap and, in case anyone else ends up stumbling across this thread in the future as a return from a search for signatures they are as follows:

1 Peter Silvester; 2 Sandy Kennon; 3 Kevin Drinkell; 4 Dave Bennett; 5 Dave Stringer; 6 Phil Hoadley; 7 Bill Punton; 8 Ralph ‘Ginger’ Johnson; 9 Keith O’Neill; 10 Max Briggs; 11 Clive Payne; 12 Colin Suggett; 13 Andrew Hart; 14 Greg Downs; 15 Terry Allcock; 16 John Bond; 17 Bruce Rioch; 18 Bob Heffer; 19 Rob Newman; 20 Joe Royle; 21 Mervyn Cawston; 22 John Wilson; 23 Rob Newman; 24 Jamie Cureton; 25 Freddie Sharpe; 26 Jon Newsome; 27 Che Wilson; 28 John Polston; 30 Alan Black; 31 Tony Woolmer; 32 Noel Kinsey; 33 Greg Downs (repeat); 34 Robert Fleck; 35 Bryan Gunn (who used his own Sharpie!); 36 Denis van Wijk; 37 Doug Evans; 38 Geoff Barnard; 40 Duncan Forbes; 41 Greig Shepherd; 42 Mick McGuire; 43 Ken Nethercott; 44 Kenny Foggo; 45 Bernard Robinson (oldest attendee); 46 Peter Mendham; 47 Neil Adams; 48 Dave Watson; 49 Mike Milligan; 50 Dale Gordon; 51 Roy Hollis; 52 Ian Crook; 53 Albert Bennett; 54 Maurice Norman; 55 John Greatrex; 56 Gary Brooke; 57 Jeremy Goss; 58 Mel Machin

33 is Mark Bowen 

I meet him 20 years ago before one game in Sofia Bulgaria-Wales in front of hotel .Was -15 Celsius's and him come back to me from last seat of team bus when see my scarf!

He sign my passport on the back and was quite surprised to see Norwich fan here 🙂