As one of those who has never ever worn a club shirt, and probably wouldn't even have done as a teenager, something to do with individualism (we do exist, people are different,) although I wouldn't go as far as to suggest "sheeepleism."

I see nothing wrong in it and it must be great for youngsters, whilst the sight of more than a few thousand middle-aged, overweight, pot-bellied Geordies cheering, swearing and chanting on the terraces in their black and white striped uniforms is not particularly endearing (I don't know why I singled out Newcastle fans, no logic there,) it's their right. Their money, their enjoyment-fest.

That yellow throng at Wembley a few years ago was enough to bring tears to the eyes also, I have to admit. 

My point, inspired out of ignorance, is what, apart from the obvious benefits of advertising in business in general, is the greater benefit of football shirt sponsorship that it cost so many millions.

I get it that the name is on the back of  the shirt on every television exposure and that thousands of supporters are walking billboards every matchday (and at many other times as well,) but it still seems an expensive way of going about things (£4m to Norwich City from BK8?) I realise football fans talk about 'millions' like monopoly money these days, but that's a big wedge.

Surely, also, with over 60% of PL and Championship clubs sponsored by betting firms they must cancel each other out to a certain extent?

I'm no stranger to owning a business, but perhaps somebody with more recent nous can fill me in.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I think that's why Asian betting firms are so prevalent in sports sponsorship - betting advertising is banned in some of those markets but premiership football is huge. The shirt sponsorship is a way around that.

But I know what you mean - apparently, Yokohama tyres paid Chelsea £40million per year! Did that make them shift that much more rubber? Did they misunderstand the term 'Chelsea tractor'?

Edited by g00se
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

As one of those who has never ever worn a club shirt, and probably wouldn't even have done as a teenager, something to do with individualism (we do exist, people are different,) although I wouldn't go as far as to suggest "sheeepleism."

I see nothing wrong in it and it must be great for youngsters, whilst the sight of more than a few thousand middle-aged, overweight, pot-bellied Geordies cheering, swearing and chanting on the terraces in their black and white striped uniforms is not particularly endearing (I don't know why I singled out Newcastle fans, no logic there,) it's their right. Their money, their enjoyment-fest.

That yellow throng at Wembley a few years ago was enough to bring tears to the eyes also, I have to admit. 

My point, inspired out of ignorance, is what, apart from the obvious benefits of advertising in business in general, is the greater benefit of football shirt sponsorship that it cost so many millions.

I get it that the name is on the back of  the shirt on every television exposure and that thousands of supporters are walking billboards every matchday (and at many other times as well,) but it still seems an expensive way of going about things (£4m to Norwich City from BK8?) I realise football fans talk about 'millions' like monopoly money these days, but that's a big wedge.

Surely, also, with over 60% of PL and Championship clubs sponsored by betting firms they must cancel each other out to a certain extent?

I'm no stranger to owning a business, but perhaps somebody with more recent nous can fill me in.

I think in the case of BK8 they won't have been using this sponsorship to attract customers in UK but rather to get around bans in Asia. 

So for them, the benefit is that viewers in China see their logo and name when thy tune in to Premier League football.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think in the case of BK8 they won't have been using this sponsorship to attract customers in UK but rather to get around bans in Asia. 

So for them, the benefit is that viewers in China see their logo and name when thy tune in to Premier League football.

Yes the first rule of advertisng is to keep your name (image) in the public view to maintain custom. There will always be new boys on the block.

BK8 may truly have planned to expose themselves for new cutomers in the Far East.

I hadn't considered that. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

9 minutes ago, g00se said:

I think that's why Asian betting firms are so prevalent in sports sponsorship - betting advertising is banned in some of those markets but premiership football is huge. The shirt sponsorship is a way around that.

But I know what you mean - apparently, Yokohama tyres paid Chelsea £40million per year! Did that make them shift that much more rubber? Did they misunderstand the term 'Chelsea tractor'?

Yeah I do wonder, like the people who pay to be Man United official noodle partner or similar- but you'd imagine their marketing department obviously do some analysis on how much extra they expect these deals to bring in.

7 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yes the first rule of advertisng is to keep your name (image) in the public view to maintain custom. There will always be new boys on the block.

BK8 may truly have planned to expose themselves for new cutomers in the Far East.

I hadn't considered that. 

Possible, but I did find their betting website in English - even when I typed BK8 Sports website on Google, I had to go to the second page to find it. So whilst @king canary has a point, I do suspect there was an attempt at cracking the British market too. You don't go and get based in Malta (Malta and Gibraltar are arguably the two powerhouses when it comes to betting authorities in Europe) unless your aim is to push into Europe.

Just watching the cricket.

England are Cinch, I can't quite make out the Kiwi one yet.

Freddie Truman would have needed an extra pint or two to cope with it all.

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Possible, but I did find their betting website in English - even when I typed BK8 Sports website on Google, I had to go to the second page to find it. So whilst @king canary has a point, I do suspect there was an attempt at cracking the British market too. You don't go and get based in Malta (Malta and Gibraltar are arguably the two powerhouses when it comes to betting authorities in Europe) unless your aim is to push into Europe.

Apparently, Asian gambling firms pay intermediaries (often in Malta etc) to gain legal access to the UK market and that allows them to sponsor Premier League teams.

Seems it's legal hoop jumping rather than a desire to "crack the British market".

So, in order to circumvent advertising legalities in their home market, they circumvent advertising legalities in the UK market.

Wonderful.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

He wouldn't have known "what was going off out there!"

Surely the worst cricket commentator of all time? 😫

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

He wouldn't have known "what was going off out there!"

Surely the worst cricket commentator of all time? 😫

I don't remember much about him, except that he nearly had a nervous breakdown when he first noticed that Derek Pringle, on his England debut, was sporting an earring.

Edited by BroadstairsR

19 minutes ago, kirku said:

Apparently, Asian gambling firms pay intermediaries (often in Malta etc) to gain legal access to the UK market and that allows them to sponsor Premier League teams.

Seems it's legal hoop jumping rather than a desire to "crack the British market".

So, in order to circumvent advertising legalities in their home market, they circumvent advertising legalities in the UK market.

Wonderful.

Possibly, but then why would they have a full betting website up in English / promotional offers etc? Just type in BK8 Sports website on Google, and you'll probably have to go to the second page to find it.

41 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Possibly, but then why would they have a full betting website up in English / promotional offers etc? Just type in BK8 Sports website on Google, and you'll probably have to go to the second page to find it.

“What a lot of football fans won’t understand is how little interest most of these firms have in the UK market and in UK bettors,” says Alun Bowden, head of European markets at US research firm Eilers & Krejcik Gaming. “It’s just about trying to get brand exposure in Asian markets where gambling advertising is banned or heavily restricted. It’s a game within a game, and you’re not playing.”

This process involves setting up a website which is designed to “look and feel like a company or brand, but the contents and services provided on the website are operated and managed by a licensed gambling company”, says the Gambling Commission. “This is typically a commercial arrangement where both parties share any profit from the website.”

The fact that you had to go to the second page of Google results (and thus their complete disinterest in English language SEO) to find the page of a company who just recently invested £5m in a Premier League sponsorship deal is a strong indicator of the above situation.

Edited by kirku
  • Like 2

Here's a bit specifically about Norwich and BK8:

BK8 uses a company called PowerPlay — which the gambling firm’s website says is based in Malta but the UK Gambling Commission’s website says is in Cyprus — to gain access to the UK market. 

It is not clear where BK8 is based, although social media activity suggests the firm has ties to Malaysia and Indonesia. Norwich’s official statement simply described the firm as “Asian”.

59 minutes ago, g00se said:

That's about 1p per person who will see their logo on telly around the world at least once in a year.

If you are a truly global company it is cheap advertising.

If you don't operate globally then obviously it becomes much more expensive, if you aren't multinational then Premier League shirt sponsorship probably isn't worthwhile. There are cheaper ways to become well known just in the UK for example, you could probably just sponsor an arena (like the First Direct Arena etc). 

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

There are cheaper ways to become well known just in the UK for example, you could probably just sponsor an arena (like the First Direct Arena etc). 

Sponsorship of a stadium is several magnitudes less impactful than main shirt sponsor. Stadium sponsorship is very niche by comparison.

16 minutes ago, kirku said:

“What a lot of football fans won’t understand is how little interest most of these firms have in the UK market and in UK bettors,” says Alun Bowden, head of European markets at US research firm Eilers & Krejcik Gaming. “It’s just about trying to get brand exposure in Asian markets where gambling advertising is banned or heavily restricted. It’s a game within a game, and you’re not playing.”

This process involves setting up a website which is designed to “look and feel like a company or brand, but the contents and services provided on the website are operated and managed by a licensed gambling company”, says the Gambling Commission. “This is typically a commercial arrangement where both parties share any profit from the website.”

The fact that you had to go to the second page of Google results (and thus their complete disinterest in English language CEO) to find the page of a company who just recently invested £5m in a Premier League sponsorship deal is a strong indicator of the above situation.

Well, that would basically mean their English-language website would be a lingua franca, which would also make some sense.

5 minutes ago, kirku said:

Sponsorship of a stadium is several magnitudes less impactful than main shirt sponsor. Stadium sponsorship is very niche by comparison.

What I'm trying to say is that Premier League shirt sponsorship is a global marketplace, about half the worlds population will see it on the telly, so it is priced accordingly.

Using First Direct as an example, only in the UK market so that's what 50 million people if you exclude kids.

£40m divided by 50 million is 80p per potential customer. More actually, as not all will ever pay any attention at all to football.

All 3.5 billion or whatever people who watch the Premier League will have access to coca-cola though, who operate in pretty much every country in the world, so that's £40m divided by 3.5 billion, or 1p per potential customer.

Just trying to illustrate how its not feasible for a lot of companies who only operate domestically or in a small number of markets.

Obviously if you operate in practically the whole of Asia its very different to if you only operate in say the UK, Ireland, and America. Lots of people keep suggesting Aviva, its possible as they do operate in Asia, but think they've been pulling out of some international markets.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

35 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I don't remember much about him, except that he nearly had a nervous breakdown when he first noticed that Derek Pringle, on his England debut, was sporting an earring.

Totally grumpy the whole time: always saw the bad side of everything and criticised the players constantly. Always said,

"I just don't know what's going off out there." Led some to question why he was a commentator.

Perhaps he went on to become a Pink Un poster😄

17 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, that would basically mean their English-language website would be a lingua franca, which would also make some sense.

Doubt it, but you never know

16 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What I'm trying to say is that Premier League shirt sponsorship is a global marketplace, about half the worlds population will see it on the telly, so it is priced accordingly.

Ah got you - agreed. 

Norwich Union (including Aviva), Colman's and Lotus all seemed good in my opinion displayed on the shirts.....A piece of local identity and representation.....

Carabao is an interesting one. They must have paid a fortune to sponsor a cup competition for the sole benefit of introducing themselves into the UK market.

Energy drinks are big in Thailand and these, after Red Bull, are the second biggest Thai company in this respect. Thais consume the stuff morning, noon and night. Lorry and mini-van drivers on overdrive use the stuff to keep going. Its a recognised danger.

With all this moralising surrounding BK8 the dangers of overuse of energy drinks to the health of imbibers (mainly the younger) need mentioning.

They have increasingly become a source of caffeine overdoses. Too much of these stimulants and chemicals can cause dependence,  dehydration, insomnia, heart palpitations and/or an increased heart rate in both children and adults. They are an artificial stimulant from the top draw.

They make the odd fag seem safe by comparison, yet the Football League accept their money.

Betting sites, including BK8 are just the tip of the ice-berg.

Norwich City need not hang their head in collective shame. It was a mistake for sure, but where does it all begin and end?

Edited by BroadstairsR

53 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Norwich City need not hang their head in collective shame. It was a mistake for sure, but where does it all begin and end?

With energy drinks, it begins somewhere this side of Black Sex Energy

Black - Sex Energy Drink 250ml | 5900552041429| Department products at  Moldova Retail Stores.

Glad I could be of service.

9 minutes ago, kirku said:

With energy drinks, it begins somewhere this side of Black Sex Energy

Black - Sex Energy Drink 250ml | 5900552041429| Department products at  Moldova Retail Stores.

Glad I could be of service.

Can I get it on Amazon?

11 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Can I get it on Amazon?

I've no idea, can you?

9 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I was about to ask about Cinch.

I noticed they were sponsoring the England cricket team (previously Nat West sponsored?) but have also announced sponsoring the 4 Scottish pro football Leagues over a 5 year deal. Not withstanding their high profile TV advertising, a quick google search tells me they are also involved in Tennis, Rugby Union and also sponsor Spurs sleeves! In short, they have been 'throwing' a fair bit of money around and are certainly pushing their profile on a fast trajectory.

I see they are part of the BCA Marketplace co, so see where they have grown from, but , I presume (?) that people wouldn't be adverse to a company like these sponsoring us? What's not to like from our angle? I appreciate we may not be their target market, but as we are in the Prem, and they may get a higher profile now that the BK8 agreement has been binned, who knows?

56 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I was about to ask about Cinch.

I noticed they were sponsoring the England cricket team (previously Nat West sponsored?) but have also announced sponsoring the 4 Scottish pro football Leagues over a 5 year deal. Not withstanding their high profile TV advertising, a quick google search tells me they are also involved in Tennis, Rugby Union and also sponsor Spurs sleeves! In short, they have been 'throwing' a fair bit of money around and are certainly pushing their profile on a fast trajectory.

I see they are part of the BCA Marketplace co, so see where they have grown from, but , I presume (?) that people wouldn't be adverse to a company like these sponsoring us? What's not to like from our angle? I appreciate we may not be their target market, but as we are in the Prem, and they may get a higher profile now that the BK8 agreement has been binned, who knows?

I believe it's a brand that has developed out of lockdown. BCA needed a way to sell cars whilst not being able to hold auctions, so in an attempt to disguise that all the cars are trade-ins that the main dealer don't want to touch, they created Cinch.  They are certainly trying to broaden the reach of the brand, so it's the sort of domestic company that could be interested.

• Like 1