Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

The problem with our model

4 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

The club that in under every criteria you could think of is a step up the food chain.

£33m! You think that is a god price for Emi? Been told we don't have to sell and it would be a silly offer.. no true City fan is happy tonight. It's bxllxcks

One thing that stands out tonight is just how many Norwich fans are more excited about our bank balance than having a player like Emi Buendia at the club. 

You do realise in the weeks to come we'll be told that this £30m we are getting for Emi will have to be used to cover the COVID shortfall, and will not be available for the team.

Can't wait for that one 👍🏼

2 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

One thing that stands out tonight is just how many Norwich fans are more excited about our bank balance than having a player like Emi Buendia at the club. 

You do realise in the weeks to come we'll be told that this £30m we are getting for Emi will have to be used to cover the COVID shortfall, and will not be available for the team.

Can't wait for that one 👍🏼

Well they have never invested that sort of money before and 100% they won't this time.

I'd hardly say anyone is frothing at the loins just because the clubs bank balance has been given a hefty boost.

Fact of the matter is, if Emi wanted to stay then we would keep him. Evidently he does not want to stay.

What is left after that is either being miserable about what happened or excited at what could be. Why be miserable?

I'm not happy to see Emi go but think it's naive to think he would still be here when the season starts and bizarre to think that Webber didn't get the best deal possible.

38 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Yep but l've had it now.... No club has ever been promoted and sold its talisman. I mean Villa... the club people on here saying thank god we are not them... the club we came up with.. 

And since they came up they've spent something like £200 million to stay (barely) in the Premier League. According to the accounts their billionaire owners put £126 million into the club in 2019-20. I daresay we'd all welcome Delia and Michael stumping up the odd hundred million, but it ain't ever gonna happen.

Unless the objections are that they could invest that kind of money but choose not to or that they are refusing to sell the club to someone who could, I get why people wish we had more money, but it's just that, wishful thinking.

The point is that even if we spent Ethel £30m it wouldn’t actually replace him because he is that good. Showing what a poor deal it was…should have been nearer 50 of Maddison is an 80m player 

9 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The point is that even if we spent Ethel £30m it wouldn’t actually replace him because he is that good. Showing what a poor deal it was…should have been nearer 50 of Maddison is an 80m player 

We sold Maddison for £24m after finishing 14th in the Championship, and some people were saying he was irreplaceable and we would be in a relegation battle. The same summer we signed Emi for £1.5m, then we won the league.

I'm not downplaying the phenomenal talent Emi has, and I'm not saying I think it's a great deal. I'm disappointed at the fee, but let's see what gems our recruitment team can unearth this summer and look at the window as a whole once it's closed. 

It always hurts to lose amazing players, but without Webber's model and recruitment strategy we wouldn't have signed Emi in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

We sold Maddison for £24m after finishing 14th in the Championship, and some people were saying he was irreplaceable and we would be in a relegation battle. The same summer we signed Emi for £1.5m, then we won the league.

I'm not downplaying the phenomenal talent Emi has, and I'm not saying I think it's a great deal. I'm disappointed at the fee, but let's see what gems our recruitment team can unearth this summer and look at the window as a whole once it's closed. 

It always hurts to lose amazing players, but without Webber's model and recruitment strategy we wouldn't have signed Emi in the first place.

I agree with your post, but as I mentioned earlier in another thread, unearthing a Buendia for £1.5m is a once in a generation find and even with a fantastic scouting network and recruitment team in place, it's nigh on impossible to find someone who can replace Buendia right now. The best we can hope for is that they can use the money to make other areas stronger, as replacing Buendia like-for-like just cannot be done; he's the greatest player I've seen at this club in my lifetime.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I agree with your post, but as I mentioned earlier in another thread, unearthing a Buendia for £1.5m is a once in a generation find and even with a fantastic scouting network and recruitment team in place, it's nigh on impossible to find someone who can replace Buendia right now. The best we can hope for is that they can use the money to make other areas stronger, as replacing Buendia like-for-like just cannot be done; he's the greatest player I've seen at this club in my lifetime.

But Maddison was irreplaceable, so we found someone in Buendia who played a slightly different style of game and had a slightly different skill set. You absolutely can't replace him like-for-like, but you can look for players with similar skill sets and try to accommodate them. It would be quite the trick to find another player in a similar mould who reaches the heights of those two, but let's see what happens. Our scouting team clearly has an eye for talent, and for the kind of player who will complement the overall style and philosophy. I think our squad come August will be significantly stronger than it was in August 2019... but of course, the proof is in the pudding.

A judgement can never be made on selling one player. What is unknown to us is whether the Club have identified replacements? Given the talk only a month or two ago about how it will be better next time around let us perhaps believe that they have. Hope they will not use Covid risks as a reason for not doing so as reasonably this has always been a doubt and is potentially not that substantial relative to Premier League TV money.

2 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

If Chase had sold Buendia there would be riots. We can't keep getting lucky forever.

It's not like Chase sold Sutton in secret, and then called a press conference to say he wouldn't sell him. Oh wait.....

image.png.b72997f8337e5e7951d3899431ae4741.pngspacer.png

Edited by Icecream Snow