Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Last Home Game Of '82.

This popped up on youtube while looking for something else. You may have been there or even rushed the pitch at the end.

(Apologies if already posted and for the blurriness as it goes on.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Was that Maguire scoring the second?

It was Dave Bennett, a gifted player with a sweet left (or on this occasion right!) foot

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Herman said:

This popped up on youtube while looking for something else. You may have been there or even rushed the pitch at the end.

(Apologies if already posted and for the blurriness as it goes on.)

I was there that day. I'm not sure if it was that game, where, because of the minimal amount (plus no expectation of trouble)  of away fans, we were allowed into the other away pen (next to the South Stand) or it may have been another day around that era. Anyone got any better memory than me on that?

29 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I was there that day. I'm not sure if it was that game, where, because of the minimal amount (plus no expectation of trouble)  of away fans, we were allowed into the other away pen (next to the South Stand) or it may have been another day around that era. Anyone got any better memory than me on that?

I was there, remember the Bertschin dust up with Day but can't say I remember a take over of the away end.  The next weekend was even better fun though.

40 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I was there, remember the Bertschin dust up with Day but can't say I remember a take over of the away end.  The next weekend was even better fun though.

There wasn't a lot of Orient fans there, and were in one pen, but I had a feeling (maybe another game?) we were in the adjacent pen. I know the footage shows the obligatory open pen, next to Bernie Patterson and his entourage, but the rest of us were just there to watch the game 😉 

Yes, the following week was very special 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Keith Bertschin loved a goal celebration didn’t he? 😁

You'll find a good one in this. (Yeah, I got caught in a youtube loop.)

• Like 1

An extra long one for you Crabby. FA Cup. Nice interview with Channon at the end.

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I remember we got promoted that season. That game I recall the Orient player continuing to pull Bertchin's hair ! Martin O'Neill was playing in midfield and our two wide players were Mark Barham rignt wing and Dave Bennett on the left side - both real good players. I recall us losing a lot of games in the first half of the season but winning almost every game 2nd half. In the end although we lost a lot more games than the team that finished fourth (can't remember who I think QPR), but by winning more games and I think it was the first season it was 3 points for a win - we went up.

I was in the Barclay and got on the pitch with my best mate John that day . We’d have been 17/18 . Huge thing back then as teenagers to get on the pitch . It was spur of the moment stuff and absolute bloody thrilling . A real highlight for us looking back .I remember getting on John’s shoulders and I think a few players came out on the old City Stand and acknowledged us. Had to wait until 2015 after Ipswich to get on the pitch again  That wasn’t half bad either !! 

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Like 2

I’ve now got it in my head Ken Brown came out and said a few words from the stands to us lot on the pitch. I get these ideas sometimes looking back on things nowadays 😂 

Anyone else there who can confirm or deny ? 

18 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

I’ve now got it in my head Ken Brown came out and said a few words from the stands to us lot on the pitch. I get these ideas sometimes looking back on things nowadays 😂 

Anyone else there who can confirm or deny ? 

I can remember Duncan Forbes at the railway station the next week bellowing out instructions for boarding the right train. No megaphone required 😂

• Like 1

Great away days at Derby and Leicester before a nervy day at Hillsborough. All cash at the turnstile too with no fear of not getting in. Attendances around the country were pretty poor at that time. 

I think you're right,Pockthorpe...I seem to remember Ken Brown did come out and thank us for our support...Above everything else, I recall the sheer joy and adrenaline rush of that sprint across the pitch. That bloody fence in front of the old Barclay took a bit of negotiating, though. Definitely a job for teenagers, I wouldn't fancy trying to haul myself over that nowadays...The latter half of that season was fantastic...!

• Thanks 1

Cheers Herman, really enjoyed that

9 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Great away days at Derby and Leicester before a nervy day at Hillsborough. All cash at the turnstile too with no fear of not getting in. Attendances around the country were pretty poor at that time. 

That 4-1 win at Leicester remains one of my best away days ever. To go to a team that were doing as well as Leicester were at the time, and completely tear them a new one, was fantastic

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Cheers Herman, really enjoyed that

That 4-1 win at Leicester remains one of my best away days ever. To go to a team that were doing as well as Leicester were at the time, and completely tear them a new one, was fantastic

Do you remember the streaker taking Leicester’s penalty 😀