Sign in to follow this  
FenwayFrank

Paulo Rossi dies

2 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

As a very small child he was a player that I thought of as magical along with the likes of Zico and Hugo Sanchez, RIP.

Sounds like you're very much a similar age to me, remember these 3 players as a kid as you do. 

5 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:
1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I recall Rossi was actually the villain of the piece in 1982, outside of Italy. On the one hand the reduction in his ban for match fixing , allowing him to play the the tournament was shrouded in controversy. Italy then had the audacity to beat Brazil in the best game of the tournament who were most people’s favourites after England got knocked out. 

Then we all wanted Italy to beat the Germans . The iconic part of the final was Tardelli’s goal celebration for Italy’s second . 

Great memories. 

A hat trick in a World Cup Final makes him a bit special GPB.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I recall Rossi was actually the villain of the piece in 1982, outside of Italy. On the one hand the reduction in his ban for match fixing , allowing him to play the the tournament was shrouded in controversy. Italy then had the audacity to beat Brazil in the best game of the tournament who were most people’s favourites after England got knocked out. 

Then we all wanted Italy to beat the Germans . The iconic part of the final was Tardelli’s goal celebration for Italy’s second . 

Great memories. 

Especially after Schumacher’s assault in Patrick Battiston in the semi-final.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Wasn't the final.

My mistake and i will put it down to a senior moment.

Big controversy about him playing in 82. Italy were poor in 78 and many felt they let him off the hook for bribery just to solve their goalscoring problems.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

A hat trick in a World Cup Final makes him a bit special GPB.

See earlier mention of Marco Tardelli. And earlier mention of Italy beating Brazil . And earlier mention of playing (west) Germany in the final. 😀

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard