3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Worth bumping to show what a funny old game football is.

1/2 time Villa 0 Southampton 3

To cover all bases to show how football is a funny old game, by the time you read this it could be Villa 4 Southampton 3

That’s my fault, I put the Villa goalkeeper in my fantasy team this weekend ☹️

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

I see Ward Prowse will be in everyone's next weekend.😀

I am surrounded by Villa supporters including my step son who when watching the Southampton Everton game last week was desperate for Southampton to win as Everton would be one of their main title rivals.

I am surrounded by Villa supporters including my step son who when watching the Southampton Everton game last week was desperate for Southampton to win as Everton would be one of their main title rivals.

I've used up my smiley faces so your step son can have a few of these.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Love it, half of my work mates are villa fans and I am back in tomorrow after a week off, so much to talk about with them 🙂

2 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Love it, half of my work mates are villa fans and I am back in tomorrow after a week off, so much to talk about with them 🙂

I just had £1 on Villa to win at 500/1, a waste of money I am sure but better safe than sorry.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

I just had £1 on Villa to win at 500/1, a waste of money I am sure but better safe than sorry.

Haha you a midlander too that gets sick of them going on about winning the league? Oh and 1982!

On 24/10/2020 at 12:55, king canary said:

Well everyone has their comparisons don't they?

Couple of years ago for some it was Fulham, ignoring Wolves. 

Last season Sheffield were the bell of the ball but Villa were to be mocked- £100m just to stay up on the final day?

All I think we can say with much certainty right now are two things in the Premier League...

• Spending loads of money doesn't guarantee success
  • Spending nothing seems to guarantee relegation

The two Bullet points seem fair. Although I’d add a couple more*

spending very little leaves your club in a very strong position upon relegation. Being able to hold onto some of your better assets and add to the squad appropriately 

the odds of doing a Portsmouth / Sunderland style nosedive is basically zero. I’d even go as far to say that when the likes of Sheffield United / Villa eventually go down again I’m not quite so sure the picture will be the same for them.

* I lied. I can’t work out how to do them!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Haha you a midlander too that gets sick of them going on about winning the league? Oh and 1982!

I'll join the club. My school is almost exclusively Villa. Was unbearable last season and the start of this one. Something tells me it won't be so bad this week!

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

I'll join the club. My school is almost exclusively Villa. Was unbearable last season and the start of this one. Something tells me it won't be so bad this week!

Yes we moved back to Midlands July.

I have the usual split in the family Villa and Blues with our son being Norwich to his last bone. Converted my wife though after we married with our son she became a Norwich season ticket holder. We are Brownhills now so outside the family more Wolves and Baggies when out and about.

Blues fans just concede they are not very good, but always point out they win the fights. Villa fans just think they are the best team ever and can buy who they want. Of course as it stands at this moment in time Wolves have passed them all by.

Are you a ST holder ?

9 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I bet mate, when I was at school, it was all Villa too. Now it’s work and my footy club, too many of them. Glad I’m playing tonight, they will all be extra quiet and oddly, when they lose, most of em “didn’t watch it anyway”

19 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Sums it help he’s telling asking me how the hell they could lose to Southampton and telling me he doesn’t know how the hell they lost that. 
Explained to him it could be because Southampton scored 4 and Villa scored 2. All is good with them though Ollie Watkins scored again lol.

Yes we moved back to Midlands July.

I have the usual split in the family Villa and Blues with our son being Norwich to his last bone. Converted my wife though after we married with our son she became a Norwich season ticket holder. We are Brownhills now so outside the family more Wolves and Baggies when out and about.

Blues fans just concede they are not very good, but always point out they win the fights. Villa fans just think they are the best team ever and can buy who they want. Of course as it stands at this moment in time Wolves have passed them all by.

Are you a ST holder ?

Moved back about 18 months ago - never been Norwich based though, we were in Nottingham where my partner is from before coming back this way. Always liked Blues as I was mascot for Norwich at St Andrews in the 90s, and Blues were impeccable. Treated me and my family really well. My brother was mascot at Molineux and Wolves were crap and he had a far lesser experience than I did.

Never had a ST - tend to go to a lot of away games though and try to make a pilgrimmage to CR at least once or twice per season.

13 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I bet mate, when I was at school, it was all Villa too. Now it’s work and my footy club, too many of them. Glad I’m playing tonight, they will all be extra quiet and oddly, when they lose, most of em “didn’t watch it anyway”

Should clarify, I teach, I'm not still at school as a pupil! My footy mates are also Villa although they are pretty reasonable so it never tends to get too excited.

O my gosh he’s just informed me it was 3 told him that still didn’t make any difference as they didn’t take any away from Southampton.

I have my quickfire answers all written in my head for every eventuality at least they didn’t go top.

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Moved back about 18 months ago - never been Norwich based though, we were in Nottingham where my partner is from before coming back this way. Always liked Blues as I was mascot for Norwich at St Andrews in the 90s, and Blues were impeccable. Treated me and my family really well. My brother was mascot at Molineux and Wolves were crap and he had a far lesser experience than I did.

Never had a ST - tend to go to a lot of away games though and try to make a pilgrimmage to CR at least once or twice per season.

Should clarify, I teach, I'm not still at school as a pupil! My footy mates are also Villa although they are pretty reasonable so it never tends to get too excited.

Once crowds are back will have to team up. 
Our son is a very good footballer so his season ticket maybe up for grabs occasionally as he moves to under 21 football ( 16 and under 18’s at present ).

35 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Ah fair enough, same boat as you pal. More away games than home. Never lived in Norwich myself. 

I thought no school kid in their right mind would be on here 😂. Strange that the kids in Notts are Villa fans though. Thought it was quite a devout place (like Norwich is).

Just now, Dr Greenthumb said:

Strange that the kids in Notts are Villa fans though. Thought it was quite a devout place (like Norwich is).

Kids where I am now (south of Bham) are Villa fans. In Nottingham, it was pretty strictly Forest fans.

10 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Kids where I am now (south of Bham) are Villa fans. In Nottingham, it was pretty strictly Forest fans.

Makes sense, guessing Redditch/Solihull way! Interesting how many Norwich fans live round this way. They should get a coach sorted for us all 😂

I spent a decade and a half in Brum. Loved it.

My brother-in-law was a Birmingham City supporter and I went to St. Andrews with him many times. The City supporters came over as a very fanatical crowd and very benign and seemingly resigned to their fate of being the underdogs to Villa ... even though at the time they had the likes of Burns, Francis and Latchford to cheer on. I remember the excitement when they signed the playboy Alberto Tarantino very well.

Norwich City themselves were in the top league for the most part also at about that time so, as you say, it was a good area to be in for away supporting,  and Carrow Road was miles away in any case.

Coventry, Wolverhampton, Leicester, Notts, Derby and Stoke all up or down some motorway or other. Forgot the Baggies.

I never knew about that and cannot recall  ever meeting a Norwich City supporter, but we are everywhere. Let's face it 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I spent a decade and a half in Brum. Loved it.

My brother-in-law was a Birmingham City supporter and I went to St. Andrews with him many times. The City supporters came over as a very fanatical crowd and very benign and seemingly resigned to their fate of being the underdogs to Villa ... even though at the time they had the likes of Burns, Francis and Latchford to cheer on. I remember the excitement when they signed the playboy Alberto Tarantino very well.

Norwich City themselves were in the top league for the most part also at about that time so, as you say, it was a good area to be in for away supporting,  and Carrow Road was miles away in any case.

Coventry, Wolverhampton, Leicester, Notts, Derby and Stoke all up or down some motorway or other. Forgot the Baggies.

Was looking forward to this year, home games covered, 2 nice easy trips to StAndrews ( Coventry and Blues ), Derby about the same distance, Forest, Sheffield, Luton to name a few all within the travelling time of a game.

Hopefully then Villa, Wolves and the Baggies next year unless of course Villa are asked to join the 6 in the European Super League, that our stepson tells me would have to have Villa in. Love him to bits but does my head in when he talks about Villa, problem being that’s about 60% of the hours he’s awake.

• Like 1

These clusters of clubs are, of course, not uncommon throughout the country and in this respect Norwich are almost alone in being distanced from any other club of note. Apparently there's a football league club some forty miles away but they hardly count these days. 

What an away support we would have if trips were more convenient. It's pretty robust as it is.

One of the few downsides of being remote I suppose.

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Makes sense, guessing Redditch/Solihull way! Interesting how many Norwich fans live round this way. They should get a coach sorted for us all 😂

Yeah that kind of area. I grew up round here and I have a mate that I converted to be a Norwich fan when we were in primary school, who lives in Stratford now. There's a fair few of us round these parts. My dad is out Worcester way too.

38 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Yeah that kind of area. I grew up round here and I have a mate that I converted to be a Norwich fan when we were in primary school, who lives in Stratford now. There's a fair few of us round these parts. My dad is out Worcester way too.

Blimey! I know of one of other family where I live, it’s good though. Hopefully we’ve gained some through our links to clubs in other countries too

59 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Blimey! I know of one of other family where I live, it’s good though. Hopefully we’ve gained some through our links to clubs in other countries too

Theres an old bloke who lives on the next street who is a city fan too but I dont really see him out and about much.

I've always found villa to be a bit pathetic. They've underachieved for years. 2nd biggest city in the country yet only 4 major trophies since the 80s. They should be so much better. And yes Birmingham too but at least their fans dont go on about how great they supposedly are.  They're just a northern spurs. Another 'big team'  who've won **** all for years. 

Edited by The Raptor
  • Like 1