Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

EPL clubs that need/want Emi, Todd and Max

It's frustrating to read 'Deadline day' this and 'Window Closed' that, knowing full well that we are now effectively fish in the championship barrel with now 20 sides from the EPL with their financial guns pointed squarely into the water. However it has to be said that it allows us to slight refine our predictions and likelihood's of the destinations of our remain 3 Jewels. Does it make it more or less likely? Well I'm not so sure, but lets try to figure our who, out of the top 20 sides could A) Be in dire need of one of these 3 in that position and B) actually be able to afford them.

I'll start by throwing a fag-packet estimation that Todd would be £20 +5 million in add ons, and Max/ Emi somewhere in the region of £25-30 with 5-8 million in add ons. Just purely to give us a rough starting point for the finances too.

Cantwell: The only clubs so far we have seen a link/rumour from appear to be Leeds with the recent interest and Liverpool if we go all the way back to the start of the window and a possible Lallana replacement being floated as an idea. With Leeds it appears they splashed out on their first choice last night and Liverpool appears not a lot more that 2+2 = Todd. Im struggling to see who else would fit the bill, Newcastle?

Buendia: Its a strange one this, despite all the stats and being our best player technically, the only noted interest appears to be from Leeds at the start of the window and an Atletico Madrid rumour back in July I think. Perhaps its the fact that Clubs know full well we will want a big fee and add on/sell ons that they were hesitant to try whilst European options remained open. Again I'm stretching my head to find an Emi shaped hole in any of the side I would deem capable of having the financial clout to move for him. Would a Man City see him as a Silva replacement? Would be be too expensive for Wolves? 

Aarons: Its a long list that dates back to last summer for Max; Arsenal, Spurs, Bayern, Wolves and probably the most startling and actually the only attempt to get him so far; Barcelona. With the Barca move not happening and Spurs/Wolves having signed right backs, its once again hard to see a club that is desperate for a right back that would also be prepared to part with the minimum of £25 million. You drop that sort of money and you'd be doing it for a starter, not to put back into the development circulation. 

So come on guys and gals, there are now only 20 sides they can go to before the window reopening again.. Who needs who, who can afford who? In a way I'm finding it oddly comforting.. 

My hope is the closed international window will help us drive prices up as buying teams have less choice (and we should have enough cash that we can hold out).

Buendia feels like a player who'd fit in well at Wolves but I'm not sure they are actually interested. Equally Brighton like to play a short possession game which may suit him.

Cantwell I kind of feel is up for grabs- there seems to be a proper falling out here so if Fulham or similar come in for him, despite a poor start, I can see him jumping at the chance. 

• Like 1

The window so far has shown that Premier League clubs really don't have 'financial guns' at the moment. Clubs were you might expect to see Todd, Emi or Aarons go are trying to cut costs and have needed to see before they can buy. Most of them have not managed to get their players out and therefore won't be looking to bring players in.

As King says, Norwich should be able to use this period to drive up prices as the pool Prem clubs can shop in has just shrunk massively. The only worry is that if Norwich actually really need to sell one more player to cover any financial black holes or a wage bill considerably higher than they were probably expecting. 

What I hope is that Norwich have a bit of budget and can take advantage of the Premier League players that were looking for new clubs but haven't managed to get a move and the only place open to them is the Championship. Villa used the loan window to bring in Tammy Abraham a couple of seasons ago which turned them from a mid-table team into a promoted team. Hopefully Norwich can find such a loan opportunity to bolster their squad. Harry Wilson sitting at Liverpool unwanted and available sticks out as a player that could be really useful for Norwich.  

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The window so far has shown that Premier League clubs really don't have 'financial guns' at the moment. Clubs were you might expect to see Todd, Emi or Aarons go are trying to cut costs and have needed to see before they can buy. Most of them have not managed to get their players out and therefore won't be looking to bring players in.

As King says, Norwich should be able to use this period to drive up prices as the pool Prem clubs can shop in has just shrunk massively. The only worry is that if Norwich actually really need to sell one more player to cover any financial black holes or a wage bill considerably higher than they were probably expecting. 

What I hope is that Norwich have a bit of budget and can take advantage of the Premier League players that were looking for new clubs but haven't managed to get a move and the only place open to them is the Championship. Villa used the loan window to bring in Tammy Abraham a couple of seasons ago which turned them from a mid-table team into a promoted team. Hopefully Norwich can find such a loan opportunity to bolster their squad. Harry Wilson sitting at Liverpool unwanted and available sticks out as a player that could be really useful for Norwich.  

Your last point is very interesting, Bethnal. It seems to have largely gone unnoticed (it hadn’t crossed my mind for one) that as Prem clubs can’t deal with each other now then this is where the Championship sides could really profit from the loans of some very good players. It is the Premier League clubs only option now if they want to send players out on loan/thin the squad etc. We could definitely benefit from that should we see an opportunity that appeals.

PL sides can only trade with EFL sides from now, so as the only option (other than not buying) you would indeed expect prices to increase.

Rightly or wrongly, I always had an idea that Emi would be more likely to go abroad so maybe he is now less likely to go(?). Cantwell, meanwhile has not ‘properly’ been linked with anyone (I’m pretty sure guys in the pinkun said Leeds haven’t actually made an offer, though still might). There’s certainly some sides like Fulham/WBA who might want to strengthen.

As Bethnal says, there’s a number of decent PL players who we could take a (loan) punt on...that fact that PL sides can’t trade among themselves could possibly be of benefit both ways.

Edited by Branston Pickle

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That is how I saw it too but then this tweet made me think..

image.png.b42068c5307fa92e3634041bc164cd82.png

Is this spend all driven by bigger teams?

40 minutes ago, king canary said:

That is how I saw it too but then this tweet made me think..

image.png.b42068c5307fa92e3634041bc164cd82.png

Is this spend all driven by bigger teams?

There have been a few big spenders in the Prem that have kept the figure high  - the 'Big 6' account for half of all that £1.4bn.

When you look across the League it is the mid table clubs that have really held back - it is those clubs who'd you'd expect to be most attracted to Emi and Todd. Brighton spend less than £10m, Burnley spend £1m, Leicester spend £50m (but recouped all that with Chilwell). It has been a tough window for Norwich to sell in, so getting an initial £35m for Lewis and Godfrey has been an achievement. If they can get the £20m for Cantwell they are hoping for - £55m would be an excellent return.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Harry Wilson sitting at Liverpool unwanted and available sticks out as a player that could be really useful for Norwich.  

I know this was just a passing example, but I see he’s winger- were you thinking of a putative Emi/Onel replacement with this one?

10 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

I know this was just a passing example, but I see he’s winger- were you thinking of a putative Emi/Onel replacement with this one?

Was mostly just an example of a player in the Prem who would go straight into any Champ team and is available.

Although he could be a good replacement for either Todd or Emi. While a very different sort of player, his long shooting ability would definitely be something Norwich currently lack. 

Also just seen that Arsenal are looking to loan William Saliba to a Championship team - that is someone who'd also improve pretty much any first XI in the division.

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Was mostly just an example of a player in the Prem who would go straight into any Champ team and is available.

Although he could be a good replacement for either Todd or Emi. While a very different sort of player, his long shooting ability would definitely be something Norwich currently lack. 

Also just seen that Arsenal are looking to loan William Saliba to a Championship team - that is someone who'd also improve pretty much any first XI in the division.

Saliba would be an unreal signing! Although surely his wages will be monumental being from Arsenal?

17 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I wonder if Wilson could be had on a similar deal to Gibson- loan for a season with a guaranteed price of £20m on promotion.

6 minutes ago, Darth Vadis said:

Saliba would be an unreal signing! Although surely his wages will be monumental being from Arsenal?

Arsenal want him to go to a Championship club and there aren't any clubs in the Championship that have huge, Aston Villa style, budgets. Arsenal would have to subsidise his wages to some extent.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I wonder if Wilson could be had on a similar deal to Gibson- loan for a season with a guaranteed price of £20m on promotion.

That would seem a strong possibility - depending on what Wilson wants of course.

Just a comment on spend, you do need to factor Chelsea’s splurge into things and remember that they were effectively playing catch-up following their previous season’s transfer ban.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I noticed that Villa releases Jota the other day so wonder where he is off to. 

That sort of player on effectively a free that would be a really good signing. 

Suspect he has something lined up but you never know. 

Loans only makes us weaker next season. We develop our players and team.   The team we developed in the championship last time has virtually been ripped apart and it seems we are starting again to a large extent.    The more loans we have the more difficult it becomes if we get promoted as we will have to buy more replacements next season.    If we get promoted (if) we just won’t have the quality required to do any better than last time especially as we won’t spend millions on new players and wages.     Players like Idah and Martin need to feature more often alongside Cantwell and Buendia and we need to stop selling our best players, especially 3 in one window!   Rather develop Platcheta, Hernandez, Martin, Dowell etc than Wilson.

7 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Loans only makes us weaker next season. We develop our players and team.   The team we developed in the championship last time has virtually been ripped apart and it seems we are starting again to a large extent.    The more loans we have the more difficult it becomes if we get promoted as we will have to buy more replacements next season.    If we get promoted (if) we just won’t have the quality required to do any better than last time especially as we won’t spend millions on new players and wages.     Players like Idah and Martin need to feature more often alongside Cantwell and Buendia and we need to stop selling our best players, especially 3 in one window!   Rather develop Platcheta, Hernandez, Martin, Dowell etc than Wilson.

There is a balance between developing Norwich's own players and getting in loans to improve the team.

It doesn't matter how much Norwich develop Idah and Martin if the club get stuck in the Championship and have to sell for cut prices to stay afloat.

While I wouldn't advocate filling the team with loan players - getting someone of obvious quality to strengthen the first team should always be considered. If Norwich are constantly looking at the future, they will forget about the present. 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

There is a balance between developing Norwich's own players and getting in loans to improve the team.

It doesn't matter how much Norwich develop Idah and Martin if the club get stuck in the Championship and have to sell for cut prices to stay afloat.

While I wouldn't advocate filling the team with loan players - getting someone of obvious quality to strengthen the first team should always be considered. If Norwich are constantly looking at the future, they will forget about the present. 

I don't disagree with this, especially the final sentence however, there is a balance between staying in the Championship, being in the EPL and getting thumped and being in the EPL and thriving!    I am probably of the view that with our current plan (and no doubt it will have to evolve) we perhaps need to gamble that progressing some of Martin, Idah, Sorensen, Sinani, Sitti and Famewo (at this level) etc...  instead of the Wilson's (we already have Skipp of course) will afford us better opportunity to thrive in the Prem if and when we get there...... and if we don't this season, it enables them a two year period to develop into top players which is probably more realistic.    

My previous point being that if we do get promoted and Skipp / Wilson went back, its a void we need to fill, which (on last years experience) is likely difficult, expensive and a substantial risk.   Similarly, it's my opinion that players that couldn't cope last season (Vrancic / Steipermann and the lads already surplus) shouldn't be involved this.  You can only applaud the club for bringing in the new players.

The present path is that we have valuable playing assets now and as long as we continue to bring in quality youngsters, provide opportunity and develop them; that production line will continue and along with any money made from loan fee income.... we should expect to keep the wolf from the door financially. 

Not saying this is easy for the club to work out how to evolve the plan, but I expect they had no idea (or expectation) that 1) the plan would 5 players would come through at the same time and be worth £20m or more each..... the problem is they have and sadly, it is threatening to rip the heart from the team.....   Developing, then losing players in groups of 3 is just not sustainable if we want a team that can thrive in the Premier League.    The team has to have some continuity.   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

Aarons deserves a top 10 club i do not know how many of them need a right back though. Buendia i feel if he leaves us and the signs are not good he would be willing to go to any PL club but for me Leeds would be a great fit. A well respected Argentine manager would be a great mentor for him and raise his profile if he has international aspirations, also Leeds have made a wonderful start and look well, placed to do far better than just stay up. Cantwell on his day can do very well in the PL as he showed for us, 7 goals at that level cannot be sniffed at and may make the difference for a club staying up or not, any club form mid table down wards would probably be interested if the price were right