Herman

Nature watch.

There isn't a single sloe left on any of the bushes at work. Would the birds have had them away already? 

On 24/10/2023 at 15:03, Herman said:

There isn't a single sloe left on any of the bushes at work. Would the birds have had them away already? 

In my experience, it's the sloe gin making bastards would have had them away.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

In my experience, it's the sloe gin making bastards would have had them away.

That was our plan. Something got there before us. 😁

The other day in pouring rain my neighbours found a budgie sheltering in their hedge.  They put out a message on social media but no one's claimed it yet. 

You learn something new every day, and now I know how to sex a budgie!  Just above the beak there's a little patch which, when they're fully grown, is blueish in males and brownish in females.  And males are more talkative (yes, really!). 

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1

On 24/10/2023 at 15:03, Herman said:

The worst year in the last 10 for sloes. God knows why. Perhaps the strange weather conditions during June and July? Although the blackberries were good. 

I've always picked enough sloes for 4 litres of gin from just one bush but this year it hasn't produced a single berry. I couldn't find any anywhere else. Very annoying as I use Sloe Gin for Christmas presents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Herman said:

Some handy news for those that like a walk. Going out in or just after rain is better for you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001ryhr

My mate was telling me about this on our walk from Gt Yarmouth to Burgh Castle along Breydon Water yesterday.

At one point it absolutely tipped it down (well horizontal with hail mixed in) it wasn't cold, but quite invigorating.

Although we had waterproofs packed, the rain was so sudden and ferocious that we were instantly soaked and didn't bother!

On the plus side, we startled a short eared owl at close quarters, saw 4 cattle egrets and also Curlews and black tailed godwits, little egrets and shelducks, where we were not hopeful of seeing much at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

My mate was telling me about this on our walk from Gt Yarmouth to Burgh Castle along Breydon Water yesterday.

At one point it absolutely tipped it down (well horizontal with hail mixed in) it wasn't cold, but quite invigorating.

Although we had waterproofs packed, the rain was so sudden and ferocious that we were instantly soaked and didn't bother!

On the plus side, we startled a short eared owl at close quarters, saw 4 cattle egrets and also Curlews and black tailed godwits, little egrets and shelducks, where we were not hopeful of seeing much at all.

I'd like to do that walk.  Where does it start and how far is it?

It's 10k give or take.

We parked at Broadland Rugby club car park (opposite side to ASDA) and just followed the path alongside Breydon water to Burgh Castle.

We used 2 cars and dumped one at the Rugby club and you could leave the other one at Burgh Castle Church where parking is free.

Screenshot_20231102-143812.png

Screenshot_20231102-143837.png

• Thanks 3

Jæja 

Another eruption is looking possible and this time Mother Nature is threatening not to play nicely

At risk is the town of Grindavik (where I've been working for the last year, nearly finished now), Svartsengi power station and The Blue Lagoon 

All the previous eruptions have been in the middle of nowhere, where they haven't caused any harm.

Contingency and emergency plans are in place. Hopefully, nothing will happen, but when this part of the world starts to shake it can last for decades. Sooner or later, something important will get trashed 

Seems that it's peak mushroom season. These were just some of (possibly 20) different types I saw on the morning dog walk (new dog...rescued... avatar attached) - up on a moorland field. Many Chanterelles and the 'magic' ones too. Looking these up, they are probably Scarlet Waxcaps.

IMG_20231107_104123.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Seems that it's peak mushroom season. These were just some of (possibly 20) different types I saw on the morning dog walk (new dog...rescued... avatar attached) - up on a moorland field. Many Chanterelles and the 'magic' ones too. Looking these up, they are probably Scarlet Waxcaps.

IMG_20231107_104123.jpg

Nice mushrooms. Cute dog 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Nice mushrooms. Cute dog 👍

Seconded. Good to see you about @sonyc 👍

• Like 2

Blue Lagoon was closed yesterday morning. A M5.2 quake frightened the tourists and staff, so the management decided to take a 7 day break.

I was in Grindavík for lunch today and we had a M4.2 quake that shook  the restaurant around a bit.

It's gone downhill since around 16.00 this afternoon. Loads of quakes over M3. The road to Grindavík, that I have been driving on every work day this year, including earlier today, is now closed as it is broken 😲

1172453692_Screenshot_20231110-185514_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2b8330fb50248e5b72698819be621466.jpg 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Blue Lagoon was closed yesterday morning. A M5.2 quake frightened the tourists and staff, so the management decided to take a 7 day break.

I was in Grindavík for lunch today and we had a M4.2 quake that shook  the restaurant around a bit.

It's gone downhill since around 16.00 this afternoon. Loads of quakes over M3. The road to Grindavík, that I have been driving on every work day this year, including earlier today, is now closed as it is broken 😲

1172453692_Screenshot_20231110-185514_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2b8330fb50248e5b72698819be621466.jpg 

We have our political differences, but I hope you're safe mate.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

We have our political differences, but I hope you're safe mate.

Thanks. I live in Reykjavík so I'm ok

Sadly, the situation has got much worse for the people of Grindavik. The magma is believed to have moved right underneath the town and everyone has been evacuated overnight 😔

Grindavík evacuated

Only time will tell how this ends

• Like 1

2 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Sadly, the situation has got much worse for the people of Grindavik. The magma is believed to have moved right underneath the town and everyone has been evacuated overnight 😔

Grindavík evacuated

Blimey, that is a worrying situation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Grindavík evacuated

Reading that news roll (which is getting updated regularly) it is so well written - everything is explained that anyone needs to know, with advice given in such a thoughtful way to residents. I think it provides an insight into the Icelandic culture somehow. I read too that some families have lost their homes where the cracks have opened up the streets. Plus there are real concerns of a repeat of 1973. Apparently over 800 earthquakes on only a few hours. Let's hope this magma channel empties soon and people can go back and infrastructure can be rebuilt. Hope you all keep safe in such a worrying time. 

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, sonyc said:

Reading that news roll (which is getting updated regularly) it is so well written - everything is explained that anyone needs to know, with advice given in such a thoughtful way to residents. I think it provides an insight into the Icelandic culture somehow. I read too that some families have lost their homes where the cracks have opened up the streets. Plus there are real concerns of a repeat of 1973. Apparently over 800 earthquakes on only a few hours. Let's hope this magma channel empties soon and people can go back and infrastructure can be rebuilt. Hope you all keep safe in such a worrying time. 

It's not looking good 😔

Predictions are that this could be worse than the Westman Islands eruption of 1973.

At least everyone is out of town and safe

• Like 1

12 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

It's not looking good 😔

Predictions are that this could be worse than the Westman Islands eruption of 1973.

At least everyone is out of town and safe

Yes, the latest report (reported in the early hours here) suggests an eruption could be within hours or perhaps only a couple of days, such is the speed of the flow - quite a bit of detail in this article...(and a detailed map in the Independent).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/12/iceland-experts-predict-feared-volcanic-eruption-could-destroy-town-near-reykjavik?

I'm pleased everyone has got out even though the disruption to lives and families is hard to comprehend if the expert opinion proves to be accurate.

Are there any experts on mushrooms? An odd question. I'm not, but I've downloaded an app (I'm a bit of a nerd I guess) and it's opened up a lot of interest and even appreciation of them. The field where I take the dog is stuffed full of them. All kinds...a  few photos to follow (maybe more later):

Slimy Waxcap

Fairy Ring mushrooms

Dewdrop Mottlegill

Blue Roundhead

Pinkedge

Parrot Waxcap

IMG_20231111_105125.jpg

IMG_20231111_105235.jpg

IMG_20231111_182556.jpg

IMG_20231111_182621.jpg

IMG_20231113_104225.jpg

IMG_20231113_104028.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

More mushrooms from a wood walk. 

Mica Cap (first two). Apparently you can boil these with cloves to make a black ink. However, they are very poisonous. They have bluey edges. 

3rd. Plums and Custard.... great name.

4th. Blue Cheese Polypore. 

5th. Yellow Staghorn

IMG_20231116_145309.jpg

IMG_20231116_145408.jpg

IMG_20231116_152202.jpg

IMG_20231115_134330.jpg

IMG_20231116_153654.jpg

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, sonyc said:

More mushrooms from a wood walk. 

Mica Cap (first two). Apparently you can boil these with cloves to make a black ink. However, they are very poisonous. They have bluey edges. 

3rd. Plums and Custard.... great name.

4th. Blue Cheese Polypore. 

5th. Yellow Staghorn

IMG_20231116_145309.jpg

IMG_20231116_145408.jpg

IMG_20231116_152202.jpg

IMG_20231115_134330.jpg

IMG_20231116_153654.jpg

They do have great names. The yellow staghorns are cool.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

They do have great names. The yellow staghorns are cool.

Yeh, I agree.

How about Artist's Conk?!

(Second photo screenshot from the app)

IMG_20231116_154940.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-15-15-00-58-088_com.glority.picturemushroom.jpg

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Very fond memories of my uncle and dad taking me and my brothers mushroom gathering in the forests around his house. A simple way to keep kids busy for an day but we had a great old time. Handed down knowledge taught him what was edible and what was poisonous, probably a talent that is being lost sadly.

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Very fond memories of my uncle and dad taking me and my brothers mushroom gathering in the forests around his house. A simple way to keep kids busy for an day but we had a great old time. Handed down knowledge taught him what was edible and what was poisonous, probably a talent that is being lost sadly.

Reading up about all the kinds I've come across this last month has been an eye opener. The Mica Caps in one of the photos are nasty, a Heath Bell I came across is classified as lethal. Two others, Brown roll-rim and the Common Earthball give you stomach problems / organ failure that would no doubt lead to hospitalisation depending on how much you ingested.

A few others are also advised against eating (mildly poisonous). So many mushrooms  that can kill a person in a wood or in a field! And all of them discovered no doubt by folk in the Middle Ages, maybe even before.

Probably best never to try any unless bought at markets.

Few more here in the meantime:

Snowy Waxcap

Birch Polypore

Buttery Collybia

Smoky Polypore

IMG_20231118_160539.jpg

IMG_20231116_154323.jpg

IMG_20231116_155028.jpg

IMG_20231115_134200.jpg

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

Those photos are fantastic @Pockthorpe, they really stand out. My groups tend to be the various Waxcaps in a moorland field (which has been fallow possibly for centuries) and a wood on the doorstep. The latter is more varied with lots of Birch, Oak, Beech and Larch - almost gothic it is to walk through.

A couple more types spotted today - a Common Ink Cap family and some Elastic Oysterlings, which I think are less common. Pure white they were but the photo is not as sharp as I would have liked.

IMG_20231120_142849.jpg

IMG_20231120_142830.jpg

• Like 2