Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

DF - loyalty, love for the club, seeing the project through

On 03/07/2020 at 23:19, lake district canary said:

It has not been a disaster in the eyes of clubs who want a coach to play a certain style of football - the kind of football we witnessed last season and in spells this season. His style of football has been praised this season to the extent that earlier this season we have been called the best team to ever be at the bottom of the league. So top clubs will not be looking at him from how he does with a club with small resources - they will be looking at him to see what kind of football he plays and what other qualities he can bring.  

So we lost too many games this season, but as many have said, this is down to being a club on less resources than every other team in the division.  Give DF a quality and settled back four (not one that has been beset by injuries), a midfield of superb skill AND experience (the latter of which we have not had) and a couple of top quality strikers (not just one upon too much hope has been put) - and you would see the kind of football the likes of Man City and Liverpool play.  He will move on to a bigger club at some stage, without doubt, but as long as we can keep him, then we can look forward to football like last season and at times this season. 

This season has been largely very disappointing in terms of results, but in other ways there is a lot to be proud of - the young players developing, the style of football as against Man City and in cup games, as well as against Leicester twice - and actually in quite a lot of games where we dominated for long spells, without quite having the firepower/physicality to get us over the line - and is it Farke's fault that we didn't have that extra that we needed? No, it is a case of resources, for which DF accepted and knew when he took the job, but had no control over.

Bigger clubs will be well aware of our situation, the qualities DF brings to the table, a fresh young coach with the ability to inspire and instill top values of ethics allied to an often scintillating way of playing football and who has reached the top division in the UK on a shoestring budget. So any top club that wants the best will look at DF as a real contender for their next coach. We will do well to keep him - it looks as if he will honour his contract, which is brilliant, but he will be hard to keep hold of after that and if we go down and get promoted again, it will be with a better and stronger set up than we have had so far - because that was the plan and has been all along, to develop over four or five years. We've had him for three years which have flown by, I hope we get to keep him for at least the next two seasons and if possible beyond that - but make no mistake, bigger clubs will be tracking him as their next coach. As I said, we will do well to hang on to him.

Excellent post

• Thanks 1

19 other teams saying that we're the best team to play against for a gift of 6 points this season more like.

Of course they're going to like our style, conceding readily and scoring infrequently, who wouldn't want to play against us?

Get real

On 03/07/2020 at 22:39, lake district canary said:

I think you underestimate the impression he has made in creating a Championship winning team from nothing, which is what he did at Norwich over two years.  He started with totally new players from scratch, instilled a spirit and togetheness as a club that was - and is - remarkable, both in the scale of the achievement and the style of it. Take his Dortmund background too  (B team or not, it is still Dortmund) and his cv is up there with the best. 

His insistence on playing the same style of football in the PL is testament to his belief in how football should be played - and at a club that could afford to buy top players, his methods would work superbly well. That he has struggled to get the team successful this season is more to do with resources than his ability. 

He has also shown loyalty and commitment to the club - again a trait that will be valued by the best clubs. All in all, I don't know how anyone could think he will not be in demand by any top club, particularly in Germany.

Wouldn’t Potter (at Brighton), Wilder (at Sheff Utd), Hasenhuttl (at Southampton) or even Eddie Howe (got Bournemouth promoted with no star names and kept in the top league for a few seasons) Etc Etc be  seen as ‘better’ managers than DF. 

I think the yellow & green biased view Can distort or distract from the realities...?!

7 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Wouldn’t Potter (at Brighton), Wilder (at Sheff Utd), Hasenhuttl (at Southampton) or even Eddie Howe (got Bournemouth promoted with no star names and kept in the top league for a few seasons) Etc Etc be  seen as ‘better’ managers than DF. 

I think the yellow & green biased view Can distort or distract from the realities...?!

Those managers were given plenty of money to spend on players and Eddie Howe had years at Bnmth - and with money - to create something, Farke moulded a side with virtually no money in football terms and a whole lot of new players, in one year. I think that speaks volumes for his ability.

Edited by lake district canary

45 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Those managers were given plenty of money to spend on players and Eddie Howe had years at Bnmth - and with money - to create something, Farke moulded a side with virtually no money in football terms and a whole lot of new players, in one year. I think that speaks volumes for his ability.

Let’s be honest. Pukki was a miracle last year. I am not sure if the promotion was brilliant management or a fluke. Probably the latter.

I still believe that many other managers have more ‘credit’ than DF in the wider world. 

21 points is really bad.

2 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Let’s be honest. Pukki was a miracle last year. I am not sure if the promotion was brilliant management or a fluke. Probably the latter.

I still believe that many other managers have more ‘credit’ than DF in the wider world. 

21 points is really bad.

Let's be honest in that you are trying to rewrite history because of current events. This year has been very poor, last year was brilliant. But don't pretend that last year was a fluke because it is **** at the moment. We see through this bollox as it has been done before.

51 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

LDC

If we do not win another game this season, which is likely, we are officially one of the worst teams ever (in this league). We need 12 more points to equal are previous worst points tally. (4 more wins from 5 games!)

Let’s just take a few minutes and think about this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fourfourtwo.com/amp/features/worst-premier-league-teams-ever-points-total

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Let's be honest in that you are trying to rewrite history because of current events. This year has been very poor, last year was brilliant. But don't pretend that last year was a fluke because it is **** at the moment. We see through this bollox as it has been done before.

We were pretty poor until October. And then brilliant.

Yes it's been a strange season in which a lot of players can be said to have had a good season individually (Cantwell, Godfrey, Aarons, McLean, Lewis, Krul, Pukki), but we haven't done well as a team. 

Good for selling on our players, not so good for our final league position.

It's interesting to compare it to Sheffield United's season. They've obviously done fantastically well as a team, but how much money would their players fetch? I reckon ours will fetch a lot more. It reminds me a bit of our prem season under Lambert.  We were much better as a team than we are now, but Jamal Lewis for example would sell on for a lot more than Marc Tierney.

Martin Penney of MFW comments on 3 things about next year in his article this morning:

1. Will we have 4 fit centrebacks for the start of the season

2. Will we have steel in the team

3. Will there be new investment

He reckons the answer is a negative to each of those questions, the first two being things we should be thinking about and planning for now, the last being somewhat a rhetorical question.

If we've been found out this season in our playing style, what makes anyone think it might be a breeze next time? If DF and SW are still around then it will be good to hear their thoughts after this miserable ending of a campaign. I'm hopeful they have, more so than Penney thinks.

Edited by sonyc

9 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

LDC

If we do not win another game this season, which is likely, we are officially one of the worst teams ever (in this league). We need 12 more points to equal are previous worst points tally. (4 more wins from 5 games!)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fourfourtwo.com/amp/features/worst-premier-league-teams-ever-points-total

Yes but I genuinely think you can't compare this season too much. It's been unusual for so many reasons.

a) Coronavirus has meant we've played without a home crowd, which has historically been massively important for us as a club, although previously hard to quantify. (Can you imagine Southampton back in the day playing without the advantage of being at The Dell?)

b) Massive/very specific injury list in our most vulnerable position - CB. 

c) VAR has, on average, favoured the bigger clubs. No doubt.

Why focus on the negatives when before the lock down people were saying we were one of the best teams to play at the bottom. Cheer up.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Nice to see Villa on that list with just 17 points, just four years ago, with all their money. Kind of puts it into perspective.  Yes, it's been bad, but it's not all bad. Why do people focus on the bad stuff all the time?   This season I won't remember the bad performances, I'll remember the highlights, the performances against Leicester, our win over Man City, our home performance against Spurs and the brilliant goal created by Vrancic and Pukki (it will always be a goal in my mind), our cup performances all of which were excellent - and the joy at Spurs winning the penalty shoot out with such conviction with Cantwell and Idah's superb penalties and King Krul's saves. 

All that was of course before the lockdown and restart and since then it has been difficult if not impossible for the teams that are at the bottom to get back at the rest - the lack of fans has been more crucial for that than for teams nearer the top. And the substitution debacle which again favours the bigger clubs.

This season is a one off, it has been interupted with undreamed of stress and worry for all concerned and should not be grouped in with other seasons stats.  Anyway even if we are relegated we won't be anywhere near as bad as Villa and Sunderland at the bottom of that list.

2 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

We won a lot of home games prior to Coronavirus 😂 

Well no but we beat Man City, drew with Tottenham and should have won. I find it hard to imagine those results happening without our home crowd.

Ldc... I don’t totally disagree with you. But I do feel that the owners, Webber and Farke deserve criticism... and a review regarding if this approach is any good.

The lack of goals Scored and Amount of goals against is extremely worrying. We can have all the ball we want if we do very little positive with it!

1 minute ago, SplatCat said:

Well no but we beat Man City, drew with Tottenham and should have won. I find it hard to imagine those results happening without our home crowd.

1-5 Aston Villa

0-2 Watford

1-2 Sheff United

1-2 Wolves

1-1 Crystal Palace 

etc

5 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

1-5 Aston Villa

0-2 Watford

1-2 Sheff United

1-2 Wolves

1-1 Crystal Palace 

etc

Well done you can identify negative results.

Meanwhile sane people can try to identify why these results have happened and the wider context. You are peddling an agenda.

On 03/07/2020 at 18:36, pete said:

Cannot think he couldn't get more money elsewhere almost anywhere.  Certainly not PL however and anyone seeing our defence work will not have been interested.  Maybe a second tier German club surely not a Bundesliga team.  Approached during this season apparently perhaps after Man C game but not since October methinks.

I dunno, any potential clubs would be after him himself, not our squad - his system with world class players I suspect would actually be very effective indeed.

Meanwhile we would be looking forward to Neil Warnock waving a City scarf over his head. No thanks.