Sign in to follow this  
king canary

David Bowie

16 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I quite like their current single

It's not too bad to be honest. I think we can all agree it ain't Sticky or Exile though. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Octopus garden is a classic as far as I'm concerned. Poor old Ringo gets alot of undeserved stick.

Id far rather listen to that than the earlier stuff. love me do, please please me, i feel fine. Stuff like that i just find dull. I guess you had to be there. 

Yes. That new rolling stones song is great. Probably because they've made no attempt to change their sound and it just sounds old! 

Of course, the early Beatles stuff was their dipping the toe into the songwriting genre. And songs like She Loves You were really school playground songs that everyone could sing along to. What made them special was that they were pretty much the first group to be doing this and produced a totally unique sound, though had Buddy Holly not died I expect he would have claimed the credit. And yes you did have to be there, nothing in popular music has come anywhere close to the effect of the early Beatles, musically or culturally. 

On the topic of David Bowie, I see the cancel culture mob now has Bowie in their sights over his song China Girl. Where will it end?

Mark Francois heard the Laughing Gnome for the first time and is absolutely furious. He's written to David Bowie in the strongest terms possible. 

The Beatles were phenomenal in their ability to be one jump ahead of your expectations. Their coming together & development (in which George Martin was crucial) is one of the most remarkably serendipitous occurrences in music ever.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

On the topic of David Bowie, I see the cancel culture mob now has Bowie in their sights over his song China Girl. Where will it end?

Do they? Or is it just a few people on twitter?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Love that

What a strange film that was. I found the first 30 minutes quite cringey and a bit unfathomable and then the film just developed and grew from there. In the end it was much more interesting.

If it had been a similar book (I know, it has been, but just making my point) I would not have read past the first 10 pages.

In terms of this film however, the writer I believe was Laurens Van Der Post and he is one of a few authors that I've read more than one of his books!

Edited by sonyc

7 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Of course, the early Beatles stuff was their dipping the toe into the songwriting genre. And songs like She Loves You were really school playground songs that everyone could sing along to. What made them special was that they were pretty much the first group to be doing this and produced a totally unique sound, though had Buddy Holly not died I expect he would have claimed the credit. And yes you did have to be there, nothing in popular music has come anywhere close to the effect of the early Beatles, musically or culturally. 

China Girl wasn't one of his best. I think it was just a filler for the Lets Dance album.

To think he recorded his brilliant version of Wild is the Wind at the same time as he wrote China Girl just doesn't add up to me.

Mr Jones and Shyster at the latters flat in 1983:

Edited by Jools

19 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

China Girl wasn't one of his best. I think it was just a filler for the Lets Dance album.

To think he recorded his brilliant version of Wild is the Wind at the same time as he wrote China Girl just doesn't add up to me.

China Girl was written with Iggy Pop for the latters brilliant 'The Idiot' album 👍

Of course Bowie's version appeared on the 'Let's Dance' album.

19 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I'd say the following was filler on that album, Grandad 😜

Correct -- Chris Buxbaum of Bowiewonderworld infamy...

Good detective skills 👍

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Your name isn't Chris Buxbaum. 

Correct again 😀

25 minutes ago, Jools said:

Correct -- Chris Buxbaum of Bowiewonderworld infamy...

Good detective skills 👍

Why lie....did you hope to get away with it ?

Editing your post to cover up the lie hardly helps.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MooreMarriot said:

Why lie....did you hope to get away with it ?

Editing your post to cover up the lie hardly helps.

Nay, I openly lied, I was attempting to impress you people with the lie that that was me in the photo with Bowie...

All I can do is offer my unreserved apologies.

6 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Jools 'I was mates with David Bowie'

Swindo 'I've got an instagram girlfriend'

A couple of sad fantasists.

Who'd of thought it? 🤣

got-one-hook-line-and-sinker.jpg

🙃

I was clearing out some stuff at home and found this photo of me meeting the Beatles back in the day. I'd forgotten all about it to be honest. Happy memories.

Quand Mohamed Ali rencontrait les Beatles

• Haha 3

Not one to boast but as everybody else is at it... here's a picture I found the other day of that time i met (and got the autograph of) royalty... and before anyone starts a trawl to try and disprove the validity of the picture, yes, I am a 13th century baron, so have at it.

image.png.aff08b86bf4ee01f13797b97e3012c9f.png

• Haha 1

great moments in history -

That's the last time we go out for supper with them

Classic paintings with secret messages

'well, I didn't have starter and my main was the cheapest one........'

• Haha 1

On 29/06/2020 at 09:35, Herman said:

Good wasn't it. Great band behind him. 

The only band I would love to see once is Talking Heads. But that ain't going to happen any time soon. 

Chris Frantz has a book out

Looks like the Talking Heads reunion is scheduled for sometime after the sun goes red giant 

• Thanks 1