Well b back

Come on Sarah

3 hours ago, Well b back said:

There are reports that the U.K. may bow to pressure and reissue the Pfizer second dose advise at 6 weeks. This would come as no surprise. In our usual way I must stress at the moment these are just reports and I will keep you updated.

Thanks - fair enough if they decide this is necessary then it’s important to take the right approach especially as more and more data must be coming in.

It would be a real shame because that would mean 6 weeks’ of Pfizer doses going to 2nd doses and leaving the same number of other people without a first dose for that 6 week period at a critical time. So I can’t deny it would be a major disappointment. But like so many things about this pandemic, we have to accept what it is, not what we’d like it to be.

13 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Thanks - fair enough if they decide this is necessary then it’s important to take the right approach especially as more and more data must be coming in.

It would be a real shame because that would mean 6 weeks’ of Pfizer doses going to 2nd doses and leaving the same number of other people without a first dose for that 6 week period at a critical time. So I can’t deny it would be a major disappointment. But like so many things about this pandemic, we have to accept what it is, not what we’d like it to be.

to be honest, we'd still cover the most vulnerable and we have managed to stop the increasing cases. The 6 week 2nd dosing would be starting en masses around mid February anyway by which point we'll be well on with the AZ/Oxford rollout.

It also means that April/May won't won't so rammed with 2nd doses as well. Eventually we all need 2 doses of whichever of the jabs so it's not going to speed us out of lockdown by delaying 2nd doses anyway.

Hopefully by early summer, we'll have a couple more approved vaccines, the delivery of moderna and a we'll ramped up infrastructure so mass vaccinations should be a fairly seamless operation.

I think we all just need that bit of extra patience sadly. It would be nice if we could occasionally get some good news and some form of strategy out of this mess.

Is this finally the treatment that turns COVID into a disease more like flu ? Let’s hope so it does not seem like it’s a trial.

Germany will become the first country in the EU to use the same experimental drug which was credited with helping former US president Donald Trump recover from Covid. 

Health Minister Jens Spahn did not confirm the name of the drug manufacturer but said it was the same drug used on Mr Trump. 

The experimental antibodies treatment will help protect high-risk patients in the early stage against a serious deterioration, Spahn said. 

He told the Bild newspaper that the country had bought 200,000 doses and would start using it next week.

• Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Well b back said:

Is this finally the treatment that turns COVID into a disease more like flu ? Let’s hope so it does not seem like it’s a trial.

Germany will become the first country in the EU to use the same experimental drug which was credited with helping former US president Donald Trump recover from Covid. 

Health Minister Jens Spahn did not confirm the name of the drug manufacturer but said it was the same drug used on Mr Trump. 

The experimental antibodies treatment will help protect high-risk patients in the early stage against a serious deterioration, Spahn said. 

He told the Bild newspaper that the country had bought 200,000 doses and would start using it next week.

Sounds like it’s Regeneron, around €2000 per dose, a good investment.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/2021/01/24/germany-to-use-regeneron-drugs-used-by-trump-to-treat-covid-19.html

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2035002

https://www.regeneron.com/covid19

Edited by Van wink

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

Ah thanks I came on here to check some info then track it down, so that’s saved me a job. 
If I have read that paper correctly ( it is very in-depth ) that’s one set of amazing results.

Thats one hell of a price as well, but if I have read this right if you are in a high risk group and become positive you are immediately given this wow. 
I assume it’s price is the reason we have not bought it, so fair play to them.

Anyone want to comment on how good or not so good the results are in case I have read them wrong ?

17 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Ah thanks I came on here to check some info then track it down, so that’s saved me a job. 
If I have read that paper correctly ( it is very in-depth ) that’s one set of amazing results.

Thats one hell of a price as well, but if I have read this right if you are in a high risk group and become positive you are immediately given this wow. 
I assume it’s price is the reason we have not bought it, so fair play to them.

Anyone want to comment on how good or not so good the results are in case I have read them wrong ?

It sounds like it’s used to reduce the viral load in the early stages of infection, before your own immune system gets to kick in, presumably is buying a bit of time and also clinical severity is linked in part to the viral load. Yes sounds expensive but compared to the human and financial cost of ICU it’s a bargain if it works.

Edited by Van wink

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

It sounds like it’s used to reduce the viral load in the early stages of infection, before your own immune system gets to kick in, presumably is buying a bit of time and also clinical severity is linked in part to the viral load. Yes sounds expensive but compared to the human and financial cost of ICU it’s a bargain if it works.

Absoloutely that’s how I read it, what an amazing breakthrough. 
I always thought Trump was lying but that really does explain it and if I remember he wasn’t given that until he was already on oxygen.

My head described it as a vaccine if you get positive before you get a vaccine, I hope that’s correct and I haven’t misled there.

11 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Absoloutely that’s how I read it, what an amazing breakthrough. 
I always thought Trump was lying but that really does explain it and if I remember he wasn’t given that until he was already on oxygen.

My head described it as a vaccine if you get positive before you get a vaccine, I hope that’s correct and I haven’t misled there.

My understanding is it’s an anti viral, so what I believe that does is to prevent the virus replicating within the body.

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

My understanding is it’s an anti viral, so what I believe that does is to prevent the virus replicating within the body.

It’s amazing, I suppose relatively anti biotics would have been really expensive until they were mass produced and proven to work as well as they do.

Looks like we can add Novavax to the list!

89% efficacy in phase 3 trials and around half the cases in the trial were the Kent variant.

Looks like we make it in UK as well so another one that should be easy for us to make and distribute.

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Looks like we can add Novavax to the list!

89% efficacy in phase 3 trials and around half the cases in the trial were the Kent variant.

Looks like we make it in UK as well so another one that should be easy for us to make and distribute.

Wonderfull news

On 24/01/2021 at 12:06, Well b back said:

200,000 doses sounds about enough to vaccinate the MPs, senior civil servants and a few heads of industries.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

200,000 doses sounds about enough to vaccinate the MPs, senior civil servants and a few heads of industries.

Just shows how quick you are to try and justify yourself as you didn’t read the post, it’s not a vaccine it’s a treatment for the seriously ill.

Stick your nationalism up your **** where people’s lives are at risk RTB, I expect better from you.

A bit more on the Sputnik V Oxford trials. 
They are ready to go and with AstraZeneca now at the helm, the authorisation process is already under way ( rolling ). It is hoped that will increase the efficacy of both to 95%.

• Thanks 2

A fantastic achievement on Saturday to get to close to 600k first doses given taking the total so far to almost 9m.  Back in early December we were batting numbers around and 200k/day was floated which would equate to 6m per month, obviously daily numbers fluctuate but fantastic to have the system with capacity so much above that.

Also all care home residents have been offered the vaccine apparently (first jab), with a few exceptions where the home has a current Covid outbreak. 

Also we've placed an additional order for the French vaccine for next year, which shows the plan is to have a big choice of vaccine supplies available going forward and capacity to pass on surplus numbers to other countries. 

My guess TBH is we'll complete the first pass vaccination programme for all over 18s (excluding refusals and those with conditions which stop them having the vaccine) by the end of the summer and will re-start with updated vaccines then to cover mutations in the virus, hopefully to prevent any resurgence next winter.

This is a roundup from the Sky news website of the total numbers ordered so far :

needle.png

UK has secured 407 million doses of vaccine - here's a rundown

Confirmation the UK has secured another 40 million doses of French vaccine candidate Valneva brings the total ordered to 407 million.

Here are the vaccines the UK has access to:

BioNTech/Pfizer

Doses: 40 million - enough for 20 million people.

The vaccine was approved for use on 2 December.

Oxford/AstraZeneca

Doses: 100 million - enough for 50 million people.

The jab got the green light from the MHRA on 30 December.

Moderna

Doses: 17 million - enough for 8.5 million people.

The jab from the US biotech firm has also been approved for use but doses will not be available until the spring.

Novavax

Doses: UK has secured 60 million doses.

Novavax is running a phase three clinical trial in the UK, and plans to manufacture its vaccine in the UK with Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies.

Results from those trials show the vaccine offers 89% protection.

Janssen

Doses: 30 million doses have been secured from Janssen, which is owned by Johnson & Johnson.

Results from clinical studies show the jab is 66% effective overall. Deliveries are expected in the second half of 2021, should it receive approval from the MHRA.

Valneva

Doses: Pending approval, the original order for 60 million is set for delivery in the second half of this year and now the option for a second batch of 40 million doses has been triggered. These have been earmarked for delivery in 2022.

Valneva's site in Livingston, West Lothian, will manufacture the vaccine.

GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and Sanofi Pasteur

Doses: 60 million.

Interim results of early phases of trials show an immune response comparable to patients who recovered from COVID in adults aged 18 to 49 years, but a low immune response in older adults.

• Thanks 2

On 29/01/2021 at 09:05, Indy said:

Just shows how quick you are to try and justify yourself as you didn’t read the post, it’s not a vaccine it’s a treatment for the seriously ill.

Stick your nationalism up your **** where people’s lives are at risk RTB, I expect better from you.

Nothing to stop it from being given pre-emptively. And your remarks on nationalism haven't aged well over the weekend either. 

@Well b back

I stumbled on this 2019 article on adenovirus development at Oxford and thought you might be interested.

It seems from the last paragraph or so that they kind of predicted that the booster shot might be inhibited by the immune response to the vector leading from to decreased efficacy (i think we discussed this a couple of months ago) this may give / probably gives a bit of an indication on what  the sputnik relationship is aiming to achieve. I'm guessing here though as I have not read anything specific.

https://thenativeantigencompany.com/repurposing-adenoviruses-as-vectors-for-vaccines/

On 01/02/2021 at 12:05, Rock The Boat said:

Nothing to stop it from being given pre-emptively. And your remarks on nationalism haven't aged well over the weekend either. 

You’re the one who made a totally derisory remark, you didn’t read it the comment and made the standard anti EU comment when there was no reason too....it isn’t a vaccine it’s a treatment to stop patients going into critical care!

Good news guys, Sputnik V is now confirmed at 92%. Providing the trials go well hopefully that will be the link for Oxford increasing to 95%.

No political comments please, but Sputnik is apparently in with a few regulators including the EU. If you get a chance the Lancet report is suggesting longer protection and can target different parts of the virus. This is extremely good news for Oxford as well, and is looking good for the mix trial. Hope the media haven’t shot themselves in the foot with their comments a few months ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55900622

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Good news guys, Sputnik V is now confirmed at 92%. Providing the trials go well hopefully that will be the link for Oxford increasing to 95%.

No political comments please, but Sputnik is apparently in with a few regulators including the EU. If you get a chance the Lancet report is suggesting longer protection and can target different parts of the virus. This is extremely good news for Oxford as well, and is looking good for the mix trial. Hope the media haven’t shot themselves in the foot with their comments a few months ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55900622

Great news WBB, hopefully we shall see mass roll outs over the globe and beat this little virus into submission.......then keep on top of it like flu! Light at the end of the tunnel. Good old Russian’s👍

• Like 1

76% efficacy for 3 months after first dose of AZ according to Oxford today........more good news

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

76% efficacy for 3 months after first dose of AZ according to Oxford today........more good news

Also may reduce transmission by 67%.....gets better and better.

Delighted that the strategy we have adopted appears to be the right one, certainly in terms of AZ. 

Edited by Van wink

21 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Also may reduce transmission by 67%.....gets better and better.

Delighted that the strategy we have adopted appears to be the right one, certainly in terms of AZ. 

Indeed VW some great news, hopefully the vaccine has the same if not just slightly less effect on the variants too.

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

Indeed VW some great news, hopefully the vaccine has the same if not just slightly less effect on the variants too.

Hopefully over 50%  for AZ🤞We will find out fairly soon. Question is how effective will one jab of AZ  be against varaints?

J and J was about 57% I think but I believe that is a one jab vaxccine but same type as AZ as you know.

Good response for 2 jabs of Pfizer against SA was reported.