Well b back

Come on Sarah

I think this vaccine thread ought to remain current given that we may be heading towards boosters in autumn. This story at lunchtime provides lots of positive noises around AZ and boosters/immunity levels so thought worth sharing.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/oxford-covid-vaccine-produces-strong-immune-response-booster-shot-study-2021-06-28/

• Like 1

Thanks @sonyc

Worth noting Andrew Pollards comments about how a third dose must not be given until other countries at least have a chance to have their 1st.

Here you good people go. I haven't listened yet but O'Brien is normally a good interviewer.

https://www.globalplayer.com/podcasts/episodes/7DrcwqX/

Full Disclosure with James O'Brien

By LBC

Sarah Gilbert and Catherine Green

Friday, 16 July

Before the World Health Organisation declared the outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 a pandemic, scientists Professor Sarah Gilbert and Dr Catherine Green had already started developing a vaccine against the virus which would go on to bring the world to a standstill. Their book, Vaxxers reveals the story behind the Oxford AstraZeneca jab, one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of medicine.

On 16/07/2021 at 17:47, Herman said:

Here you good people go. I haven't listened yet but O'Brien is normally a good interviewer.

https://www.globalplayer.com/podcasts/episodes/7DrcwqX/

Full Disclosure with James O'Brien

By LBC

Sarah Gilbert and Catherine Green

Friday, 16 July

Before the World Health Organisation declared the outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 a pandemic, scientists Professor Sarah Gilbert and Dr Catherine Green had already started developing a vaccine against the virus which would go on to bring the world to a standstill. Their book, Vaxxers reveals the story behind the Oxford AstraZeneca jab, one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of medicine.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5BVpe7qh5FOoj3e0wu9ixc?si=Qbj5IPllRVOlVIJFzKe9CA&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

link for Spotify... Will be my mid morning listen whilst I still WFH...

• Like 1

Haven’t got a link yet but today sees the launch of the Sarah Gilbert Barbie Doll, and yes it is not 1/4 that is true

• Haha 2

Potentially good news for AZ

“Ministers are drawing up plans to offer booster shots to 32 million people amid evidence that the protection offered by Covid vaccines gradually wanes.
"We hope that the Oxford-AstraZeneca will provide longer-term protection," Mr Soriot told the Daily Mail.
"The science so far suggests that our vaccine provides a strong T-cell response, which I hope means its effects will last longer. So it looks good, but we don't yet know for sure whether you will need a booster. Time will tell."
Scientists believe T-cells, a type of white blood cell, may provide longer-lasting immunity to Covid than antibodies. In April, a Birmingham University study found that the AstraZeneca jab appeared elicit a stronger T-cell response than either Pfizer or Moderna.
Meanwhile, data collected by Johnson & Johnson, whose vaccine is based on the same technology as the AZ jab, showed it "provides years of protection", Mr Soriot said. 
Pfizer has admitted that the effectiveness of its MRNA vaccine steadily declines over time, dropping to about 84 per cent for vaccinated people about four to six months after getting their second dose.“

• Like 1

Further evidence today that both Pfizer and AZ providing longer term protection against Delta variant, Pfizer protection seems to decline at a faster rate than AZ but it starts from an initial higher level of protection. Less good news about transmission, it would appear that vaccinated people can become infected with high levels of virus which confirms the post above that vaccination may be less effective at preventing transmission than we had hoped. All the more reason to keep getting those jabs. 

Overall the vaccines are an amazing success story, if you can get one that is, for many in the world that is sadly not an option which is a risk to them and to us.

• Like 2

Useful update VW thanks.

This ONS blog covers those points. And at the bottom is a link to a more detailed report (very interesting about Moderna). See second link below (vaccine efficacy tables included for the geeky!)

https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2021/08/19/delta-variant-and-vaccine-effectiveness-what-can-the-cis-tell-us/

https://www.ndm.ox.ac.uk/files/coronavirus/covid-19-infection-survey/finalfinalcombinedve20210816.pdf

• Like 1

"Europe’s drugs regulator on Monday advised that healthy adults can receive a third, booster dose of the BioNTech/Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine six months after the second dose.

The European Medicines Agency’s medicines committee said the recommendation was based on data from a study of 18 to 55-year-olds, showing an increase in antibodies after a third shot. Data has shown that immunity wanes with the vaccines currently in use, and appears to wane more quickly with the BioNTech/Pfizer jab."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That Barbie doll of her is bloody awful though, it looks more like Olive from that TV show On the Busses.

For those of you who don’t remember the repeats, avoid ITV 4 unless it’s The Big Match Revisited or it’s before your time, the actress played Phil Mitchell’s sister in Eastenders during 2005’ish.

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Haha 1

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/24/novavax-expected-to-be-approved-as-fourth-covid-vaccine-in-uk Novavax is in the building! A bit "after the horse has bolted" for our own efforts but still very good news for the worldwide effort and for our economy. I wonder what took so long?

go to 12ft.io if you can't see it all...

Edited by Tetteys Jig

Just thought I would share with you the latest trials for the mRNA vaccines. This is what the flu vaccine will probably look like next year, quite a breakthrough. I also understand the cancer trials we have mentioned so many times are going to plan. This new flu trial shows that maybe even one cancer vaccine will protect against multiple cancers. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63744643

So following on from Pfizer’s success with the cancer drugs and vaccines, we now have amazing news from Moderna. I did think it funny when both bbc and itv were talking about it and said drugs from the pandemic have helped this, whereas all of us who have been on this thread from the day MRNA was first talked about know that it was these cancer vaccines that were already being prepared that were transferred into covid vaccines. So as we know it was cancer vaccine trials that made the covid vaccines available so quickly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63959843

• Like 1

She kinda loved the attention did Gilbert, rather more than actually saving lives.

That vaccine also caused a lot of blood clots and someone’s father on another football forum a friend of mine lurks on, but don’t post, said his father went into remission after being given a dose of it and later died, all despite the fact he was fit as a fiddle and would walk for miles as part of his walking club.

1 hour ago, KernowCanary said:

She kinda loved the attention did Gilbert, rather more than actually saving lives.

That vaccine also caused a lot of blood clots and someone’s father on another football forum a friend of mine lurks on, but don’t post, said his father went into remission after being given a dose of it and later died, all despite the fact he was fit as a fiddle and would walk for miles as part of his walking club.

Sarah Gilbert had nothing to do with the MRNA technology. However for every one sad situation, 1 million lives have been saved. My mother in law was in a care home when hospital patients were released into care homes. She caught from one of them Covid and died a few days later. Had she had a vaccination ( obviously not available at the time ) she would likely have survived. Likewise had the Queen caught covid before vaccinations she to the other end of the scale would almost certainly have died from covid.

On 13/12/2022 at 19:31, KernowCanary said:

That Oxford vaccine had probably saved hundreds of thousands of lives across the world. Unfortunately there were side effects but the balance is firmly with the positive.

The viral vector vaccine  has many advantages over mrna vaccines and it would be a great pity if the West overlooked it.