Well b back

Come on Sarah

6 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I get the feeling that the Oxford vaccine will be attracting greater scrutiny than its competitors 

I know several here are on the vaccine trials. On the last update it said having a trial vaccine, will not stop you having an authorised vaccine when it is your turn. I guess that means there is no problem with you having a second one. After saying that from what I understand 66% is fine to go ahead with. Again I guess we don’t really need America throwing doubts on the Oxford vaccine, having an adverse affect in people’s thoughts of the vaccine.

50 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I get the feeling that the Oxford vaccine will be attracting greater scrutiny than its competitors 

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of that. Oxford supposedly costs $3, Pfizer $20 and Moderna $25-$37, and Pfizer needs a supercooled fridge. So the others either have to be seen as premium quality vaccines or have to discredit Oxford to have much of a market.

BBC have just put up a report on efficacy. Bear in mind we have purchased in advance plenty of Pfizer if we need to use that initially on the older age groups. It seems as I thought regulators were told about the changes and had no problem. This also explains the 1/2 dose and makes total sense now. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55086927

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Well b back said:

BBC have just put up a report on efficacy. Bear in mind we have purchased in advance plenty of Pfizer if we need to use that initially on the older age groups. It seems as I thought regulators were told about the changes and had no problem. This also explains the 1/2 dose and makes total sense now. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55086927

For me a step that AZ could take (I feel they should) would be to run a full age range trial in one of the high infection rate areas of the UK of the 1/2 + full dose to get more data on the efficacy of this dosing regime.

Edited by SteveN8458

12 minutes ago, SteveN8458 said:

For me a step that AZ could take (I feel they should) would be to run a full age range trial in one of the high infection rate areas of the UK of the 1/2 + full dose to get more data on the efficacy of this dosing regime.

Hi Steve

Indeed I believe if they can’t find the answers this is what will happen. Don’t forget as well ( unless something has changed ) in January there is a human challenge trial planned. This however is unlikely to involve over 55’s. I also think ( as it is so cheap ) they will use it, as they have always said the first vaccine won’t necessarily be the last as they get better. I should stress though from what is being said more a problem with do they use 1/2 and 1 or 2 full doses, and not long ago they did already say they don’t know how each one will work in the older age groups. I am more worried about the noises coming out of America than wether the vaccine works.

If they would have left it at 70% efficacy everybody would have been happy ( within reason ) it’s just this unknown of why it’s BETTER in some groups not worse.

NY Times today are more about ‘ lack of evidence for efficacy of the fantastic results ‘ in older age groups. They say could effect time being authorised, but I suggest that would be for the older age groups and we do have Pfizer for that.

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Hi Steve

.................I am more worried about the noises coming out of America than whether the vaccine works.

Hi WBB,

from the NYTimes

"The F.D.A. has said it expects vaccines to be at least 50 percent effective in preventing or reducing the severity of the disease, a bar that the vaccine appears to have cleared even in the group that got the two full doses."

I don't think there will be much of an issue from America, as even in the lower efficacy figures the AZ vaccine passes.

5 minutes ago, SteveN8458 said:

Hi WBB,

I don't think there will be much of an issue from America, as even in the lower efficacy figures the AZ vaccine passes.

Hi Steve

Maybe I worded that wrong, more the ammunition being given to people to talk incorrect doubt, if that makes sense.

This does tie in with some of those rumours, I know the FDA are not meeting until 15/12

Britain could give regulatory approval to Pfizer-BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine as early as this week, even before the US authorises it, the UK’s Telegraph newspaper reported on Sunday. Pfizer and BioNTech could secure emergency US and European authorisation for their Covid-19 vaccine next month after final trial results showed a 95% success rate and no serious side effects.

Moderna last week released preliminary data for its vaccine showing 94.5% effectiveness.

The better-than-expected results from the two vaccines, both developed with new messenger RNA (mRNA) technology, have raised hopes of an easing of a pandemic that has killed more than 1.3 million people.

The UK government has asked the medicines regulator to assess the Oxford/AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine, bringing the country a step closer to a possible rollout.

The request to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) comes a week after the regulator was asked to assess the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.

So how are vaccines authorised in the UK?

• The MHRA is the medicines regulator for the UK government
  • It assesses vaccine trial data for safety, quality of manufacture, and how effective it is in protecting people
  • It then advises the government whether a vaccine is ready to be used
  • It is part of the Department of Health, and employs more than 1,200 people
  • Independent experts on the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) decides how best to use a vaccine and who should get it first
  • The JCVI has about 20 members - all are experts on vaccines
  • It has drawn up interim advice on priority groups for the Covid vaccine, and also considers how many doses to use

So should we disregard this vaccine trial?

“Absolutely not,” says Hunter. Even if the vaccine is really only 62 per cent effective, that is higher than the 50 per cent threshold deemed acceptable by the World Health Organization and the US Food and Drug Administration. If this result had come out three weeks earlier we would have been over the moon, says Hunter. It is just that we have been spoiled by good news from elsewhere, with several other vaccine trials reporting efficacy figures of 90 per cent or more.

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2261092-do-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-results-stand-up-to-scrutiny/#ixzz6f0gyaQ2D

• Thanks 1

Not seen anything here on the tea time news....copying part here:

Hospitals in England told to prepare for Covid vaccine rollout in 10 days' time

Exclusive: NHS could receive first deliveries of Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine as soon as 7 December

Denis Campbell Health policy editor

Fri 27 Nov 2020 17.51 GMTLast modified on Fri 27 Nov 2020 18.34 GMT

•  
  •  
  •  
Shares

Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine illustration  The nature of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine appears to have forced a rethink of who will get it first, with NHS workers expected to be front of the queue. Photograph: Joel Saget/AFP/Getty Images

Hospitals have been told to prepare for the rollout of a coronavirus vaccine in as little as 10 days’ time, with NHS workers expected to be at the front of the queue, the Guardian has learned.

NHS bosses said hospitals in England could expect to receive their first deliveries of a vaccine produced by Pfizer/BioNTech as soon as Monday 7 December, with regulatory approval anticipated within days.

According to sources at several hospitals across the country, NHS England said they should expect to get stocks of vaccine on 7, 8 or 9 December.

Initially only NHS staff are set to be given the jab, with care home residents and the over-80s having to wait. This is despite those two groups being classed by the government as top priorities for Covid immunisation, as they have the greatest risk of death from the disease. Care sector chiefs reacted angrily, warning that the move would be seen as a “betrayal”.

Guidance issued in September by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), the government advisers who decide which groups get priority, said older people in care homes and their staff should be top of the list. Anyone over 80 and all those working in health and social care were the second priority, it said. Public Health England reiterated the priority list in guidance for the NHS on Friday.

Thanks @sonyc

I had 3 instances today but I couldn’t find anything. Our father in laws carer said they were getting told to have people ready end of next week. Then our sons college teacher said he would be getting his vaccine next week, then a report saying we were about to approve Pfizer, but as I said earlier I couldn’t find written stuff anywhere. 
I suppose logically two weeks time will almost be mid December. I also wonder if it’s actually Oxford for NHS and Pfizer into the care homes.

Its certainly getting close.

58 minutes ago, Well b back said:

4 million Oxford doses ready, followed by 15 million by the end of December. ( alledgedly ).

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/26/uk-could-be-first-country-in-world-to-approve-covid-vaccine-13657177/

Let’s be honest if you vaccinate 4 million front line and vulnerable then you’ve protected the NHS and potential death of a third wav3 post Christmas! Age groups 70 and under without underlying issues are less than 1% of those hospitalised and much less to die of Covid! Start on the 7th means the second shot will be just in the new year for the vulnerable and front line workers! Great news.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

makes sense, certainly.

Was around 2 million shielders wasn't there?

I believe so. I still reckon they might get Pfizer if it’s available. 
I was also thinking we can more accurately know we are definitely getting the Oxford doses, so we can use them all on 4 million individuals, knowing you will definitely have the second batch. Maybe not so certain with Pfizer.

There are lots of reports of Pfizer being approved in the next couple of days, which ties in with @sonyc piece yesterday. Also lots saying Pfizer and Moderna maybe more stable in normal refrigeration than first thought.

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Anyone got the FT story ? Looks more and more likely @sonyc was spot on. Also reading between the lines here maybe our Midlands Today guy it right about in areas initially due to -70 requirements.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/covid-vaccine-uk-pfizer-approval-b1763264.html

Not seen the FT @Well b back but I am expecting that we hear this week. Otherwise, that exclusive report detaling the Monday week start of distribution looks ill-founded. 

I read that they're doing more research into those AstroZeneca datasets. Yet, I'm also hopeful we hear about approval for this vaccine also soon. 

I suspect given the Brexit deadline (isn't it Wednesday?) for any deal, to give time enough for ratification, that the media will be full of this particular story over the next two or three days.

Edited by sonyc
  • Thanks 1