Well b back

Come on Sarah

3 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Sarah saves the world, it seems it wasn’t Dolly Parton😉

Plus Sarah has been at it 24/7 according to BBC R4 ....and not just 9 til 5 🙂

(I'll get m' coat...)

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Indy said:

The little said yesterday is part of a sub trial which was being done on different age groups. The 70% results are primarily from the 55 and under fit age groups, since summer additional different older age groups were added with smaller initial dose, this showed better effectiveness, added to wider age group after initial better results. But it’s only a small group tested in the 90% effective group. TJ / WBB will no doubt back this up.

I had a chat Friday with my toxicologist friend involved, he said it’s a game changer as 70% effectiveness and the easy of transportation and storage means heard immunity by the summer.

yep, if this stops transmission in 70% of cases then bye bye coronavirus

also, 0 hospitalisations or severe cases at all in people who got this vaccine so even if you were one of the unlucky 30% (or 10% once they choose the right dosing regimen) then you'd brush it off like the flu at worst

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

yep, if this stops transmission in 70% of cases then bye bye coronavirus

Should we be concerned that in 30% it doesn’t work ?

39 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

I guess more analysis needs to go into what is meant by 'works'.  Does this jab leave 30% of all subjects open to the worst of the disease and 70% have complete immunity to detectable disease, or are there shades of grey whereby even the 30% get a head start against the virus that limits it.

Even in the worst case scenario rapid administration will see this off as an epidemic.

Edited by Barbe bleu

46 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

id need to read more but not really. The UK arm of the trial had 90% success and the best news of all, zero people had a serious case of covid or required hospitalisation. That suggests that rather than it "not working" it just didn't do 100% of the job but did work in suppressing the viral exposure or what the virus did once the patient contracts it.

Supposedly the Brazil arm of the trial where patients got 2 full doses was 62% effective.

I guess we wait on full results now.

Even if it was 70% and that stopped transmission, it would absolutely smash Covid out of the way in no time. That's the key now I guess as well as the logistics of getting the vaccine where its needed which for Oxfords is far easier and cheaper.

• Thanks 1

Thanks TJ

I have been in car so only able to listen radio.

They said it will be likely that we have the 1/2 dose and full dose version. If 70% 80% take up could finish COVID but initially no licence will be asked for children as not even tested on children.

Pollard just on confirming everything already in for authorisation.

We await TJ’s official scientific report rather than my excited press version.

• Like 1

The professor from Oxford University was on the BBC this morning, if I understood what he said correctly, half a does of the vaccine offers 70% effectiveness, with a full dose of the vaccine as a "booster" giving 90% effectiveness. He confirmed that at even 70% effectiveness it made the Oxford University/Astra Zeneca vaccine more effective than the flu jab. Given that the vaccine is cheap to produce, can be kept in a fridge and Oxford University/Astra Zeneca are not for profit their vaccine appears to be a game changer for the whole world, not just the UK..........

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yes they seemed clear on BBC breakfast that 70% was after the first dose and then 90% after 2 doses so really we’re talking about 90%?

Thats not the way I read it.   70% was overall result for both doses but there was a subset in which subjects were given a low dose followed by  a full dose and that gave the 90%.  

Being cynical I might suggest the 90% thing was required to give some partity with results from elsewhere.

I like how the subset results were described as 'intriguing'.  Which i suspect might be code for: "no, we haven't got a clue why either"

22 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Yes they seemed clear on BBC breakfast that 70% was after the first dose and then 90% after 2 doses so really we’re talking about 90%?

May I change that subject to TJs clarification. I believe the trial outside U.K. was 2 full doses that had 62% efficiency. The smaller U.K. trial had the 1st dose as a 1/2 dose and the 2nd as a full dose. This part of the trial was 90% overall 70%.

But as always I will happily be corrected.

Either way it’s amazing news.

Just now, Barbe bleu said:

Thats not the way I read it.   70% was overall result for both doses but there was a subset in which subjects were given a low dose followed by  a full dose and that gave the 90%.  

Being cynical I might suggest the 90% thing was required to give some partity with results from elsewhere.

I like how the subset results were described as 'intriguing'.  Which i suspect might be code for: "no, we haven't got a clue why either"

It was intriguing said Pollard as they are not sure exactly as to why it is 90%. They believe it’s because the 1/2 dose is getting your body prepared for the full dose. But because they can’t be certain way they are not prepared to say.

No serious infections 100% of all vaccinated is the main one.

55 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

The professor from Oxford University was on the BBC this morning, if I understood what he said correctly, half a does of the vaccine offers 70% effectiveness, with a full dose of the vaccine as a "booster" giving 90% effectiveness. He confirmed that at even 70% effectiveness it made the Oxford University/Astra Zeneca vaccine more effective than the flu jab. Given that the vaccine is cheap to produce, can be kept in a fridge and Oxford University/Astra Zeneca are not for profit their vaccine appears to be a game changer for the whole world, not just the UK..........

I don't think thats quite correct, there are two doses required, both to be administered at the same "strength" which gave the 60% result, but they also found in a smaller test that if the first dose of the two was lesser strength when both vaccines had been administered the outcome was 90% efficacy.

Edited by Van wink
sorry this has already been stated
  • Like 1

With the roll out (hopefully) in the second part of December, then lockdown suppression measures may well have been quite well timed. Still, the message needs to be reinforced on good behaviours pre vaccine distribution. Hopefully Johnson can hammer this home tonight.

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

May I change that subject to TJs clarification. I believe the trial outside U.K. was 2 full doses that had 62% efficiency. The smaller U.K. trial had the 1st dose as a 1/2 dose and the 2nd as a full dose. This part of the trial was 90% overall 70%.

But as always I will happily be corrected.

Either way it’s amazing news.

yup, Vector immunity might be the issue there.

Sounds an awful lot like the 30% wasn't pure failure either, viral load etc comes into the equation.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

With the roll out (hopefully) in the second part of December, then lockdown suppression measures may well have been quite well timed. Still, the message needs to be reinforced on good behaviours pre vaccine distribution. Hopefully Johnson can hammer this home tonight.

hope so, there's some serious winning over of sceptics to be done. At least Karol Sikora and a few of the other sceptics are on the vaccine train, should win a few around. You'll get plenty of boneheaded comments like 70%? **** to that, the human immune system is 99.5% effective at fighting covid anyway.

They fail to realise that a vaccine protection is on top of natural protection, it needs to essentially replace the social distancing measures we all don't want to be doing for it to do its job.

I'll still be relatively cautious until I've had my jab but if the numbers tumble before then with the older and most at risk already vaccinated then it will be all but over before I even get my turn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

hope so, there's some serious winning over of sceptics to be done. At least Karol Sikora and a few of the other sceptics are on the vaccine train, should win a few around. You'll get plenty of boneheaded comments like 70%? **** to that, the human immune system is 99.5% effective at fighting covid anyway.

They fail to realise that a vaccine protection is on top of natural protection, it needs to essentially replace the social distancing measures we all don't want to be doing for it to do its job.

I'll still be relatively cautious until I've had my jab but if the numbers tumble before then with the older and most at risk already vaccinated then it will be all but over before I even get my turn.

This report suggests it could be happening very soon (Next week?).Just updated in the Mirror.

I hope we keep a strong message going ahead or folk may relax too early, thinking it's all over. Still an important part of the journey to come I think.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-live-updates-lockdown-uk-23052569?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

This report suggests it could be happening very soon (Next week?).Just updated in the Mirror.

I hope we keep a strong message going ahead or folk may relax too early, thinking it's all over. Still an important part of the journey to come I think.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-live-updates-lockdown-uk-23052569?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Indeed I have no proper evidence for that other than brief snippets, that seem to say he is speaking to us all tonight, and his Christmas talk will now be tomorrow.

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

No queue jumping please, old un's first.👍

Pollard is part of this tonight

Prime Minister Boris Johnson will hold a Downing Street news conference at about 19:00 GMT to outline his Covid Winter Plan and to respond to today's announcement about the effectiveness of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.

Boris should have listened to us lol

'This is not a pandemic without end' - PM

Vaccines are edging closer to "liberating us from the virus", says Boris Johnson. 

"This is not a pandemic without end," he says, praising the University of Oxford vaccine for their great "British scientific achievement". 

There are more than enough vaccine doses for everyone in the UK, crown dependencies and overseas territories, he says. 

And the NHS is preparing a nationwide programme of vaccination "the like of which we have never witnessed" before.

20 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Boris should have listened to us lol

'This is not a pandemic without end' - PM

Vaccines are edging closer to "liberating us from the virus", says Boris Johnson. 

"This is not a pandemic without end," he says, praising the University of Oxford vaccine for their great "British scientific achievement". 

There are more than enough vaccine doses for everyone in the UK, crown dependencies and overseas territories, he says. 

And the NHS is preparing a nationwide programme of vaccination "the like of which we have never witnessed" before.

They have cocked up everything so far so .............

20 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

They have cocked up everything so far so .............

I suspect the vaccine bit will be fine, assuming our usual distributors can get on with it.

Its the bits in between, Christmas ect

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

I suspect the vaccine bit will be fine, assuming our usual distributors can get on with it.

Its the bits in between, Christmas ect

I'm not expecting any glitches in this part of the response Wbb. I beleive we will mobilise well.... with all kinds of localised delivery mechanisms (GP surgeries, pharmacies, even other public buildings). I even think we may excel because it won't quite need the level of centralised control ...might be wrong of course! Just think we pull together (to use an interesting old-fashioned term).

I just entered Paris Match online, partly to brush up on my French as I am keen to get there as soon as possible, but mostly to find out if our current euphoria about the Oxford vaccine was driven by patriotism.

B-gger me! The first article about the UK was concerned with Kate and William's grief at the death of their dog Lupo. I had thought that nonsense confined to Mail online.

There was a positive article later and, to me, this vaccine is the best yet for a variety of reasons, including price, storage and the fact that it has been exposed to more vigorous testing. The need not to be 'first' (Trumpism)  instils confidence.

45 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I just entered Paris Match online, partly to brush up on my French as I am keen to get there as soon as possible, but mostly to find out if our current euphoria about the Oxford vaccine was driven by patriotism.

B-gger me! The first article about the UK was concerned with Kate and William's grief at the death of their dog Lupo. I had thought that nonsense confined to Mail online.

There was a positive article later and, to me, this vaccine is the best yet for a variety of reasons, including price, storage and the fact that it has been exposed to more vigorous testing. The need not to be 'first' (Trumpism)  instils confidence.

Paris Match love the royals Broadstairs. They have had a whole section on the royal family for years. As for Kate, she can do no wrong. They've not got over losing having a queen or king in truth, hence the fascination ....and it sells magazines.