Well b back

Come on Sarah

Not forgetting the treatments this has just come up on Jenners website. I assume Interforen B is an advancement on the one we already know about.

6 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Trying to keep up with all the vaccine gossip, any idea how they will decide which one you get ? Will it be on age or any personal health issues ? Will you even have a choice. 
Really missing my CR fix now hate watching the empty stadium, especially when my seat appears in the background.

Lol know the feeling.

It seems that they will look at the efficacy data for each age group ie one may not work as well in over 75s another maybe best suited to that group and not others so the more the merrier.

However as it stands I can’t see us bringing the Sputnik one in, Moderna looks like it will focus on the US and Pfizer have limited doses, so on your analogy probably a lot won’t change until next season. However of course if the Oxford results are as good, then the U.K. has not just plenty on order, but AstraZeneca are producing huge quantities on the off chance it might just work lol.

What a day it will be when we can return to our seats.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

amazing what can be achieved when the world actually takes public health seriously...

I now think you are Matt Hancock, you can reveal your identity now lol.

He just said because of the lessons learnt, testing centres will remain open diagnosing cancers and other illnesses in hours and days rather than weeks and months.

Maybe one for TJ a person from London college just said these vaccines are not just the safest to be ever manufactured but the new technology allows the same vaccine to be altered to deal with many things, irradicating diseases we have had for years and I think he said including some cancers. 

JVT on AstraZeneca nobody has looked at the data, however it targets the spike and it uses the spike protein and the vaccines using spike protein are looking good.

4 hours ago, Well b back said:

I now think you are Matt Hancock, you can reveal your identity now lol.

He just said because of the lessons learnt, testing centres will remain open diagnosing cancers and other illnesses in hours and days rather than weeks and months.

Maybe one for TJ a person from London college just said these vaccines are not just the safest to be ever manufactured but the new technology allows the same vaccine to be altered to deal with many things, irradicating diseases we have had for years and I think he said including some cancers. 

that would be very promising if that's the case.

I think general public health understanding has now taken a huge leap and this will reflect for future interest in the sector.

You look at all the controversies around stem cell research and how that was supposedly "playing god". There has definitely been wasted opportunities for advancing science in this area due to debates over the ethics of things, much of the technology is there already, it just needs to be used properly and appropriately

• Like 1

On 15/11/2020 at 16:47, Daz Sparks said:

if the above article is indeed true, then it will be so much easier to distribute into the poorer nations. I am hoping the richest nations decide to give the vaccines to the less well off as soon as humanly possible.

Hi Daz

This looks highly promising that not just richer countries but individuals are funding this to happen. 
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-vaccines-covax/vaccine-alliance-raises-2-billion-to-buy-covid-shots-for-poor-nations-idUKKBN27T138

Found it

but Britain has the most riding on the inoculation being developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca, of which it has reserved 100m doses. A source at the Department of Health and Social Care said the results from the Oxford vaccine trials were “imminent” and it could be one of the first to be rolled out.

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

👍

Here is the link to this morning's very interesting radio programme.

Thanks Herman

I listened to that, was superb. 

As TJ has been telling us Oxford will be the game changer in the U.K. 

The truth, however, is that the news we are waiting for isn’t about the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccine: they simply augur well for the main star, the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine. This is the horse the government has been backing since the beginning of the crisis: the UK has a diverse portfolio of seven vaccines, but it ordered 100 million doses of the Oxford vaccine, compared with 40 million of the Pfizer vaccine, and five million of the Moderna candidate, which it only confirmed yesterday when the trial results were announced. The Oxford vaccine’s trial results are expected imminently. Unlike the Moderna vaccine, the Oxford jab is expected to be ready for distribution this winter, and unlike the Pfizer vaccine, it could be stored at between 2 and 8 degrees Celsius, rather than the logistically problematic minus 70.   

It’s all eyes on Oxford now. Once its results are released, then discussions about the rollout of the vaccine can truly begin.

• Thanks 2

Thanks WBB I’ve said several times I think Oxford and Pfizer are actually neck & neck but Pfizer have consistently taken the most optimistic timeline whereas Oxford have always been more cautious, and has the big benefit of not needing the -70 storage.

I'm definitely expecting an announcement by Oxford of success in the trials and approval submission or even emergency approval being given and roll out to high risk and front line starting soon after, it could be early December if things go well but otherwise pre-Christmas.

light at the end of the tunnel but still plenty of track to get through!!

Breaking News - Apparently one of the Chinese vaccines are reporting on efficacy tonight. Won’t be coming to the UK but will be another indicator if the efficacy is again similar.

8 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Breaking News - Apparently one of the Chinese vaccines are reporting on efficacy tonight. Won’t be coming to the UK but will be another indicator if the efficacy is again similar.

96%. I guarantee it

3 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Thanks WBB I’ve said several times I think Oxford and Pfizer are actually neck & neck but Pfizer have consistently taken the most optimistic timeline whereas Oxford have always been more cautious, and has the big benefit of not needing the -70 storage.

I'm definitely expecting an announcement by Oxford of success in the trials and approval submission or even emergency approval being given and roll out to high risk and front line starting soon after, it could be early December if things go well but otherwise pre-Christmas.

light at the end of the tunnel but still plenty of track to get through!!

Very much agree ICF. The -70 storage could be resourced if there was no alternative but really a successful Oxford vaccine with more practical temperature controls would be so much more practical. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Very much agree ICF. The -70 storage could be resourced if there was no alternative but really a successful Oxford vaccine with more practical temperature controls would be so much more practical. 

Indeed.

A bit of hope that vaccines may well not need to be constantly boosted, although put in context we will not really know for years.

Immunity to the coronavirus may last years

Blood samples from recovered Covid-19 patients suggest a powerful immune response that could last years, and maybe even decades, researchers reported.
In the most comprehensive and long-ranging study of immune memory to the coronavirus to date, the study found that most people who have recovered still have enough immune cells to fend off the virus and prevent illness eight months after infection. These cells may persist in the body for a very, very long time to come.
Though not yet peer-reviewed nor published in a scientific journal, the research may come as a relief to those concerned that vaccines might have to be administered repeatedly to keep the pandemic under control.
Quote: “That amount of memory would likely prevent the vast majority of people from getting hospitalized disease, severe disease, for many years,” said Shane Crotty, a virologist who helped lead the new study.

Many sources now saying Oxford results are imminent. This is the best I can find, it seems the uk guy on here has been speaking to respected sources. One little bit in there to listen out for is there confirmation that Sputnik is indeed the Oxford vaccine ?

• Thanks 2

Maybe we might hear by Friday? Feels like a great day to announce this news. It would mean all weekend papers can trail the story for maximum coverage.

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Maybe we might hear by Friday? Feels like a great day to announce this news. It would mean all weekend papers can trail the story for maximum coverage.

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Let’s pray it’s positive news.
Did you listen to the CNA report ? Maybe we can order a few million Sputnik doses if not, he seemed in the know, why mention how Sputnik is very similar, he didn’t say similar technology I don’t think.

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Let’s pray it’s positive news.
Did you listen to the CNA report ? Maybe we can order a few million Sputnik doses if not, he seemed in the know, why mention how Sputnik is very similar, he didn’t say similar technology I don’t think.

Yes, it seems similar to Pfizer. I wonder if this might be a Xmas present for many people if (and a big IF) it might be ready for distribution towards the end of December as the reporter hinted?