Well b back

Come on Sarah

Might this be the announcement on Oxford ? Doubt it but who knows

Downing Street to hold press conference this afternoon

UK government Health Secretary Matt Hancock is to host a virtual press conference from Downing Street later today, it's just been confirmed. 

He is going to be joined by NHS England national medical director Steve Powis and chief medical adviser Chris Whitty.

3 hours ago, Well b back said:

Might this be the announcement on Oxford ? Doubt it but who knows

Downing Street to hold press conference this afternoon

UK government Health Secretary Matt Hancock is to host a virtual press conference from Downing Street later today, it's just been confirmed. 

He is going to be joined by NHS England national medical director Steve Powis and chief medical adviser Chris Whitty.

What time is this ?

FDA now approve Pfizer. Come on Oxford, Pfizer doses will get harder to get by the day now.

An F.D.A. panel gives Pfizer’s vaccine the green light

Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine on Thursday passed a critical milestone on the path to approval in the United States, as a panel of experts formally recommended that the Food and Drug Administration authorize it. With rare exceptions, the F.D.A. follows the advice of its advisory panels.
The agency is likely to grant an emergency-use authorization within days, prioritizing health care workers and nursing home residents to begin receiving the first shots early next week.
This formal blessing may help the nation to slow the spread of the virus just as infections and deaths are surging, reaching a record of more than 3,000 daily deaths on Wednesday. More Americans died of Covid-19 Wednesday than were killed on Sept. 11 or in the Pearl Harbor attack.
Next steps: Within 24 hours of the vaccine’s being cleared by the F.D.A., an initial shipment of 6.4 million doses will leave warehouses to vaccinate more than three million people across the country.

16 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

What time is this ?

Sorry CK only just saw your note. It was about London in the end and how they need to improve things or face tier 3

Well there’s a thing !. Have I read it right as well, do they think this mixture may also protect against the common cold ?

As we mentioned earlier, UK and Russian scientists are teaming up to trial a combination of the Oxford-AstraZeneca and Sputnik V vaccines to see if protection against Covid-19 can be improved.

Mixing two similar vaccines could lead to a better immune response in people.

The trials, to be held in Russia, will involve over-18s, although it's not clear how many people will participate.

AstraZeneca said it was exploring combinations of different adenovirus - a virus that usually causes the common cold - vaccines to find out whether mixing them leads to greater protection.

The British-made Oxford vaccine, developed in partnership with AstraZeneca, and the Russian Sputnik vaccine, developed by the Gamaleya Research Institute in Moscow, are similar because they both contain genetic material from the Sars-CoV-2 spike protein.

Early results from late-stage trials of the Sputnik vaccine have shown promising results.

A little bit more on it ( probably the wrong way round lol ).

AstraZeneca has announced that will begin recruiting people aged 18 and over for trials combining the AstraZeneca and Oxford University vaccine with Russia's Sputnik V, produced by the Gamaleya Institute research facility in Moscow.

The aim is to see if this helps to boost people's immune response and improve protection from the virus.

The company told the BBC that the trials would be held in Russia, but it's not clear when they would start or how many people would be involved.

In a press release, AstraZeneca said: "Scientific collaboration with Gamaleya Research Institute is important to explore the potential of vaccine combinations unlocking synergies in protection and accessibility through a portfolio approach."

O dear some bad news regards Sanofi. 

The British pharmaceutical firm GlaxoSmithKline and its French partner Sanofi have said their vaccine against the coronavirus will not be ready until the end of next year. 

Interim test results showed only a low immune response in older adults, the companies said.

They will now begin a second-phase study in February, in the hope of rolling out a more effective vaccine in 2021. 

The "protein adjuvant vaccine" is based on the technology used by Sanofi to produce a flu vaccine, as well as GSK's established pandemic technology.

Research showed an immune response comparable to patients who recovered from Covid-19 in adults aged 18 to 49 but an "insufficient response" in older adults.

The companies said this was "likely" to be due to older people having an insufficient concentration of the antigen - the protein that stimulates the body's immune response against the virus. 

The UK has secured access to 60 million doses of the GSK/Sanofi vaccine.

29 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Well there’s a thing !. Have I read it right as well, do they think this mixture may also protect against the common cold ?

As we mentioned earlier, UK and Russian scientists are teaming up to trial a combination of the Oxford-AstraZeneca and Sputnik V vaccines to see if protection against Covid-19 can be improved.

Mixing two similar vaccines could lead to a better immune response in people.

The trials, to be held in Russia, will involve over-18s, although it's not clear how many people will participate.

AstraZeneca said it was exploring combinations of different adenovirus - a virus that usually causes the common cold - vaccines to find out whether mixing them leads to greater protection.

The British-made Oxford vaccine, developed in partnership with AstraZeneca, and the Russian Sputnik vaccine, developed by the Gamaleya Research Institute in Moscow, are similar because they both contain genetic material from the Sars-CoV-2 spike protein.

Early results from late-stage trials of the Sputnik vaccine have shown promising results.

Interesting...also that we have some collaboration with Russia too.

Can only be a positive development.

• Like 1

The fight for the vaccine

Health bosses in Nottinghamshire have said some people have been abusive to NHS staff after being told they cannot have the Covid-19 vaccination yet.

Dr Andy Haynes, head of the city and county's Integrated Care System, said people needed to understand the vaccine was being rolled out in a set order based on prioritisation of risk.

He said: "It's important people don't swamp our phone lines by seeking to get the vaccine. We've had one or two people this week who have been rather frustrated and abusive to staff when they've not been able to obtain a vaccine.

"When it's your turn to be vaccinated you'll be notified by letter and that letter will contain all the information you need."

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

I fidnt read it like that.  As far as I know the adenovirus is just the vector that gets engineered to contain the spoke protein.  I guess the jab gives some form of immunity to the adenovirus but i dont think it normally causes human disease so immunity is pointless.  And quite possibly bad as this might be the reason that the lower dose is better, the intial response not being enough to hinder the second one (the adenovirus gets ripped apart by out immune system before it can do its job the second time around?)I suspect the thinking of the collaboration might be that if the two jabs use different adenovirus vectors there will be no or less interference 

Coronaviruses do cause colds though so who knows this jab might gives us limited relief from others that are similar

Edited by Barbe bleu

I appreciate some won’t be liking this but as predicted some months ago the first airlines are adding travel rules regards the virus and possible vaccination. I know you can add Quantas and Southern Pacific to this list.

In the coming weeks, major airlines, including United, JetBlue and Lufthansa, plan to introduce a health passport app called CommonPass, which aims to verify passengers’ coronavirus test results — and, perhaps soon, their vaccinations.

On 13/12/2020 at 11:09, Well b back said:

I missed her.

Was it promising ?

Nothing particularly new 

Panorama tonight about Oxford ( apparently it was designed over a weekend ) ? and the getting the 3 billion doses together.

Sounded like approval could be just days away, so I wonder if as we discussed on here it will be Pfizer for the older, Oxford for the younger.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Well b back said:

Panorama tonight about Oxford ( apparently it was designed over a weekend ) ? and the getting the 3 billion doses together.

Sounded like approval could be just days away, so I wonder if as we discussed on here it will be Pfizer for the older, Oxford for the younger.

Fantastic programme , do watch it on catch up, Sarah is on

For those without catchup here is a summary.

The experts seem to think we are very close now. Because of the work already done the final touches were done over a weekend. These people like Sarah Gilbert, were completely camera shy and not interested in the publicity.

The ladies children when coming home late again ‘ don’t worry mummy you are doing it for everyone not just us ‘.

These people need to held up around the world. To get AstraZeneca to distribute for free as well, what dedication to their lives work.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55308216

• Like 3

The noises seem to be getting louder regards anytime now

When will the vaccine be ready?

It is currently in the last stage of MHRA assessment, after the government asked it to analyse the final set of data on 27 November.

Prof Sarah Gilbert, lead researcher on the vaccine, has said the chances it will be given to people before the end of the year are "pretty high".

Looks like the self back patting and trumpet blowing has gone down the pan, very small number vaccinated, distribution problems with what’s left and surgeries saying they have no spare staff/doctors anyway.

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

Looks like the self back patting and trumpet blowing has gone down the pan, very small number vaccinated, distribution problems with what’s left and surgeries saying they have no spare staff/doctors anyway.

It was announced yesterday that 138,000 jabs had been done (didnt say what the cut off for the number was though so could be well out of date by now).

We really need the Oxford vaccine approved if we are going to stop spread this way.  Lots of talk that the armed forces will be deployed to help with this.

1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

There are vaccination sites ready to open on huge scales once the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is approved. NHS have taken on thousands to be ready. For Birmingham the NEC, Birmingham Airport, Edgbaston, Villa Park and Millenium Point are already to go ( and that is just Birmingham Central ). The government are correctly ensuring our Pfizer only goes to the most needy, unfortunately with Pfizer America are using their power to take every bodies allocations.
If this recruitment is not being prepared in Norfolk then I would have serious words with your Council.

There are lots of reports of AstraZeneca about to be approved, but I would rather just hold on as I suspect it will be approved initially for under 55’s and then others by February.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-online-calculator-estimates-how-23183277?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

I've just put my details in and unfortunately it's between 23/4/21 and 11/5/21 for me ☹️

About 20m plus ahead in the queue (am in my sixties).

Obviously this calculator is based on what we know now in estimating expected roll out dates. Yet, it's worth looking at for some perspective!

• Like 1