Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Daily Mail......latest thoughts

4 hours ago, Making Plans said:

It wasn't the Mail's view it was the Mail recycling an original article in yesterday's Daily Telegraph

Yes, that's correct. Thank you for correcting

Brighton’s CEO came up with the idea of 2-up 4-down next season, should we freeze this season and invite Leeds/WBA* up -  that probably sounds better than 5 relegated.

*I did wonder if it may be better to have some form of play off but if the season is voided you can’t see how that’s going to work

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Brighton’s CEO came up with the idea of 2-up 4-down next season, should we freeze this season and invite Leeds/WBA* up -  that probably sounds better than 5 relegated.

ir would obviously be better to have done form of play off but if the season is voided you can’t see how that’s going to work

so which league will have to bear the brunt of a near 10% drop in income ?

Finances are probably the easiest bit to sort - the amount of cash in the game is ridiculous and if something couldn’t be sorted between PL and EFL then something is horribly wrong 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Finances are probably the easiest bit to sort - the amount of cash in the game is ridiculous and if something couldn’t be sorted between PL and EFL then something is horribly wrong 

something is wrong, horribly

with the finances

to start to gerrymander results and places would be a costly and time consuming business

Edited by Bill

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Ah, yes, In your absence I forgot you are never wrong 

oh dear, is that the best you can scrape up ?

no rebuttal but a petulant bleat

quelle suprise

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

*I did wonder if it may be better to have some form of play off but if the season is voided you can’t see how that’s going to work

Causes as many legal problems as it solves.

Nul and void it and do some compo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Causes as many legal problems as it solves.

Nul and void it and do some compo.

I would be livid if I was say Fulham or Forest and didn't get chance at th auto promotion.

No - it won't happen. Null and void the lot.

20 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I would be livid if I was say Fulham or Forest and didn't get chance at th auto promotion.

No - it won't happen. Null and void the lot.

Null and void the lot would be no better for Fulham or Forest than 2 up,  none down surely?

And the competition next year will, in theory, be easier for them.

Edited by Barbe bleu

I can’t see anyone having the right to go up in a null n void season, as stated Leeds would do their normal collapse and Fulham will argue that have the same chance of promotion in a full season.

Just wait till April, if it looks as it won’t be completed then void the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill said:

oh dear, is that the best you can scrape up ?

no rebuttal but a petulant bleat

quelle suprise

Oh no, I could easily argue for England,  but really can’t be bothered here 

36 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Oh no, I could easily argue for England,  but really can’t be bothered here 

Why not, what else have you got to do for the next 4 months😀

28 minutes ago, ricardo said:

pick up his toys he threw out perhaps 😩

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

pick up his toys he threw out perhaps 😩

You could always organise a toilet roll hunt I suppose.

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

Null and void the lot would be no better for Fulham or Forest than 2 up,  none down surely?

And the competition next year will, in theory, be easier for them.

but there would not be two clubs gaining an 'unfair' advantage

null and void means everyone gets treated equally

by easier I assume you mean 2 less clubs and no relegated clubs

except that would mean less games (4) and therefore less income

it would also mean that the PL would need 14 clubs to vote for having 4/5 of them relegated next season

highly doubtfuul most in the bottom half would vote for that

41 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Oy, I’m not over 70😮!  

I still have to go to work...and it’ll actually be nice to get out in the bike if nothing else🚴🏻‍♂️🙂.

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Oy, I’m not over 70😮!  

I still have to go to work...it’ll be nice to get out in the bike if nothing else🚴🏻‍♂️🙂.

You can borrow mine, don't look like I'll be getting out much between now and July😨

That over-70s isolation thing does sound a bit odd to me - I hope it is the cue for local communities to rally round to help one another, but the “I’m all right Jack” attitude we’ve seen with panic buying doesn’t fill me with tonnes of hope.  I do hope all in here stay safe and well.

It has to be null and void. Otherwise so much legal wrangling that would take months to resolve. There is a lot of money involved.

1 minute ago, vos said:

It has to be null and void. Otherwise so much legal wrangling that would take months to resolve. There is a lot of money involved.

it would likely to be long enough into the season so as to cause huge problems were the decision to go against two teams being promoted - what would follow

and as stated the PL needs 14 clubs to vote for this......I think it would be back to the old days of clubs not being voted out of the league ho finished bottom in Division 4

it then requires an invite to those clubs and an agreement with the Football league

who then is responsible fo the drop in income in the Championship and how is that decided ?

The powers that be in UEFA are meeting this week but I expect it will be more fudge and any decision pushed back another few weeks. The big boys will get the result they want but I hope there are some crumbs for those in the lower leagues.

50 minutes ago, ricardo said:

You can borrow mine, don't look like I'll be getting out much between now and July😨

Nonsense

a bit of 'Just for Men', a face mask and no one will be the wiser

just be careful what you buy

stocking up on Werther's Originals and milk stout might be a give away 😉

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Nonsense

a bit of 'Just for Men', a face mask and no one will be the wiser

just be careful what you buy

stocking up on Werther's Originals and milk stout might be a give away 😉

Good thinking but I'm not going to walk around in those strides with the crotch hanging round your knees for anyone.😀

24 minutes ago, vos said:

For what it is worth, being no expert at all in sports/contract law, my amateur view is this.

It seems the PL as a body - not sure if that is just the executives or the clubs as well - is still determined somehow to play the season to an end. Like other posters I think the short- and medium-term chronological and logistical difficulties of that are enormous, especially if the other four major European leagues decide to void and start afresh in the autumn.

It would also be based on the perilous assumption that the virus had been eradicated from football by, say, the beginning of August, and could not possibly reappear while the final matches were being played. The one advantage over the other solutions is that it would, I think, avoid all legal challenges.

Pure voiding and starting in August or September, with the four divisions comprised of the teams from this season, seems the neatest and most hassle-free plan. But I would be surprised if it did not create a flood of legal challenges from those clubs potentially missing out on promotion.

Calling a halt with clubs as they are and relegating those in the bottom three and promoting the top three from the Championship, and so on down the pyramid, would undoubtedly face legal challenges from those relegated and those in and around the play-off zones.

The variant to that plan, of having no relegation but allowing promotion for those clubs in the automatic slots, would no doubt also be challenged. But the challenges would be fewer and less forceful than those prompted by the basic 'calling a halt' plan.

Finally, I do not see how any English plan can work unless it is in synch with the other major leagues. They all either have to carry on and try to finish,, or all scrap this season and start in the autumn as if this has all been a dream. I gather it worked for the Dallas scriptwriters and since football is pretty much a soap opera...

The idea of playing out the season has already been overtaken by events. Those who have not kept up with the facts will obviously need some time to come to terms with it. The season is over.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

but there would not be two clubs gaining an 'unfair' advantage

null and void means everyone gets treated equally

by easier I assume you mean 2 less clubs and no relegated clubs

except that would mean less games (4) and therefore less income

it would also mean that the PL would need 14 clubs to vote for having 4/5 of them relegated next season

highly doubtfuul most in the bottom half would vote for that

I would assume that the lower divisions have promotion and no relegation too. So 2 promoted from championship being replaced by 2 from league one but none going down.  Repeated throughout 

Same number in championship. Fulham and forest miss out but no worse off than if the league were void and two top teams are not competing next year. Why would they challenge an enlarged premier league solution?