Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

Southern Thüringen is fairly impoverished for the most part and as a general rule, if it's impoverished and in the former East Germany, the AfD are always well in the running. Oddly, they tend to do really well in Saxony even though Dresden and Leipzig are relatively well-to-do now after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

That said, I would not be too surprised if Sahra Wagenknecht's new party made quick gains on the left. She was definitely the most media-savvy and seemed to be the most popular in the Die Linke set.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Southern Thüringen is fairly impoverished for the most part and as a general rule, if it's impoverished and in the former East Germany, the AfD are always well in the running. Oddly, they tend to do really well in Saxony even though Dresden and Leipzig are relatively well-to-do now after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

That said, I would not be too surprised if Sahra Wagenknecht's new party made quick gains on the left. She was definitely the most media-savvy and seemed to be the most popular in the Die Linke set.

Curious TGS. Are the most fruitful areas for AfD, areas with often the least number of immigrants? There was such a correlation in the UK vs Brexit. 

Edited by Yellow Fever

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

Curious TGS. Are the most fruitful areas for AfD, areas with often the least number of immigrants? There was such a correlation in the UK vs Brexit. 

A fair correlation, yes. Eastern Germany never took anywhere near the same proportion of refugees/asylum seekers as the former West, but proportionally there were always far more attacks on them. I have mentioned the infamous Gubener Hetzjagd before of Farid Guendoul (which happened only about 18 months before I moved there for a year) before, there was a shocking case in Rostock-Lichtenhagen in 1992 and an almost as bad case in Hoyerswerda the year before that.

That said, in Western Germany Solingen also saw a bad case where some neo-Na*zis set fire to a house belonging to a Turkish family.

I would venture Dresden as something of a counter-argument, and possibly even Jena for that matter. Those are two relatively international cities, both with very renowned universities too, where the AfD crop up pretty well in local elections. Both cities have had their issues with the far-right in the past, Dresden with Pegida in particular.

• Thanks 1

Is this the week that brexit finally unveils its full glory?? 

39 minutes ago, Herman said:

Do you think they'll have another party.

128 bottles of EU wine, 10 bottles of UK wine.

https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnson-government-bill-brexit-day-bash/

LONDON — Boris Johnson’s U.K. administration spent £7,897 on alcohol for a party to mark Britain’s exit from the European Union.

The Mirror reports that guests at No. 10 Downing St. for the Brexit day party guzzled 117 bottles of the Gusbourne Blanc de Blancs 2014 sparkling wine, which is sold for around £65 per bottle. 

Guests also consumed 10 bottles of white wine from a vineyard in Kent, along with 11 bottles of a red wine from an EU nation — the Italian Valpolicella 2017. 

51 minutes ago, Herman said:

I think it's going to be another example of the imminent disaster being so hyped up that the reality will look inconsequetial. Naturally, the Guardian headlines will say otherwise.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

These lying bastards is why a large portion of the country hate brexit. A better link to show the ****housery of these scumbags.

Edited by Herman
  • Like 4

Northern Ireland.

I'm pleased that Heaton-Harris has finally sorted out a bit of the Brexit s h i t fest and got (I hope) the DUP onboard and the Stormont returned. Of course it's yet to be seen as to if what he has promised is consistent with Windsor Agreement and has EU support. 

Of course there are potential longer term issues - clearly we can't really diverge from the SM but as the Tories / Brexiteers are likely out of office for a generation if not ever and with the tide running strongly for economic reintegration I doubt that will ever be an issue.

As I say - At least one mess cleared off the deck before SKS arrives.

• Like 1

New border checks came into effect today; reports of widely-predicted border chaos are conspicuous in their absence.

9 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Because the EU is doing so well these days, isn't it?

Yes, it's perfect in every possible way.

17 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

More of our money wasted on the Brexit sh!t show.

Not sure how that’s Brexit related to be honest, it simply looks like poor government decisions. You can’t claim every piece of (often weekly) Tory incompetence is down to a referendum held nearly 8 years ago 

25 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Not sure how that’s Brexit related to be honest, it simply looks like poor government decisions. You can’t claim every piece of (often weekly) Tory incompetence is down to a referendum held nearly 8 years ago 

I think the argument is that we'd be better off not bothering with elected government and just run by EU rules.

4 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

It was a Brexit response to our leaving the Galileo project. So it was clearly brexit related. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I think the argument is that we'd be better off not bothering with elected government and just run by EU rules.

You are stupid.

On 31/01/2024 at 15:42, littleyellowbirdie said:

New border checks came into effect today; reports of widely-predicted border chaos are conspicuous in their absence.

I don't think that the border checks actually start until 30th April?

"This will mean significantly extra red tape. In particular, an expensive veterinary certificate will be legally required with consignments of fresh food and plant imports from the EU. These are a requirement from 00:01 GMT on Wednesday, but will not be subject to actual checks at the border for another three months."

New red tape at the moment, which should help the inflation rate,full on checks in April.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68135059

I guess you thought wrong. Easy mistake to make though without the stories of catastrophe at the borders matching up to the hype.

Er, I guess you should've read the article you posted!

7 hours ago, Herman said:

"This will mean significantly extra red tape. In particular, an expensive veterinary certificate will be legally required with consignments of fresh food and plant imports from the EU. These are a requirement from 00:01 GMT on Wednesday, but will not be subject to actual checks at the border for another three months."

New red tape at the moment, which should help the inflation rate,full on checks in April.

Herman is correct.

Paperwork needed now, checks later. I think there is a 3rd phase even later 

Personally, I don't think that there will be long delays. If queues build up, they'll probably ignore the checks and let everything through! 

• Like 1

I would consider Dresden as somewhat of a counter-argument, and perhaps Jena as well. These are two moderately international cities, each hosting highly esteemed universities, yet the AfD has managed to gain traction in local elections. Both locations have faced challenges with the far-right in the past, notably Dresden with Pegida.

3 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Er, I guess you should've read the article you posted!

Herman is correct.

Paperwork needed now, checks later. I think there is a 3rd phase even later 

Personally, I don't think that there will be long delays. If queues build up, they'll probably ignore the checks and let everything through! 

I did. The changes started being introduced last week, with no disruptions that have been worthy of reporting. Unless your 'question' which you clearly already knew the answer to was aimed at a 'clever' gotcha that it's a phased introduction based on pointing out that not all of the changes are in place yet? Maybe in future you can not waste time being a wise guy with pointless questions and just say what you already know?

I think you're right though that no significant disruption is going to materialise thanks to the phasing of introduction. It won't stop the stupid scare stories though.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Herman said:

It just a drag on trade. A 'non-tariff' barrier.

Some will just just say it isn't worth the bother and others will make sure they recover the cost from their hapless UK customer (inflationary). Just business 101 - something which the average Brexiteer flunked or wasn't bothered about anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I did. The changes started being introduced last week, with no disruptions that have been worthy of reporting. Unless your 'question' which you clearly already knew the answer to was aimed at a 'clever' gotcha that it's a phased introduction based on pointing out that not all of the changes are in place yet? Maybe in future you can not waste time being a wise guy with pointless questions and just say what you already know?

I think you're right though that no significant disruption is going to materialise thanks to the phasing of introduction. It won't stop the stupid scare stories though.

There I was led to believe trade is already noticeably down in the last few days, but in view of the fact that you think everybody is wrong, I guess I am wrong.

• Haha 1