Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

35 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Sorry Ricardo but it is actually exactly that - a political project  - at its heart to constrain Chinese influence in the region. 

The economics are very much secondary as should surely be obvious.

He was referring to CPTPP. The fact that the EEC morphed into a full on political bloc is where the UK stopped rolling with it; Maastricht was the turning point.

The EU used/uses economic tools as carrots for political union, and it's very good for that, but they've finished up overdoing it.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

7 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Looking at wikipedia there is mention of restrictions of sovereignty on member states of CPTPP 

I'd need to look at that further to see how much truth, if any, is in that

Obviously if there is any truth in it, it's going to annoy those that voted leave to regain sovereignty 

It's inevitable in any international agreement that it restricts options. The main element in this case is investment protections that mean governments can be pursued for compensation if they legislate in ways that negatively affect inward investment companies may have made.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

25 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

That's the way things are going apparently. Just chips, mind; no fish!

You will have to covince all the Sun readers that there is more than Cod. And you left Norfolk just as Norwich got so close to the sea you can fish from your front garden in Thorpe.

11 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Looking at wikipedia there is mention of restrictions of sovereignty on member states of CPTPP 

Obviously if there is any truth in it, it's going to annoy those that voted leave to regain sovereignty 

Lets not be silly here,  its not trying to become the United States of the CPTPP

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You will have to covince all the Sun readers that there is more than Cod. And you left Norfolk just as Norwich got so close to the sea you can fish from your front garden in Thorpe.

That's exactly what I was suggesting. Glad you agree it's a worthwhile exercise!

16 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Its totally irrelevant to most - up until the time when the government gets sued by some corporation for some 'non' compliance or restriction.

Anyway - today we've been selling to three of those members. Nowt to do with CPTTP. 

12 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

That's exactly what I was suggesting. Glad you agree it's a worthwhile exercise!

I did from the start. You must have missed my post when I said I like fish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Lets not be silly here,  its not trying to become the United States of the CPTPP

I  didn't say it was.

It would be interesting to see what the UK has actually signed up to, rather than what has been reported in the media, in exchange for  the 0.1% boost to the economy 

I guess for the majority of UK citizens it probably means nothing either way 

2 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

It would be interesting to see what the UK has actually signed up to, rather than what has been reported in the media...

Glad to help, 'though you failed Rejoiniacs should learn to research -- https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/comprehensive-and-progressive-agreement-for-trans-pacific-partnership-cptpp-benefits-for-the-uk/cptpp-top-10-benefits-for-the-uk

2 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Well done, you've found a web site less trustworthy than Guido. 

7 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

I've seen that already, thanks anyway 

It doesn't answer my question 

1 hour ago, benchwarmer said:

Where's the queue for coaches to Dover?

Who'd have thought that the French authorities applying the rules,we voted for, would cause such trouble?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, ricardo said:

Didn't people say "it used to be just the Common Market""?

• Like 1

It seems there might be a bit of appetite in the US for a UK FTA after all.

Chris Coons, the Democratic senator from Delaware and a close ally of US president Joe Biden, introduced legislation on Thursday that would give the president the authority to negotiate a free trade agreement with the UK.

https://www.ft.com/content/362f4d28-91dd-4aca-81bb-582287026f5c

29 minutes ago, Herman said:

If successful journalists like these talk like trolls, it's no wonder the rest of the population follows suit.

A more moderate appraisal would be that it's hurting the coach tourism industry and also depriving the EU of tourists. Nobody 'signed up' for it; it's a negative consequence of our departure from the EU where it's in  the UK and the EU's interests to resolve it post-Brexit.

On 01/04/2023 at 10:11, Herman said:

Who'd have thought that the French authorities applying the rules,we voted for, would cause such trouble?

And be their fault

• Like 1