Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Still the Funniest Football Video Ever!

Can hear it even without the sound on TL - Barry Davies "And Leeds will go mad, and they've every right to go mad". Don Revie is a broken man. (And a cheat who entertains his players by making them play carpet bowls!) 🤭

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

Higher class of pitch invader in those days - wearing a suit and tie! 😉

This was Leeds remember, he was probably on the way home from court!

This is weird you posted this.I was watching something on Youtube, nothing linked to football, and this was recommended?! So I watched it .And then i got stuck in a Leeds youtube loop. They all had a punch up of varying degrees of violence. No wonder they're called dirty Leeds.

🤣

That was the second video and it was a proper fight. Anybody calling Grant Holt fat needs to watch Lee.

Call me ignorant, but why would sugget have been offside? The ball wasn't passed to him (or anyone until the penalty box)...

The laws were different then Cornish. You could be given offside just for being in an offside position when the ball was played - even if you didn't interfere with play. 

Also, just seen the video "hunter says hello" where Norman leaves one in on Howard Kendell. Kendell is totally sparked and 2 minutes after the challenge Kendell is still unable to stand and has to be carried off with his head lolling about and the commentator saying that Everton are " still holding off on the substitution as once he comes on Kendell can't come back on". I'd be surprised if Kendell could get back on the bus after the match, let alone the pitch to keep playing football!

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

The laws were different then Cornish. You could be given offside just for being in an offside position when the ball was played - even if you didn't interfere with play. 

Thanks thirsty, that just seems insane, effectively that would mean that you had to wait for everyone to be behind the defence before you could start to attack...

26 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Thanks thirsty, that just seems insane, effectively that would mean that you had to wait for everyone to be behind the defence before you could start to attack...

Yep!

And, in light of the Krul footwork nonsense on here this week, goalies picking the ball up from a backpass meant some really boring tactics from some teams too!

It was unusual for keepers to throw the ball out to team-mates - it was always a long punt upfield from memory.

So much better to watch now.

Even if it sometimes goes wrong...😉🎣

Edited by Drazen Muzinic

4 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

And, in light of the Krul footwork nonsense on here this week, goalies picking the ball up from a backpass meant some really boring tactics from some teams too!

Jeez, ain't that the truth Drazen. "And Liverpool 1-0 up here, Hansen passes the ball back to Grobbelaar" 

Barry Davies best known for commentating on the 43rd World Stare-Out Championship finals, under his celebrity name, "John".

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Jeez, ain't that the truth Drazen. "And Liverpool 1-0 up here, Hansen passes the ball back to Grobbelaar" 

Wow! That was exactly the team I was thinking of! Hansen, Thompson & Neal in particular. Not Alan Kennedy though - maybe he was more adventurous!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K Lo said:

Barry Davies best known for commentating on the 43rd World Stare-Out Championship finals, under his celebrity name, "John".

I used to LOVE Big Train! Barry Davies and Phil Cornwell doing this - brilliant!

• Haha 1

Still Leeds were the Number 1 team for years with so many great players right through the team from No.1 to 11

2 hours ago, daly said:

Still Leeds were the Number 1 team for years with so many great players right through the team from No.1 to 11

Can still name every one of them without even thinking too much.....     

Sprake

Reaney Charlton Hunter Madeley

Lorimer  Bremner Giles Gray

Clarke Jones

........but never liked them as a team for one single second.  

10 hours ago, Herman said:

Unlucky booking @ 2 minutes?

Omg. The football is more horrible than the pitch. Tell me this was the teams’ reserves

59 minutes ago, Herman said:

🤣🤣

It shows how far football has progressed, as they were two of the best teams in England and Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972–73_Football_League

:classic_ohmy:

There must have been more to it than meets the eye in short highlights like these. With the heavy ball and even heavier feet, perhaps the game was more chess-like back than?

The trouble is that all the videos I have seen tend to be midwinter, where the pitches are awful, the ball looks as heavy as a medicine ball and the boots looks as agile as dutch clogs.Even a Man United game filled with legendary named players, looks turgid, slow and low quality. I am sure it must have been better than these highlights show.

No doubt . This was the age of G. Best and co. You’d think the fame of his skills wouldn’t have stood the test of time, if defences had habitually been as slack and stationary as those on display above

Edited by GenerationA47
fame! Not ‘game’

This was also the era when Big Larry Lloyd, the perpetrator of the professional foul above, managed a long career in top flight football, playing for Liverpool and winning European Cups with Forest. He even got picked for England. His 'style', like Chopper Harris and Norman Hunter was almost licensed thuggery. They would be perpetually banned now!