Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Forest

My old lucky woolly gloves finally went into retirement today. They had achieved legendary status over the course of several years but thanks to constant repair they were much like Trigger's broom, more darning wool than original material. Thankfully Mrs R had bought me a new pair of official NCFC  gloves with thinsulate lining, and I was warm as toast on the ride down to the ground.

Lewis Grabban, received the customary round of boo's when the teams were announced and there were one or two for Daryl Murphy, who was named among the subs. There was a hint of dampness in the air but It was a  nice Xmas🎄 treat to see us kicking the right way for once😉 . In the early stages  we were treated to some nice neat football from both teams but little goal threat until the ninth minute when Pukki was sent away with just the keeper to beat. He hit it sweetly enough but Pantilimon got his angles right and a touch was enough to divert it round the far post.

It had been fairly even until then but City began to get into gear and Forest had to defend in numbers. A corner was desperately cleared and then another resulted in the ball being played around inside the area and some lunging blocks were needed to keep City out. Just before the twenty minute mark Lewis, found room on the left and hit one which seemed to get deflected before Pantilimon reached up and pushed it over the bar.

Coming up to the half hour Forest were being hurried into quick passes by the home sides excellent closing down but it almost led to a red card for Stiepermann when he was a fraction late Robinson. Thankfully, after a word with the linesman, ref Brooks only produced the yellow.

The deadlock was almost broken just after the half hour when a long cross from the right found Lewis coming in at the far post, somehow the bouncing ball came back off a defender and onto Lewis before running away a couple of feet wide. At this stage I was beginning to wonder if it would be one of those games and when Forest won a free kick inside the "D" It was crossed fingers time.. The ball was hit low under the wall but Krul, was down smartly to block almost on the line and Grabban, could not get his leg out quick enough before the rebound went past him and Tetty lashed it away.

City had been largely dominant for most of the first forty five and with the break fast approaching it looked very much like we would have to settle for honours even. As two minutes added were signalled Tetty chested down a ball to Aarons in the right back position. He had time to clear it but chose the wrong option and tried to come inside only to lose out in a tackle and Cash, was quickly on hand to slam a low shot which beat Krul at the near post.

Totally against the run of play and a disappointing end to the half but I had the feeling that all was not done by a long chalk. I had a quick look at the scores and West Brom were in front but seeing poor old Town two down tended to lift my spirits a bit. (or perhaps it was the Glenmorangie miniture that Mrs, R had thoughtfully slipped into my pocket.🍾

It was fairly frantic from the restart with the ball being played at good pace by both sides with several iffy tackles flying in. Ref Brooks inconsistency began to rankle as he booked Pukki but not the Forest player in an incident where both should have seen yellow. The fact that the Forest player had already been booked made the ref'd decision look distinctly arbitrary.

Krul then had to make a good block from a Grabben shot but most of the action was now down at our end where Pukki was somehow agonisingly wide of the post when it seemed easier to score. As Forest cleared the pressure Robinson blatantly stuck out a hand to bring the ball under control in the penalty area. Twentyfive thousand voices cried "handball" but they might as well have been in another dimension as neither ref nor linesman seemed to see a thing. Hernadez came on for Cantwell just after the hour as the tackles were starting to come in thick and fast with Mr Brooks again making some very dubious decisions.  I had barely regained my seat from another seething session when suddenly we were two down. A free kick from the right edge of the area was hit hard and low  in a  swirling melly of players, Robinson was the first to react and smash the ball into the net.

Oh dear, this was all going very wrong and yet we had been much the better side and made much the better chances but there was an air of acceptance when my son said "looks like its just not our day".  A few minutes later when Buendia had to limp off with a leg injury I was feeling very inclined to agree with him. Farke decide to take action as Rhodes replaced the little Argentine and Srbeny came on for Lewis but it it only got worse as within a minute a pullback from Lolley found Cash unmarked to sweep the ball into the corner for three nil and supposedly game over.

Pukki should have reduced the deficit almost immediately but Somehow Pantilimon stuck out a hand just as the City Talisman was about to celebrate. Then Stiepermann cut in and his cross missed everyone with the goal gaping. Did we lose heart? well, maybe a little bit but the chances were still coming thick and fast so there was hope of a consolation at least and this duly came when Vrancic had a go from twenty yards and the first bit of luck all day came when the deflected ball left Pantilimom stranded, 1-3.

With the crowd roaring them on wave after wave of attacks continuously beat against the Forest back line. Godfrey must have thought he'd scored when in a crowded penalty area he juggled the ball and hooked it inches wide then minutes later he was on the end of a corner that squirmed through to him and only three yards out he smashed it over the bar. Rhodes and Pukki then went close as time ticked down to ninety minutes.

An enormous cheer went up when seven extra minutes were signaled and City flooded forward again. It was virtually two at the back and everyone else forward as Tetty fended off a Forest attack, moved the ball forward where it was swept out to Hernandez on the right.  The flying Cuban forced his way past  Janko, before firing a hard low cross as everyone seemed to freeze for a split second. Pantilimon was probably expecting a foot to deflect it and seemed rooted to the floor as the ball went past him into the far corner.

Jesus H Christ, I thought the roof would come off the stand as the Canary faithful rose as one and hope (however faint) was renewed. Forest tried to play for time down their left but when City came away it was all hands to the pump with almost the whole team in the Forest box. When the ball ran out for a goal kick the Forest number four smiled up at the crowd (the ****) and Pantilimon, was finally booked for what had been consistent time wasting.

In one final lung bursting rush Klose, hooked the ball out to Hernandez and when he cut in the was all kinds of mayhem as shots were blocked until suddenly as if by magic it was Hernandez again to bang the ball over a startled Pantilimon and spark the longest and loudest roar that I've heard at CR since Christ knows when. Oh dear it was all too much, an absolutely incredible match and nobody who had the luck to be present is ever likely to forget it.

An amazing draw that felt like a win. Vrancic imense in midfield, Tetty and Klose majestic at the back but every man jack a hero and my new new woolly gloves well and truly christened.😀

Edited by ricardo
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Ricardo. Have looked forward to your report. We all jumped up in our living room (up north), even Snowy, our Jack Russell, as that 98th minute equaliser went in.

Just unbelievable.

I didnt think we would be able to outdo the drama of the Millwall game, but who knows with this team.

Nice bit of Jonno chanting when Grabban had the ball😀

Good read, thanks.

Just now, lake district canary said:

Thanks Ricardo, looked incredible match from start to finish, but reaching new heights at  the end.  Amazing.

That's the loudest I've ever heard at our end LDC. It seemed to go on and on, incredible indeed.

Don't you just love football. I thought I'd seen it all over 65 seasons but that was something special.

Thanks Ricardo. Sounds like a truly amazing match. The number of goals we seem to be conceding of late is a concern. I'd like us to be much tighter at the back - we can't keep scoring last minute equalisers and winners....can we?!

2 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Thanks Ricardo. Sounds like a truly amazing match. The number of goals we seem to be conceding of late is a concern. I'd like us to be much tighter at the back - we can't keep scoring last minute equalisers and winners....can we?!

Not a big stats man Fuzzar but these are pretty amazing 

- 27 Norwich City shots, only bettered once in the last 5 years (7-1 v Reading) - Teemu Pukki had more shots without scoring (6) than any #ncfc player in a single game this season - Every one of Norwich's back four had at least two attempts at goal

• Like 2

Just now, Van wink said:

Not a big stats man Fuzzar but these are pretty amazing 

- 27 Norwich City shots, only bettered once in the last 5 years (7-1 v Reading) - Teemu Pukki had more shots without scoring (6) than any #ncfc player in a single game this season - Every one of Norwich's back four had at least two attempts at goal

On another day we would have had six.

If you wanted to explain to someone why football's such a great game - & why this Norwich team is so fabulous - you'd just show them this match.

A little mention for Srbeny, ricardo; I thought he looked really useful when he came on, very much a handful with a surprising amount of gawky skill (a bit like Marco?).

Lovely report for a brilliant, brilliant match! Thanks as always.

19 minutes ago, ricardo said:

That's the loudest I've ever heard at our end LDC. It seemed to go on and on, incredible indeed.

Don't you just love football. I thought I'd seen it all over 65 seasons but that was something special.

I was in the Upper Barclay today and the only game I can remember like it was the Derby match in the Lambert promotion year. What an extraordinary group of players we have now. Especially Max Aarons who looked just as comfortable on the left side of midfield as he did at right back. An incredible player for one so young. 

A Welsh friend of mine who was at Swansea game, text me on 78th minute:

"I think the canaries have finally fallen off their perch"

Think again, brother lol. 

Cheers Ricardo. 

Great report as ever Ricrdo - but even greater than normal!

You capture the excitement so brilliantly that I'm sitting here with a  smile on my face remembering it all again. Top stuff! 🤣🤣🤣

Fantastic report again Ricardo. I thought our supporters were a massive part of the game. A round of applause at half-time and still singing and shouting as we fell behind. I’ve been a season ticket holder since the 1970’s and I’ve never felt this connection between players and fans.

An awesome game with so much emotion, struggle and determination. 

OTBC

Just now, yellowandgreen said:

Fantastic report again Ricardo. I thought our supporters were a massive part of the game. A round of applause at half-time and still singing and shouting as we fell behind. I’ve been a season ticket holder since the 1970’s and I’ve never felt this connection between players and fans.

An awesome game with so much emotion, struggle and determination. 

OTBC

Have to agree with that. I don't think I've ever seen so much togetherness between players and fans since the 1959 cup run.

From my point of view this is a totally amazing season so far and all the more so because it was unexpected.