kick it off

NFL Thread

37 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I think its pretty unlikely you win the division tbh. I think we'll end up scraping it but think either the cowboys or giants are more likely than eagles. Hurts has flashed some promise but he is very raw. Its been more competitive over the last few weeks, and looked a bit less **** with us and Giants going on winning runs and beating some of the more favoured teams.

Hope Alex Smith is back this week as Haskins was awful for 2.5 quarters last night. Very good for 1.5 but the Seahawks were 20-3 up by that point. We really need to move on from Diane in the off-season.

Yeah I think it is tough but it isn't that tough- we win both our games, we then just need the Giants to lose one and for you guys to lose to Carolina.

Saying that, I don't want us to make the playoffs really. I'm certain we'd get waxed in the first game and ruin our draft stock. 

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Yeah I think it is tough but it isn't that tough- we win both our games, we then just need the Giants to lose one and for you guys to lose to Carolina.

Saying that, I don't want us to make the playoffs really. I'm certain we'd get waxed in the first game and ruin our draft stock. 

Stranger things have definitely happened, I think we beat Carolina though tbh.

I think that whoever wins the NFC East will be screwing their draft stock and getting waxed in the first round. I'd be surprised if any of the NFCE teams win a playoff game this season!

Wow, what a day in the NFC East! Giants lose so Washington just needed to beat the panthers to win the division.

We were AWFUL!!! Haskins genuinely ended the first half with a QB rating of 8.3. He had 2 Ints, 1 fumble and about 34 yards. He totally **** the bed, but thankfully that means that the experiment is over. Quite literally never seen a QB play so badly, it was disgusting. Hopefully cut tomorrow. He deserves it, **** QB and an entitled little ****.

Rivera inexplicably kept him in after HT. Eventually put Taylor Heinicke in and benched Haskins in the 4th Quarter. Heinicke balled out - Dude was basically Dan Marino. He threw 3 TDs but only 1 counted (a drop which was a blatant PI call that the refs didnt give us and a holding call which was soft meant two were disallowed). He almost matched Haskins (through 3 and a half Quarters) for completions in 7 minutes and almost matched him in yards too. I feel much better about Smith potentially not being healthy next week knowing that we'll start Heinicke rather than Haskins if Alex can't go. He's at least competent. Almost every incompletion was a drop of a well thrown ball, rather than a bad throw.

Refs totally ****ed us today - they wiped off a fumble recovered for a TD saying they had blown it dead for forward progress - the ball was already loose and 2 yards away from the RB when they blew their whistles in addition to the **** no PI call. We deserved to lose though, to win today would have been embarrassing. 

Cowboys eliminate Eagles. Hopefully you'll play the scrubs against us next week rather than the starters?

Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 7.03.54 PM.png

Edited by kick it off

18 hours ago, kick it off said:

Hopefully cut tomorrow. He deserves it, **** QB and an entitled little ****.

Good call Ron. Haskins deserved every bit of it.

What a fall from grace that is- you dont see many first round qbs cut within two seasons.

For our final game we're likely missing several key players on defence so I'm expecting (and to be honest hoping for) a loss.

For WFT I think playoffs are a double edged sword. I imagine you'll go one and done and picking 19th means getting a qb isnt easy.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

What a fall from grace that is- you dont see many first round qbs cut within two seasons.

For our final game we're likely missing several key players on defence so I'm expecting (and to be honest hoping for) a loss.

For WFT I think playoffs are a double edged sword. I imagine you'll go one and done and picking 19th means getting a qb isnt easy.

Yeah, nobody claimed him off waivers either. He was Snyder's draft pick. When will that guy learn ffs. Worst owner in the league.

I feel like QB maybe isn't all that important for us to be honest. Its clearly a big need but we don't need a Kyler Murray (although that would sure be nice). Alex has proven that a decent game manager can win with this strong defence. Maybe Heinicke is the next Kurt Warner anyway 😉.  I think even Stafford,  Fitzmagic or Mariota would elevate the team over what we've had this season. Even in our losses, most have been very tight. Going for two in the last seconds vs the giants instead of tying with an XP etc. A competent QB, not even a great one, just a competent one is fine, and we can grind some wins out of nothing. 

I'd like to take a top tier WR (FA looks good for this but I'd prefer to draft one too) to pair with McLaurin. Our Defence is already almost there. We need an ILB (maybe 2 if I'm honest), some depth in the backfield and then I think that's a scary unit. 

I genuinely think that we're capable of being a 10+ win team next season with sensible additions. We have tonnes of cap space too.

Edited by kick it off

You always need a qb. Smith was ok at best when he played. However I think you're right that a good free agent or trade could be the answer, at least short term. 

There is talk of Snyder finally embracing a GM role and getting Marty Hurney which would be intriguing. If you guys could somehow swing a trade for Stafford that would be huge.

For the Eagles I'm settling in for at least one more bad year. We're in cap hell due to Howies mismanagement and have an old roster with plenty of holes. Add to that uncertainty at qb and I think we're rebuilding for at least another year.

Smith's numbers are horrible, but they have been for his entire career. Somehow he just wins, and always has done. He doesn't turn the ball over much and if we can get somebody who can do that paired with a top tier WR - it will push the offense up a gear in the passing game then we'll be a very good all round team. Gibson is a stud at RB, and McKissic is also very good. Logan Thomas has somehow miraculously developed into a top 10 TE. We really are only a piece or two away from having a decent offense. 

I'm not sold on Hurney. I REALLY like Kyle Smith. That dude is in the building and has been killing it in the draft despite Snyder's meddling. I would much rather see him promoted to the GM title than pull in someone from outside. The WFT forum is pretty much united on that to be honest, but we don't captain the ship. I think it is very clear now though that Ron is the Captain, not Snyder anymore - Ron has been fully given the reins of the franchise by Dan, but with an owner like Snyder, you always worry about how long he can stick to that. I guess ultimately though, you need complete alignment between GM and coach so if Ron wants Hurney in the building then we just have to trust him because he's been great for us so far. We're so much better than I thought we would be, even if the wins column doesn't reflect that. I thought we were a 6 win team if Haskins emerged into a competent QB. We've had a QB carousel with injuries and drama, and somehow despite 4 different QBs getting on the field this season, we've won 6 games, derailed the Steelers and have been incredibly close to having 8 or 9 wins on the board.

RE: The Eagles - it certainly seems another rebuilding year is on the cards but if Hurts can be polished up a bit then you have the biggest piece of a rebuild already there. What are your thoughts on him? From the outside, and having not watched much more than highlights, he seems to be flashing some serious potential, but both INTs vs Dallas were awful - absolutely on him, both of them. As a WFT fan I'm worried about how good he could be. He has that Wentz-like quickness and elusiveness which used to frustrate the hell out of me too.

Outside of Hurts though, it does seem your best players are getting old. DeSean, Fletcher Cox etc are definitely past their best (although FC is still a helluva player - reminds me of London Fletcher - just an absolute Ironman). I do wonder what impact it will have on the Philly D when Cox hangs up the cleats because he is absolutely the heart and soul of the Defense and sets the culture for the rest of them. 

Edited by kick it off

27 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

So chaps. Superbowl match up?

Chiefs Saints for me

You're overlooking Aaron Rodgers and the Packers? That's a mistake in my eyes. Rodgers is having an unbelievable season - he's been incredible even by his standards this year. 5 Interceptions and nearly 50 touchdowns. He's killing it.

They're going to the Superbowl and they're going to win the whole thing. I'll be so pleased to see Rodgers win it all again too - he deserves it.

I like Rams vs Packers in the NFC game, with Packers moving on to the Superbowl, agree on the AFC side though, can't see past the Chiefs for the conference. Think the AFC game is Chiefs vs Colts, with Chiefs winning.

I actually think despite the embarassment of the win in Philly (possibly one of the worst NFL games I have ever seen), we have a shot at Brady and the Bucs. The whole game comes down to our DL vs Bucs OL. If Chase Young and Montez Sweat can get near Brady then Brady will get happy feet. He may be the GOAT but he's never been able to escape pressure particularly well and needs a clean pocket to kill us. If we can stop him getting time to throw, and get in his face, he will get happy feet and when he starts scrambling, all bets are off. Other key matchup is our QB - Smith is not healthy, at all, he was awful against Philly and that calf injury is killing him, and our entire offense. Couldn't escape pressure even a little bit, and couldn't get any throws over 10 yards or so as he couldn't step into it. If he is not a million miles ahead of Sunday in his recovery then I want Heinicke to start. 

For whatever reason our 2nd half Defense is better than our first half Defense. We have been shutting teams down. If it's close at half time then watch out for the upset. Table below of 2nd half points.

image.png.e51941525173a9bc6584ef42faf715d9.png

NFL playoff bracket

Edited by kick it off

It is nice that the last couple of years have seen the balance of power swing to the AFC- previously the playoffs on that side weren't exciting because the Pats were such a machine but this year there are some great matchups.

Colts v Bills is the pick of wildcard weekend for me, but any of those three matchups looks more interesting than any on the NFC side. 

I don't buy current player jerseys - I stick to Sean Taylor 21s. I was badly burned by getting an RG3 jersey so I vowed never again..... 8  years later and I just took delivery of my Chase Young jersey. This kid is going to be possibly the best player in franchise history. He's a QB nightmare.

Edited by kick it off

Well, season is over for the WFT but man I am proud of those guys tonight. 

They fought and gritted it out to the end.

Taylor Heinicke stood toe to toe with Tom Brady and looked every inch like he belonged. I think WFT may have just picked up their franchise QB through sheer dumb luck. McLaurin hobbled, Gibson hobbled, our other WRs are scrubs and he put the game on his back and very nearly took it right from under Brady's nose. Some of the plays he made were absolutely unreal.

If he can be the QB of the future then that is HUGE. Suddenly we're not giving up draft picks and assets to get a QB worth a damn, we are getting weapons to surround the QB with.

I think we're in business. Roll on next season.

It was a really good game KIO, now just watch Snyder trade Heinicke to the Patriots for a draft 2nd round draft pick....

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Surfer said:

It was a really good game KIO, now just watch Snyder trade Heinicke to the Patriots for a draft 2nd round draft pick....

Don't even tempt fate!!!

Seriously want Heinicke locked into a deal. Roll with him and Kyle Allen next season - maybe one of them is the man, maybe they're not but surround them with weapons and see what they've got. If they have it, great, let's go win the Lombardi. If they don't have it then it's perfect time to draft/sign the next starting QB the following year and that QB would be walking onto a roster that's stacked on both sides of the ball.

I like Heinicke, and I think the dude can be the WFT starter long term though.

The trajectory is definitely going the right way for WFT.

Bills Colts was the game of the night, Josh Allen is so much fun to watch right now.

Seahawks laid a total egg, so much for MVP Russ.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Bills Colts was the game of the night, Josh Allen is so much fun to watch right now.

Seahawks laid a total egg, so much for MVP Russ.

Bills Colts was really good, and Bucs vs WFT was good. Seahawks game was a bust - I got bored and watched something else.

Today's slate looks decent to be fair.

I'm taking Ravens, Steelers and Saints.

7 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Bills Colts was really good, and Bucs vs WFT was good. Seahawks game was a bust - I got bored and watched something else.

Today's slate looks decent to be fair.

I'm taking Ravens, Steelers and Saints.

The best round of playoff games is usually divisional round to be fair- wildcard weekend always has a couple of duff teams in it (from a neutral perspective) and this year thats Chicago and WFT (would have said the same if the Eagles won the division!).

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

The best round of playoff games is usually divisional round to be fair- wildcard weekend always has a couple of duff teams in it (from a neutral perspective) and this year thats Chicago and WFT (would have said the same if the Eagles won the division!).

Did you watch the WFT? Heinicke was anything but boring!!! We kept it to one score, against the heavily favoured Bucs, both teams made a bunch of good plays through the air. Heinicke was electrifying on Offense. Brady was surgical. Both Defenses brought the heat (although admittedly not much from WFt in the first half). Game was never out of reach. Finished on downs with 1 minute left. Not sure what more you want from the game to be fair. Either you didn't watch it and assumed we were as bad as last week, or there's some bias creeping in because the overwhelming opinion of neutrals on social media has been it was a good game and Heinicke was exciting to watch.

Objectively it was a good game of football. 

8 hours ago, kick it off said:

Did you watch the WFT? Heinicke was anything but boring!!! We kept it to one score, against the heavily favoured Bucs, both teams made a bunch of good plays through the air. Heinicke was electrifying on Offense. Brady was surgical. Both Defenses brought the heat (although admittedly not much from WFt in the first half). Game was never out of reach. Finished on downs with 1 minute left. Not sure what more you want from the game to be fair. Either you didn't watch it and assumed we were as bad as last week, or there's some bias creeping in because the overwhelming opinion of neutrals on social media has been it was a good game and Heinicke was exciting to watch.

Objectively it was a good game of football. 

Yeah sorry I meant the slate of games, not the actual game itself if that makes sense? Just that when I looked at the lineup of games I wasn't hugely excited to watch WFT v Bucs or Bears v Saints as they look quite one sided. Divisional round usually filters those sort of games out and brings in the 1 seeds to make it much more exciting on paper.

• Like 1

Whoops. Oh well can't get any worse than this or can it?

Edited by KiwiScot

6 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

So one sided these wildcard games

I don't think I said all wildcard games were? It looks like I was pretty spot on with Bears v Saints not being a competitive watch. 

3 hours ago, kick it off said:

Next weekend looks tasty, especially on the NFC side of the bracket. Brady vs Brees.

image.thumb.png.6552f56642b68804a67bdb798ceb207c.png

Yeah, looks really good.

Packers v Rams could be brilliant- best defence in the league vs best offence. Lamar Jackson v Josh Allen is also a tasty matchup. Just a shame it starts at 1:15AM.

Browns this years 49ers? 4 wins in 3 seasons and now a divison game.

Although the car crash that was the 49ers injury list didn't stop me watching the Red Zone, I couldn't raise much enthusiasm. And I'm not really bothered who wins SB this year. 

I'm glad that at least teams with winning season records are through and without wishing to upset anyone, wish Tom Brady best of luck.