Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

City players and World War One

“ footballandthefirstworldwar.org “ has seventeen of our players who served, all appear to have survived.. Twenty four ex players also served, with seven killed during the war and one who died in 1919 presumably from lnjuries received. Worth a look if you’re interested.

My father served in both World Wars and died at age 66 when I was 15. He never talked about those Wars, but I have his medals including Mentioned in Dispatches letter. It might be because of horrific things they saw or went through that they don't want to recall.

11 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I cannot understand these people who refuse to wear a poppy - it's not political it's purely in remembrance of those that died.  

Without meaning to create a horrendous debate here- it didn't used to be political, it has become much more so now.

How did it do that? I wear a poppy to remember those that lost their lives especially those I knew whilst in the forces. I can't think of anything political about it ! 

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

I cannot understand these people who refuse to wear a poppy - it's not political it's purely in remembrance of those that died.  

It's about choice, you should not use the word 'refuse' that implies that they were requested to wear one and they said no.

Nevermind it is Children

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

How did it do that? I wear a poppy to remember those that lost their lives especially those I knew whilst in the forces. I can't think of anything political about it ! 

This from someone who was posting on here last year rather than attending his local remembrance service.

" "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint.

When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." "

35 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Everyday people maybe, but footballers who are given it on their shirt do refuse.

“I recognise fully why people wear poppies, I totally respect everyone’s right to do so and I have total sympathy for anyone who has lost loved ones due to conflict.

“However, for me it is only a reminder of an attack that I felt personally as a young, frightened 12-year-old boy living in Vrelo, as my country was devastated by the bombing of Serbia in 1999.

“Whilst I have done so previously, on reflection I now don’t feel it is right for me to wear the poppy on my shirt.”

He respects your right wear one, you should respect his right to decide not to wear one.

However, for me it is only a reminder of an attack that I felt personally as a young, frightened 12-year-old boy living in Vrelo, as my country was devastated by the bombing of Serbia in 1999.

Does he not want to remember anyone that died that day ?

4 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

It’s also a reminder to some of the atrocities Britain has been involved in. Let’s rightfully remember our fallen, but not pretend we’re perfect heroes that have never done wrong.

17 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

However, for me it is only a reminder of an attack that I felt personally as a young, frightened 12-year-old boy living in Vrelo, as my country was devastated by the bombing of Serbia in 1999.

Can anyone seriously be this dense? 

Personally I think they should tell him he won't be playing if he doesn't wear it. The same with McLean. Just bloody stand still for two minutes and respect the dead from any war and any atrocity.

If people don't want to buy a poppy or its equivalent then fine, but don't diminish the reason why many will be wearing one especially on Sunday.

5 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Can anyone seriously be this dense? 

Hoola Han Solo  What is dense about asking that ? please explain why he does not want to remember the dead

That would be French citizens killed by allied bombing, German POWs starved to death after the end of the war, Irish citizens killed by the Black and Tans, Shot at Dawn UK soldiers, Japanese burnt to death by the Atom Bombs.........

or are non combatants killed by the 'right side' not worthy of remembering ?

And why does it need a visible token to remember ?

ps shame you weren't at your local war memorial on the morning of the 11th Nov 2017

26 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

OK I'll bite: because a refusal to wear a poppy may be similar to why many veterans don't want to discuss the wars they were involved in. Maybe he wants to leave memories of the past in the past ... you respect your history your way, let him respect his history his way. 

the worrying concern is now it is deemed that you have opted out of wearing a poppy

not that others have chosen to wear a poppy

though I doubt the irony of those bleating about this lack of respect for 'our boys' are the very folk who endlessly whine about 'political correctness' when others suggest they may wish to show respect to others irrespective of the latter's, creed, colour or sexuality

I would imagine it is also to do with seeing the poppy as a celebration of the British military, and Matic sees the British military (as part of NATO) as the people who were bombing his village and endangering his life. 

While the poppy is suppose to represent remembrance for those lost in war, it has recently become more of a symbol of support for the British military. That is of course something people who have been on other end of the battle lines will find difficult to celebrate. 

There is nothing that will strip the poppy of all meaning quicker than forcing people to wear it. In my opinion it was a regressive move for football clubs to start adding the poppy to kits and the FA’s ludicrous fight with FIFA backed them into a corner. The poppy should be personal and down to individual choice, the British Legion seem to believe so, and by pinning one to anyone of TV (including the Cookie Monster a few years ago) and slapping it on football kits, that personal choice has been removed. 

Or maybe that the personal choice is only available through the sacrifice of others.

And if football clubs decide that they will have the poppy on their kit then how about their employees respecting that as well.

Is it too much too ask some people just to conform now and again rather than spouting on about liberty and personal choice?

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Or maybe that the personal choice is only available through the sacrifice of others.

And if football clubs decide that they will have the poppy on their kit then how about their employees respecting that as well.

Is it too much too ask some people just to conform now and again rather than spouting on about liberty and personal choice?

oh dear

I don't think you have really thought that through have you ?

oh dear

I don't think you have really thought that through have you ?

Don't you ever get tired of telling people what they think or should think.

The accepted symbol of honouring, yes honouring the sacrifice that many gave in our name, so that complete idiots like yourself can exist and have the temerity to deliberately obfuscate so much, is the poppy. If you don't like it, and don't wear one, then just shut up and hide. The decent people in this world will be proud to wear one.

Personally, I am wearing mine to honour the young man who lost his life in Afghanistan and whose picture is on my dining room wall.

• Like 1

And if yo don't like my comments then shut up and hide.

Those on my village war memorial did not die for me, I was not born.

As to who they were then I have spent since 2004 researching and collating as much of their details as possible, and was actually asked to read out their names at the remembrance service.

Most did not give a sacrifice, they were conscripted and sacrificed.  And from family recollections passed down there was nothing noble or glorious about their death. - or the devastaion it wrought upon those who had to carry on as best they could

So if your concern is personal then that is your business. Don't try and force it upon others, not twist what the poppy was originally about for your own.

As to folk having to conform and  " spouting on about liberty and personal choice? "I think that was what caused much of WW2

The poppy to me is my grandfathers two brothers,  all my mates on HMS Sheffield, Robles, Jose and Scouse Tucker. plus many who shall remain nameless.  I shall wear my poppy in remembrance.

8 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

The poppy to me is my grandfathers two brothers,  all my mates on HMS Sheffield, Robles, Jose and Scouse Tucker. plus many who shall remain nameless.  I shall wear my poppy in remembrance.

And you’re well within your right to do so Swindon 👍🏻 just as others have the right to not wear one.

As to who they were then I have spent since 2004 researching and collating as much of their details as possible, and was actually asked to read out their names at the remembrance service.

Well you should know better then.

Once a year, people are asked, not ordered, to buy a poppy or its equivalent. And they are asked to wear it. It isn't difficult. And yet people find the most spurious reasons not to bother.

It is not your right, it is right, that you should wear one.

It is all too easy for people to come up with an excuse.

Conscription did not start for British men until 1916. So many had volunteered long before it was brought in. My father volunteered for WWII and my son is in the Coldstream Guards. I don't believe either said anything about their rights.

People who hide behind "their right" should consider how they came about that option.

And by the way, no-one can hide from you, you are like seagull ****, you're everywhere.

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Once a year, people are asked, not ordered, to buy a poppy or its equivalent. And they are asked to wear it. It isn't difficult. And yet people find the most spurious reasons not to bother.

Conscription did not start for British men until 1916. So many had volunteered long before it was brought in. My father volunteered for WWII and my son is in the Coldstream Guards. I don't believe either said anything about their rights.

People who hide behind "their right" should consider how they came about that option.

And by the way, no-one can hide from you, you are like seagull ****, you're everywhere.

And by having “their right”, they have the option to not wear a poppy.

36 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

More dangerous, ignorant bigotry

"It is not your right, it is right, that you should wear one."

Rather like the religious cranks who claim some man in the sky gave us all 'free will'' just as long as we exercise it tin accordance with his commands.

A few years back and well before that the wearing of a poppy was down to individual choice. Many who had not lost family or close friends and saw it as a bit odd to 'remember' those they never knew.

Now it has bcome something akin to red nose day. Somehow those not participating are deemed not to care for the plight of others - never mind that they might wonder why so many needed a charity to care for those the poppy wearer tell us gave us freedom. No asking why the great and good will be leading the events at the Cenotaph whilst so many ex-servicemen are sleeping on the streets.

No questioning why Wetherspoons have huge cardboard poppies outside their pubs, or that the simple poppy is no longer universal but is up against expensive displays or 'care'.

And I am well aware that conscription did not come in until Mar 2016 - that was my whole point. They were sacrificed, along with millions of others of all creeds and nationalities. Trying to reduce that complex and ghastly event into one simply 'showing your willy' sign of your virtue is offensive. There are no poppies for those who came back, or headstones in the local churchyard. Certainly 'silly billy' who was shell shocked so badly he lived in a barn unable to mix in the village and died there alone in the 30's. Alone as so many did.

His wife could not remarry as long as he was alive and had to move into a one up one down cottage on the estate until he 'came to his senses' and went back to work. Three kids as well. He was my grandfathers pal. The stigma stayed with his sons and their children. I know because as a kid I joined in the mocking. Only this time, as an adult I can choose how I respond to what happened to him and millions of others.

And no sanctimonious bullying by you or other self righteous sheep will change what happened or how it affects me. Nor how I respond either. I have and will exercise that choice. Something that was denied to a huge number of young lads in my village.

A choice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bill said:

More dangerous, ignorant bigotry

"It is not your right, it is right, that you should wear one."

Rather like the religious cranks who claim some man in the sky gave us all 'free will'' just as long as we exercise it tin accordance with his commands.

A few years back and well before that the wearing of a poppy was down to individual choice. Many who had not lost family or close friends and saw it as a bit odd to 'remember' those they never knew.

Now it has bcome something akin to red nose day. Somehow those not participating are deemed not to care for the plight of others - never mind that they might wonder why so many needed a charity to care for those the poppy wearer tell us gave us freedom. No asking why the great and good will be leading the events at the Cenotaph whilst so many ex-servicemen are sleeping on the streets.

No questioning why Wetherspoons have huge cardboard poppies outside their pubs, or that the simple poppy is no longer universal but is up against expensive displays or 'care'.

And I am well aware that conscription did not come in until Mar 2016 - that was my whole point. They were sacrificed, along with millions of others of all creeds and nationalities. Trying to reduce that complex and ghastly event into one simply 'showing your willy' sign of your virtue is offensive. There are no poppies for those who came back, or headstones in the local churchyard. Certainly 'silly billy' who was shell shocked so badly he lived in a barn unable to mix in the village and died there alone in the 30's. Alone as so many did.

His wife could not remarry as long as he was alive and had to move into a one up one down cottage on the estate until he 'came to his senses' and went back to work. Three kids as well. He was my grandfathers pal. The stigma stayed with his sons and their children. I know because as a kid I joined in the mocking. Only this time, as an adult I can choose how I respond to what happened to him and millions of others.

And no sanctimonious bullying by you or other self righteous sheep will change what happened or how it affects me. Nor how I respond either. I have and will exercise that choice. Something that was denied to a huge number of young lads in my village.

A choice.

A very good post 👍🏻