KiwiScot

Talk amongst the crowd

The "click" point happened with Farke after a season and a bit where he had tabula rasa as a starting point. Smith didn't have the first transfer window at all as we'd already spent the whole damn budget. He spent the rest of the Premier League season working out what he felt was needed, and the previous window was the first one where he's been able to recruit for what he wants to see. Essentially, Smith's had his first window now so whilst his reign is close to a year, his opportunity to shape the team has been far less than that. So if you can't "see a goal" yet, remember that Smith is not as far on as you think as he's not had the same time to shape matters. It took two preseasons for Farke and essentially three windows. In essence, Smith's just had his first.

Arguably his two major signings in Hayden and Sara aren't firing on all cylinders yet due to injury and acclimatisation. We've got a crisis at left-back again where even our universal gap filler in Lungi is out for months with both Giannoulis and McCallum out with long-term cases. No-one's consistently put their hand up on the right flank so Sargent's a fish out of water but essentially acting as an improvised wide target man.

We've been far better from set pieces this season already. How often did we curse inability at both attacking and defending corners under Farke? Our danger at set-pieces was a Vrancic (or occasionally Dowell) free-kick and that was about it. Heck, this season Hanley's scoring at the back stick with his FEET!

The football will not be as outright pretty as it was under Farke. Get used to it. Remember the halo effect, and keep it in mind when evaluating. And this comes from a poster who still wanted Farke in when he was sacked.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

But that's the point the "click" point had happened by now with farke and it was torid at the start like people like to remind us.

The problem now is it's torid and I don't see any direction or goal.

At least with farke we could see what he was trying even though it was failing at this point.

Ā 

No, many couldn't. They said possession under Farke was pointless and just passing it between the back. In fact there's a post from yourself back then describing it as such. There was no real understanding of what he was trying to do because if people genuinely understood it they wouldn't have wanted him sacked like you did.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No, many couldn't. They said possession under Farke was pointless and just passing it between the back. In fact there's a post from yourself back then describing it as such. There was no real understanding of what he was trying to do because if people genuinely understood it they wouldn't have wanted him sacked like you did.

Yup well I was wrong about farke and maybe I will be wrong about Smith.

Doubt it.

4 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

To be fair I was thinking... When did I write this??Ā 

In fairness I do remember how bleak that farke season was to begin with, but then that was 2018 and farke ball had yet to click.

On the flip side I don't even know what Smith's plan was.

Stand by my 2018 comments and by my current feelings. Retrospectively this feels worse as it's the first time I've honestly thought about jacking in my ticket.

I posted this because it was one of the many groundhog moments me and Rickyyy have had. Shows how often the cycle goes round.Ā 

It's also reasonable to think that fans will have the same emotions over and over again. David McNally once said 'football is cyclical'. I think our emotions are too.

I guess old duffers see this more clearly.

Btw this was Farke's second season and, like now with Smith, followed a disappointing first season where Farkeball had boos ringing around the stadium.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Yup well I was wrong about farke and maybe I will be wrong about Smith.

Doubt it.

Track record suggests I should put money on you being wrong, especially combined with the results we've already had this season and the points on board.

22 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Track record suggests I should put money on you being wrong, especially combined with the results we've already had this season and the points on board.

It's not about the results it's about the boring football.

I think you missed that.

To answer Russel crowe. "No I am not entertained"

5 hours ago, cornish sam said:

To be fair, it was only half way through nexus' post when he mentioned beating the binners that I had to check when this thread was from... Ricky is right though about cycles, it just seems like the fans are on a different cycle to the club.

What I have witnessed over the years is that after a really disappointing season it takes a while for fans to forgive and forget. If we keep winning that will happen.

43 minutes ago, hogesar said:

That's not true. There were plenty who genuinely understood what he was trying to do but didn't think it had much hope of succeeding. They were still wrong, but it's not as binary as camp one seeing what he was trying to do and wanting him kept in and camp two not understanding what he was trying to do and wanting him sacked.

13 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Groundhog Days @ricardoĀ 

Don't you just love them šŸ™ƒ

šŸ˜€

Somethings never change and some only want the ups and not the downs. Neither the good nor the bad are permanent states of existence for NCFC supporters.

Learn to ride out the peaks and troughs, its the whole experience that counts. Many of the friends and workmates that used to attend with me fell by the wayside when times got tough and at times I was sorelyĀ  tempted to do the same but I somehowĀ  stuck it out.

Now, when I look back at my near on 70 years of going to CR I can honestly say I wouldn'tĀ  have missed any of it for the world.

• Like 2

Maybe we should lobby for a change in the way points are awarded in the Champs.Ā Ā 

0. Lose Playing badlyĀ 

1. Lose Playing WellĀ 

2. DrawĀ 

3. Win but not playing well.

4. Win Playing Well.

We'd have 27pts of a maximum 48 .

I've not seen enough of the Blunts to know how their fans feel about how many points they should have under the revised system. The table would of course reflect fans opinions in the manner of the win or loss, or should that be decided by a panel of pundits. It could make the time between the game ending and a decision being made on pts awarded like a kind ofĀ  'VARMAX'. With time for adverts and sales of drink, food and merchandise.

This system would ensure that success would be achieved by not just winning , but winning well.

Bonus points for pretty triangles and backheels , which are added at the end of the season in a special ppv Big Bonus Sunday.Ā 

Ā 

šŸ˜‡šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜Š

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by wcorkcanary

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

What I have witnessed over the years is that after a really disappointing season it takes a while for fans to forgive and forget. If we keep winning that will happen.

(Most)supporters will always forgive and forget if their team is winning .......and fill up the ground accordingly.You've only got to cast your eyes down the A14 for proof of that right now.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

That's not true. There were plenty who genuinely understood what he was trying to do but didn't think it had much hope of succeeding. They were still wrong, but it's not as binary as camp one seeing what he was trying to do and wanting him kept in and camp two not understanding what he was trying to do and wanting him sacked.

There were some who claimed to understand what he was trying to do, but their only explanation at the time, and feel free to look back at the posts, was "keep the ball".Ā 

And ultimately yes, they were horrifically, exponentially wrong.

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

The "click" point happened with Farke after a season and a bit where he had tabula rasa as a starting point. Smith didn't

Smith does have Gabriel Sara, though.Ā  I can't even remember this Tabula fella kicking a ball for us!

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Smith does have Gabriel Sara, though.Ā  I can't even remember this Tabula fella kicking a ball for us!

Blackpool's commentators would have had no freaking chance on how to pronounce it, considering how badly they struggled with "Omobamidele".

We might be at the top end of theĀ table for results but the output of most on here areĀ bottom of the table stuff.

Edited by Crafty Canary