Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Charlton match thread

Pre-season games really are all about fitness, shape etc. Result is irrelevant

It''s always nice to avoid defeats, but they can serve as a kick up the backside if:when complacency starts to rear its head. Clearly there''d be something up if we looked poor and/or got hammered, but otherwise these games are merely a means to an end: getting players fit, trying out tactics/formations, assimilating new players into the team, and above all trying to avoid injuries.

I’ve also thought Trybull looked unconvincing in a couple of our other pre season games. If Tettey is still out I think we need Thompson or Godfrey in there as Trybull on his own appears to leave us a little exposed.

Just watched the highlights, moved the ball well, plenty of shots, unlucky with the offside goal, not too bad

Think this was on the cards. Playing Husband and Passlack as the backs, Trybull as the holding midfielder, in a 4141 format that ive never liked, but obviously DF does, against a high line pressing team was always prone to a defeat. Husband we all know about, our last choice for LB, the media guys rightly pointed out that Passlack has the credentials to be good but, as with last seasons foreign imports, will need time to adjust to the rigours of the Championship. But thats what pre seasons all about of course, giving all the guys game time, even the ones who are most likely not first choice in the starting eleven.
I see so many posters saying "Give it 10 games blah blah"...i never understand that strange comment, the season is 46 games. Anyway, our first run of games seem to be challenging and with the likes of Tettey, Lewis, Pinto, Vrancic etc at various stages of readiness / unreadiness, i will not expect us to be charging at the top in those opening stages.. But the Charlton game, just like all the other pre season games, in isolation, bare zero resemblance to the real stuff thats now  almost upon us.

Derby Canary, Lincoln (Where has he got to), Highland et al...

11/1 for us to get relegated. Lump on.

Sometimes Highland youre a little delirious in your optimism! ;)

Will you be at Birmingham?

Highland has either got himself a good woman/partner or the sun has sent him a bit loopy.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]
[quote user="CANARYKING"]Second half team looks more like it, just Rhodes to come in[/quote]
Not forgetting of course Jamal Lewis.
[/quote]
Vrancic as well.

H - Can’t make Birm but got tix for Sheff Utd which was both entertaining and a little edgy last season! Looking forward to it and indeed West Brom. Hoping we have a more effective solution than Husband in the starting line up - not a fan of Stieperman but needs must I fear.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]H - Can’t make Birm but got tix for Sheff Utd which was both entertaining and a little edgy last season! Looking forward to it and indeed West Brom. Hoping we have a more effective solution than Husband in the starting line up - not a fan of Stieperman but needs must I fear.[/quote]
If you were at Sheff utd last season you would have seen Stiepermann have a fine match, he had the right winger in his pocket, showed great anticipation and kept the left back position, even after Husband came on.  He is a good option at left back.

Just my opinion LDC, if you had watched most of the matches last season you may well have formed a different view. Let’s not forget last season was so abysmal me finished below 1p5wich.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Just my opinion LDC, if you had watched most of the matches last season you may well have formed a different view. Let’s not forget last season was so abysmal me finished below 1p5wich.[/quote]
No problem, Highland, mind you, although it wasn''t a great season, there were some wonderful moments, the cup games and Maddison for instance.    As for Ipswich, personally couldn''t care less where they finish any season.