Sign in to follow this  
pete

Moritz looks good

I do not think the club would have taken him on if there was not a ''certainty'' that they could sign him on a permanent deal - and be aware what the terms were."it is where the ''gegenpress'' was ''invented'' after all."Or what was known a while back a closing down early, something that is years old.All that has changed is the use of different terminology

I did use the inverted commas on ''invented'' to show that it isn''t really a Klopp or Dortmund invention. Although he took it to the nth degree in its execution.

There is a difference in ''closing down early'' and drilling around different 30 pressing ''triggers'' into your players, establishing pressing traps and using 4 players to hunt down the ball etc. But yes, nothing new in the high press per se - Sacchi used it very effectively in 80s.

Farke was asked if there is an option in the Leitner deal, and he pretty much said there wasn''t. We shall see in the summer if there is or not.

Thanks Bethnal, I knew you''d know more about him. What would you say his best position is? Sitting deeper and dictating the play as he did on Saturday, or further forward creating the final ball to play in someone for a strike on goal?

Hard to say Woodman. Tuchel used him both in the more advanced role and a deeper role, depending on what was needed at the time.

He''d often come on as a sub for someone like Kagawa or Gundogan. He played as a number 10 in a 4-2-3-1 or deeper in a 3-4-3 - this versatility might be what Farke and Webber identified. Certainly doesn''t have the physical strength to play like a Tettey or Trybull though and could suffer from criticism like Vrancic does for seeming lazy or lightweight.

When he was younger many felt he might end up on the wings, not as a speedy winger type though, more like Pritchard as someone who''d start wide and drift inside to influence the game.

Hoping he keeps playing well and Norwich can secure him on a permanent deal if all does go well. Suspect he has been lined up as the Maddison replacement for the summer.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Suspect he has been lined up as the Maddison replacement for the summer.[/quote]

My thoughts also.

By the summer I would have thought the hope is most would have accepted JM departure (for a great big bid) and then have the blow reduced by knowing ML can cut the mustard.

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/canaries-fc-augsburg-moritz-leitner-real-deal-for-farke-1-5383376

To me this doesn’t sound too promising on him becoming permanent. Which is a real shame.

I believe our Madison replacement is currently on loan in Scotland. I would be glad to be proved wrong during the summer window.

[quote user="Redders Right Foot"]To me this doesn’t sound too promising on him becoming permanent. Which is a real shame. [/quote]Too early to say really. Augsburg only paid Lazio 2 million Euro for him, so the transfer fee wouldn''t be an issue. The wages are probably affordable, but at the top end of our wage budget.Primarily it''s going to be about whether he can stay injury free for the rest of the season, and then whether he actually wants to drop down to the Championship, or try to find himself a mid-table Bundesliga club. He''s barely played in 18 months.

I suppose we can make a more accurate assessment after he''s had a few games at this level, to see if we all still think he''s the bees knees.Looks a good bet to me, but a different player to Maddison. I think we''d still need a player with the ability to score goals from midfield regularly (something Leitner hasn''t really been known for).

[quote user="writeronthestorm"][quote user="bringbackchippy"]At last someone to replace Ian Crook! Looks a player[/quote]

Kartoffelchippy ?[/quote]Well played [:D]