Sign in to follow this  
Surfbird

Mbokani

It seems like Kyiv will let him go for no transfer fee. A recent change in registration rules in the Ukrainian league has made it harder to have non-Ukrainian players (basically an attempt to force clubs to get rid of their Russian players for obvious reasons).

Kyiv are over the amount of non-Ukraine players allowed so he has effectively been frozen out of their squad, he is currently living in Belgium and not training, which is a whole other issue. Football hipster favourite (Younès Belhanda is also in the same situation).

Anyway, due to being on large wages and Kyiv being unable to actually play him, they will let him go for nothing. Reports have suggested that Mbokani turned down a very lucrative move to China as he still wants to play in Europe - especially the Premier League. I''m sure he would take a significant wage cut to play somewhere, mainly as no one is going to match his current wages, but I doubt he''d want to turn out in the Championship for a season - especially as he is turning 31 soon and knows he probably has only a few years left in his career.

I suspect if no one has come with a better offer soon he might start reconsidering his options, but how far Norwich are down this list is another matter.

Will playing top-flight football outside of England be seen as more desirable than playing in England, at a lower level for him?

I''m not too sure about the rumours linking him to a move to Turkey, I remember him being linked several clubs there before Norwich signed him and there has been talk of him going to one club or another for most of the summer. He was also making some ''come get me'' pleas to Anderlecht fairly recently.

As for whether he''d be a good signing, it is hard to say really. His lack of movement would be an issue in a team that already crowds the central areas and the lack of wide men to hit in crosses wouldn''t play to his strength. That being said he is clinical and score roughly once every other game in the Prem (based on goals per 90mins). The last striker with that kind of record was Holty.

From looking at the video of the press conference I think this ''link'' has been over hyped. AN seemed to suggest the club is in negotiation with other teams for a striker, but as that came out before the chat about Mbokani I assume it is someone else.

Fingers crossed for Nahki Wells.

If we are indeed after Wells we maybe ought to hurry that one along, Villa are apparently sniffing around (Di Matteo still seems after more up front).

Interesting reading Bethnal, but it does indeed put doubt over him coming here - as you say I think we''re probably on his B list rather than A, but having said that he has played here and knows the staff so he may well give us a bit more love if he had to choose between us and a similar club elsewhere. Andelecht seems a sensible destination for him if they want him, with his ties to Belgium and all and the fact he currently resides there.

I would like us to offer him a year and be up front with him and say look, if you do well for us but we don''t get promoted other clubs will come in for you and we''ll let you go, but if we get promoted you get another crack at the Prem. I''d imagine that''s the kind of deals AN would put on the table if need be.

As for Chamakh, I never really liked his attitude and every time I''ve seen him play he''s been rather underwhelming. Since being in England he has scored 15 goals in 102 games including 8 in a decent Arsenal side. That''s 1 goal in every 8 games or a 0.15 chance of scoring per game - doesn''t strike me as the kind of player we need when Jerome is 0.24 (1 in 4) across his career but more importantly is 0.3 (1 in 3) for us.

Imagine how depressing selling Hooper and Grabban and signing Chamakh would be!

I would like him to sign, but you have to question his motivation.  At this point, I would say yes, get him if we can, but would be underwhelmed at his lack of  getting someting sorted before now. It''s all very well wanting to see what your options are, but sometimes, the best solution is staring you in the face.  He knows what we are like, if he had liked Norwich enough, he could have been involved much

earlier, got better acquainted with the new players and got stuck in.   As it is, he would be joining from a lesser position, less fit, less up to speed - so no better than any other new signing. Still think he could do a great job, but if he is waiting on other clubs and we are way down his list, then it''s probably a no go. 

Yet but those stats don''t really tell the true comparison. Jerome has played in the Championship.

Jerome mins in prem= 10,828 with 26 goals. Thats 416mins per goal ( 1 every 4.6 games)

Chamakh mins in prem= 5,881 with 15 goals. Thats 392mins per goal (1 every 4.3 games)

I''m not comparing who is better, just that Chamakh on a free could be an ok cheap option to warm the bench at this level. He has never played in the Championship but the difference in quality is there for everyone to see for strikers. Jerome is so so bad in the premier league, yet he is a top 10 striker in the championship. Chamakh could be the same and on a free could be well worth a 2nd fiddle option to Jerome.

Just a thought. Wages may well be the stumbling block however, i''ve no idea.

Bethnal - Mbokani may be living in Belgium but as i understand it has been seen several times recently in Norwich.

[quote user="Surfbird"]Bethnal - Mbokani may be living in Belgium but as i understand it has been seen several times recently in Norwich.[/quote]

Maybe he left his phone charger in his hotel room?

LDC, I''m afraid it comes down to cash. It''s his job. And it''s a very short career at the top.

I would do exactly the same in his position; if you''re offered a job in one town which represents a 50% increase in salary against a similar job in a nicer place, both being a long way from home, which would you choose? I suspect most of us would take the former - especially when it''s only for 2 or 3 years.

As long as he''s motivated (if he comes!) I''ve no problem with waiting.

If he is living in Belgium and not been training he should be up to speed to quote AN by Christmas

No one wants him and his remarks re not playing in The Championship speaks volumes

Would be good in the championship. But nobody will touch him in the prem he''s nowhere near good enough for that league. Also £80 a week?! That''s a joke he''s not worth half that!

[quote user="have my howson it"]Would be good in the championship. But nobody will touch him in the prem he''s nowhere near good enough for that league. Also £80 a week?! That''s a joke he''s not worth half that![/quote]Yeah i reckon twenty is plenty.