Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Redmond unleashed!

[quote user="Ray"]Morty,

Again, agree with much of what you say and agree with Willian, but running the full length of a football pitch is surely a skill all players have irrespective of their other abilities, or level thereof.

If we want to succeed in the Prem, then all eleven have to put in a shift surely. May be it''s down to NR to improve this aspect of his game, he will certainly have to if he wants to dine at the top table. If he doesn''t, or can''t, then he''ll always be a lower Prem league/Championship player (imo).[/quote]I am not giving Redmond some sort of note to excuse him putting effort in. But I really think that given the right setup, we can get more out of him than we currently are.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Ray"]Morty,

Again, agree with much of what you say and agree with Willian, but running the full length of a football pitch is surely a skill all players have irrespective of their other abilities, or level thereof.

If we want to succeed in the Prem, then all eleven have to put in a shift surely. May be it''s down to NR to improve this aspect of his game, he will certainly have to if he wants to dine at the top table. If he doesn''t, or can''t, then he''ll always be a lower Prem league/Championship player (imo).[/quote]I am not giving Redmond some sort of note to excuse him putting effort in. But I really think that given the right setup, we can get more out of him than we currently are.[/quote] The prior question is whether getting the best out of Redmond is more important than anything else right now. Are you saying that getting the best out of Redmond would make us more effective as a team than any other setup/strategy ("more effective" being measured by points gained)?

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Ray"]Morty,

If we want to succeed in the Prem, then all eleven have to put in a shift surely. May be it''s down to NR to improve this aspect of his game, he will certainly have to if he wants to dine at the top table. If he doesn''t, or can''t, then he''ll always be a lower Prem league/Championship player (imo).[/quote]I am not giving Redmond some sort of note to excuse him putting effort in. But I really think that given the right setup, we can get more out of him than we currently are.[/quote] The prior question is whether getting the best out of Redmond is more important than anything else right now. Are you saying that getting the best out of Redmond would make us more effective as a team than any other setup/strategy ("more effective" being measured by points gained)?[/quote]I think he is a player, who at his best, can create chances and turn a game.So yes, I think it would make us more effective.We play at our best when we are pressing, pace can only help that.

"I think he is a player, who at his best, can create chances and turn a game." Same can be said of Hoolahan, and indeed others, Howson for example, who almost never gets to play in his most effective position (central behind the striker). I don''t see that Redmond is so special in this respect.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]"I think he is a player, who at his best, can create chances and turn a game." Same can be said of Hoolahan, and indeed others, Howson for example, who almost never gets to play in his most effective position (central behind the striker). I don''t see that Redmond is so special in this respect. [/quote]Well thats up to the manager, isn''t it?When Hoolahan could play every game we built the team around him, now I fear the time is coming where his great games are becoming fewer. I love Howson as a player, but he has suffered patches of inconsistency in his time here, one week he looks like the perfect midfielder, the next not so much so, and its not just about him being played out of position either.We''ll agree to disagree on Redmond, but Alex Neil''s recent comments perhaps hint that he is seeing it similarly to how I am.

For goodness sake chaps, for years we''ve had the Hoolahan conundrum, where do we play him, how do we accommodate him in the team, what formation can we play to his best advantage, now you''re saying we''ve got another player who we have to accommodate because he can''t defend and needs ''special treatment'' to get the best from, in case he might produce a bit of magic, which I might add, has been on the whole, sadly lacking, and we probably can''t play Hoolahan because of it.  I mean are we a team of special cases and can''t play as a TEAM, because if we have to start accomodating player after player you have to ask should they be there.  Hoolahan we''ve known about for years, and he''s produced the goods, but as this thread has shown the jury is more than unconvinced with regards to Mr Redmond.

[quote user="OldRobert"]For goodness sake chaps, for years we''ve had the Hoolahan conundrum, where do we play him, how do we accommodate him in the team, what formation can we play to his best advantage, now you''re saying we''ve got another player who we have to accommodate because he can''t defend and needs ''special treatment'' to get the best from, in case he might produce a bit of magic, which I might add, has been on the whole, sadly lacking, and we probably can''t play Hoolahan because of it.  I mean are we a team of special cases and can''t play as a TEAM, because if we have to start accomodating player after player you have to ask should they be there.  Hoolahan we''ve known about for years, and he''s produced the goods, but as this thread has shown the jury is more than unconvinced with regards to Mr Redmond.[/quote]Were you convinced about Redmond''s contribution last season, under a different system?No one is on about special treatment, its about playing to the strengths we have to attain the best results.

WC, yes you said he "may" have peaked, I can''t agree with that, as I said before with the right coaching and work ethic there are areas of his game which he can improve. If he had peaked then the logic would be that he can''t improve any more, that''s what I can''t accept.

No need to apologise btw, it''s a forum where people express a view and others sometimes challenge it, indeed nothing is black and white, agreed.

Redmond undoubtably has talent, but I believe his mentality is what requires development. It''s widely agreed that he plays well in an England shirt perhaps having mentally charged himself up for it.

I am concerned that weekly appearances in yellow are not getting him as fired up and it is showing in his performances. He is a character who needs an arm around him. Maybe that style of man management is lacking

[quote user="percy varco"]Redmond undoubtably has talent, but I believe his mentality is what requires development. It''s widely agreed that he plays well in an England shirt perhaps having mentally charged himself up for it.

I am concerned that weekly appearances in yellow are not getting him as fired up and it is showing in his performances. He is a character who needs an arm around him. Maybe that style of man management is lacking[/quote]1. The U21''s really isn''t that great a standard, certainly nowhere near the Premiership.2. I could be wrong, but am pretty sure the U21''s play 4-4-2 a lot more often

[quote user="morty"][quote user="percy varco"]Redmond undoubtably has talent, but I believe his mentality is what requires development. It''s widely agreed that he plays well in an England shirt perhaps having mentally charged himself up for it.

I am concerned that weekly appearances in yellow are not getting him as fired up and it is showing in his performances. He is a character who needs an arm around him. Maybe that style of man management is lacking[/quote]1. The U21''s really isn''t that great a standard, certainly nowhere near the Premiership.2. I could be wrong, but am pretty sure the U21''s play 4-4-2 a lot more often[/quote]

Valid points Sir! However his England form is being upheld as yardstick for his ability. His demeanour week in week out recently makes me wonder if his head is 100% "here".

[quote user="percy varco"][quote user="morty"][quote user="percy varco"]Redmond undoubtably has talent, but I believe his mentality is what requires development. It''s widely agreed that he plays well in an England shirt perhaps having mentally charged himself up for it.

I am concerned that weekly appearances in yellow are not getting him as fired up and it is showing in his performances. He is a character who needs an arm around him. Maybe that style of man management is lacking[/quote]1. The U21''s really isn''t that great a standard, certainly nowhere near the Premiership.2. I could be wrong, but am pretty sure the U21''s play 4-4-2 a lot more often[/quote]

Valid points Sir! However his England form is being upheld as yardstick for his ability. His demeanour week in week out recently makes me wonder if his head is 100% "here".[/quote]Yes it is.His form for a totally different team, at a totally different level, being used as a yardstick makes perfect sense [;)]And how long have we being saying he wants away now, didn''t he want to go when we got relegated?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="percy varco"][quote user="morty"][quote user="percy varco"]Redmond undoubtably has talent, but I believe his mentality is what requires development. It''s widely agreed that he plays well in an England shirt perhaps having mentally charged himself up for it.

Valid points Sir! However his England form is being upheld as yardstick for his ability. His demeanour week in week out recently makes me wonder if his head is 100% "here".[/quote]Yes it is.His form for a totally different team, at a totally different level, being used as a yardstick makes perfect sense [;)]And how long have we being saying he wants away now, didn''t he want to go when we got relegated?[/quote]

I don''t mean not "here" as in wants to leave , I mean 100% focuses and not having an off time at work which is what us humans have for whatever reason no matter what job we do

[quote user="percy varco"][quote user="morty"][quote user="percy varco"][quote user="morty"][quote user="percy varco"]Redmond undoubtably has talent, but I believe his mentality is what requires development. It''s widely agreed that he plays well in an England shirt perhaps having mentally charged himself up for it.

Valid points Sir! However his England form is being upheld as yardstick for his ability. His demeanour week in week out recently makes me wonder if his head is 100% "here".[/quote]Yes it is.His form for a totally different team, at a totally different level, being used as a yardstick makes perfect sense [;)]And how long have we being saying he wants away now, didn''t he want to go when we got relegated?[/quote]

I don''t mean not "here" as in wants to leave , I mean 100% focuses and not having an off time at work which is what us humans have for whatever reason no matter what job we do[/quote]I get what you''re saying, but I see it as frustration at being "shackled" somewhat offensively, a bit like asking Huckerby to track back!Or maybe we all are just expecting something of him that he just doesn''t have?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="percy varco"][quote user="morty"][quote user="percy varco"][quote user="morty"][quote user="percy varco"]Redmond undoubtably has talent, but I believe his mentality is what requires development. It''s widely agreed that he plays well in an England shirt perhaps having mentally charged himself up for it.

I don''t mean not "here" as in wants to leave , I mean 100% focuses and not having an off time at work which is what us humans have for whatever reason no matter what job we do[/quote]I get what you''re saying, but I see it as frustration at being "shackled" somewhat offensively, a bit like asking Huckerby to track back!Or maybe we all are just expecting something of him that he just doesn''t have?[/quote]

Maybe.

Redmond has often played for the England U-21s as a left winger and a lot of his goals for them have come when he''s been in that position and cut infield and shot with his right foot. But I think he has only played on the left for us when Hughton played Snoddy on the right, and the general consensus on here was that inverted wingers didn''t work.

Maybe it''s time to try it again but perhaps with more success as Brady won''t slow things down like Snoddy did-and Brady has a right foot that he can use, as he showed last week.

I searched through every page to see if anyone had mentioned Huckerby. Mr Angry you got it right. I know times have changed but I think Redmond is being asked to do what he is rubbish at. Huckerby wasn''t renowned for getting back defending and maybe he isn''t the player Huckerby was but let''s give it a go. His form isn''t getting better, maybe his head isn''t 100% there. Let''s give him a job that''ll fire him up. If this doesn''t work we won''t have lost anything because he''s a liability in defence. If it does work he might just have the impact that Huckerby had and see us over the line and stay up.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]Redmond has often played for the England U-21s as a left winger and a lot of his goals for them have come when he''s been in that position and cut infield and shot with his right foot. But I think he has only played on the left for us when Hughton played Snoddy on the right, and the general consensus on here was that inverted wingers didn''t work.

Maybe it''s time to try it again but perhaps with more success as Brady won''t slow things down like Snoddy did-and Brady has a right foot that he can use, as he showed last week.[/quote]I could be wrong, but sure I have seen Brady and Redmond switching wings during a game.But yeah, it could be a change that works[Y]

He was on the left wing when his flick set up the 2nd goal vs West Ham.

I, for one, am excited if he is being told that he can focus on getting forward more. That has to be countered by those behind him (Tettey, O''Neil, Martin, Howson primarily) being very focused about the big gap behind him that will inevitably be there if he''s getting forward more.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="OldRobert"]For goodness sake chaps, for years we''ve had the Hoolahan conundrum, where do we play him, how do we accommodate him in the team, what formation can we play to his best advantage, now you''re saying we''ve got another player who we have to accommodate because he can''t defend and needs ''special treatment'' to get the best from, in case he might produce a bit of magic, which I might add, has been on the whole, sadly lacking, and we probably can''t play Hoolahan because of it.  I mean are we a team of special cases and can''t play as a TEAM, because if we have to start accomodating player after player you have to ask should they be there.  Hoolahan we''ve known about for years, and he''s produced the goods, but as this thread has shown the jury is more than unconvinced with regards to Mr Redmond.[/quote]Were you convinced about Redmond''s contribution last season, under a different system?No one is on about special treatment, its about playing to the strengths we have to attain the best results.[/quote]Firstly apologies for being tardy in replying.  I''ve never been totally convinced by Redmond regretfully.  I''ve wanted him to do well, but I always feel that he''s never quite got whatever it is that marks out the exceptional from the pretty ordinary.  At times he''s shown some promise but he''s never imo pushed on from there to the next level, but that''s just my opinion, although it would appear I''m not quite as alone as I thought I was!I have to disagree regarding special treatment however, if you allow a player to negate defensive duties for example, you are giving him special treatment, and someone else is going to have to have to work twice as hard to take up the slack.  It is also in this case going to expose the RB which is a problem area anyway which again imo, we cannot afford to do.  Of course it''s special treatment to allow a player this sort of freedom unless he''s someone like Messi or Ronaldo, which he ain''t.  Either he fit''s in, works hard for the team or he doesn''t.  Incidentally he could only manage 4 goals in the Championship so I don''t think this ''Redmond Unleashed'' is going to make a blind bit of difference.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]They switch wings all the time[/quote] It amazes me (as it clearly does you Jenks) that people have to have this pointed out to them. Maybe we should make regular visits to whoscored.com with lengthy perusal of players'' heatmaps a pre-requisite of posting? It''s as though some people think real players are as fixed in position as the puppet players in table football. [:D]

I do think Redmond could improve the defensive side of his game. But then so could Russell Martin.

GJP,

And the point of your comment on this thread is.....?

All of our players could improve every aspect of their game so why pick solely on RM?