Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

A New Stadium at Broadland?

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="ricardo"]Woodside Rd isn''t and never has been in Sprowston.[/quote]Perhaps you could let the police, council, rightmove etc. know...?[/quote]

That''s the trouble with people who only do things on paper - I used to live in Thorpe and Woodside Rd was always considered as part of Thorpe.  As for Right move.....http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-39098918.html[;)]

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="ricardo"]Woodside Rd isn''t and never has been in Sprowston.[/quote]Perhaps you could let the police, council, rightmove etc. know...?http://www.britishstreets.info/woodside-road-sprowston-civil-parish-norwich-norfolk

[/quote]The first 20 odd properties on the eastern side of Woodside Road at its junction with Salhouse Road are in the Parish of Sprowston.http://www.broadland.gov.uk/images/sprowston_neighbourhood_area_map2.pdfBut its a long, long walk from there to Broadlands Business Park.

[quote user="Molly Windley"][quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="ricardo"]Woodside Rd isn''t and never has been in Sprowston.[/quote]Perhaps you could let the police, council, rightmove etc. know...?http://www.britishstreets.info/woodside-road-sprowston-civil-parish-norwich-norfolk

[/quote]The first 20 odd properties on the eastern side of Woodside Road at its junction with Salhouse Road are in the Parish of Sprowston.http://www.broadland.gov.uk/images/sprowston_neighbourhood_area_map2.pdfBut its a long, long walk from there to Broadlands Business Park.[/quote]Shorter than walking to CR although to be fair it would depend upon exactly where a new stadium would be on the Broadland site so likely not much difference.

Where do you live Mr.Cavendish because your local knowledge is poor at best. Next you will be telling us that Diss which by the way is in Norfolk is actually part of 1p5wich as it has an IP postcode.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="tom cavendish"]It isn''t just all about you. [/quote]

The other point that nobody seems to want to address is that simply building a 35k stadium doesn''t mean that we will suddenly be entertaining 35k crowds. Anything over 30k is going to be a very rare event, especially as we cannot guarantee perpetual Premier League status. The population of the county has certainly increased and is probably getting on for double what it was 60 years ago. However you will find that a huge majority of our plus 35k crowds happened more than 50 years ago. There is no immediate demand for a stadium of this size and if people find that they can still be sure of a seat without buying a season ticket we will soon find that large numbers will find it more convenient to be more selective about which games they will attend.Any serious analysis much surely come to the conclusion that expanding Carrow Road is the only sensible option. [/quote]
Exactly Ricardo. 
We are now into the second day of sales of Stoke tickets are there are still seats available in all stands. So despite the feel good factor of promotion and Wembley there is not a desperate scramble amongst priority members to get there hands on what is a limited number of tickets.
OK we will no doubt sell out when the remaining tickets go on sale to season ticket holders or general sale. But if it is to believed that we could regularly sell another 4 or 5 thousand tickets then surely the demand for the current limited number of casual tickets would be at such a level that they sell out in a matter of minutes.
Possibly we already have a stadium that is closer to fitting our needs than some would like to believe. 

[quote user="tom cavendish"]...because the bottom end is classed as Thorpe St Andrew... whereas towards the far end (from where I measured) is in Sprowston... [/quote]The last 20yds may well fall into the edge of the Parish of Sprowston but you could ask a hundred Norwich people where Woodside Rd is and I doubt if any would say anything other than Thorpe St Andrew or Heartsease. If you want to quote distances at least quote them from somewhere near the centre of the district. Sprowston is the environs of Sprowston Rd and further on into Wroxham Rd and thats a long old stroll from Woodside Rd.

I give up.  You think you have an answer to everything - but you don''t - all you have is analysis and data.  Those two things in the wrong hands usually lead to trouble and a waste of vast resources to no good end.  I hope to goodness we never have the type of ego in charge of our club that wants to go in the direction you put forward for their own gratification - because that is what it would be - an ego trip - and the club''s character and connection to the centre of the city and all that is good about that would be thrown away.

Finally - you still haven''t accepted or acknowledged anyone''s concerns about why they think it would be better to stay at CR.  There are good reasons to stay at CR - you just refuse to acknowledge it - there are two sides to every story, yet you are fixated on one side only. At least try to understamd what people are saying to you - I like to see people who show single mindedness and determination - but not if the result of that single-mindedness and determination has the goal of  destroying what has taken 80 years to build. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]I give up.  You think you have an answer to everything - but you don''t - all you have is analysis and data.  Those two things in the wrong hands usually lead to trouble and a waste of vast resources to no good end.  I hope to goodness we never have the type of ego in charge of our club that wants to go in the direction you put forward for their own gratification - because that is what it would be - an ego trip - and the club''s character and connection to the centre of the city and all that is good about that would be thrown away.

Finally - you still haven''t accepted or acknowledged anyone''s concerns about why they think it would be better to stay at CR.  There are good reasons to stay at CR - you just refuse to acknowledge it - there are two sides to every story, yet you are fixated on one side only. At least try to understamd what people are saying to you - I like to see people who show single mindedness and determination - but not if the result of that single-mindedness and determination has the goal of  destroying what has taken 80 years to build. 

[/quote]Have no fear LDC, I fully expect that when the time comes for my ashes to be scattered it will be at Carrow Rd and not some white elephant vanity project site in the middle of Christ knows where.[Y]

Anyone got any idea when the NDR will be started as I thought there are questions over funding and who will pay what as the Govt will only provide £80 million of the £148.5 million costs ? There are also noises with regard to a legal challenge to this road development.

I expect our Tom will provide the answers. [;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Anyone got any idea when the NDR will be started as I thought there are questions over funding and who will pay what as the Govt will only provide £80 million of the £148.5 million costs ? There are also noises with regard to a legal challenge to this road development.

I expect our Tom will provide the answers. [;)]

[/quote]If it doesn''t link to the A47 there is no point in building it.A road to nowhere.[Y]

Elfin you simp, if you asked me a question, after making fun of it and you, I would have answered it. The chilly waters of Lake Winnipegosis must have addled your brain. Obsessing over me hasn''t helped your obvious emotional imbalance. Pretending to live by the Caribbean Sea lacks imagination. Nobody wants to live there. Emigration stats back that up. Going to the beach gets old very quickly, which you''d know if you lived by one. You are such a chump! Ha ha ha ha :)

I think the problem with moving from Carrow Road to Broadland is that you''re moving from one dull place in the middle of nowhere to an even duller place, even more in the middle of nowhere.The only way I can think of for the club to move somewhere suitable in Norwich is for the City and County Council to help fund a move as part of a regeneration project. There may well be National or European redevelopment grants available to help make it more affordable.With the above in mind, the only realistic candidate would be Anglia Square. It''s in dire need of regeneration and there''s plenty of acreage available for a stadium and supporting infrastructure, all on reasonably flat terrain.If the club were ever looking to move then the shops, pubs and eateries etc surrounding Magdalen Street make it an ideal place for a stadium. These things are already in place, so there''d be no need to build them all from scratch (and fail like at Riverside).The Magdalen Street area is certainly a much better place for a stadium than a dead post-industrial Carrow Road at the back end of a rail station, or a business park out in the sticks.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]Lake, you accuse Tom of being close minded. You are dead set against moving to another location. That''s weird how Tom is close minded.[/quote]I didn''t say he was close minded - I said he was single minded.  There''s a difference.  Closed minds don''t consider anything different - at least he has thought about his arguments.  The fact that I disagree with them is neither closed minded or weird. 

Personally I have always thought of Woodside Rd as being part of Heartsease, in actual fact the "border" between the civil parish of Thorpe St Andrew and the area known as Heartsease (it is not a civil parish) runs right down the middle of Woodside Rd (source OS Election Maps).

Turning back to the discussion regarding a new stadium within the Broadland Business Park, it may be a good idea in a few years time once the infrastructure is in place and by that I mean road/rail/public transport, personally i will believe it when I see it (I am talking about the infrastructure).

Personally I like CR and I like where it is, and I do not really want to see us end up with an identikit stadium on a souless, identikit out of city centre business park......

I joined this forum after readin your posts Sir which are kack and no back proof or idea. Just a couple of things i want to point out

1) New station at Broadland park, ( in connection with Dussingdall )which might happen and has been on the cards for a number of years. The Extra trains will not. The Cromer line it at capacity and will not take anymore. If they did put extra trains on what whould happen with them when they get to Wroxham and the single line to North walsham? where would they be stored? ( since you have a interest in timetables i would look at the time table at Nth Walsham)

2) Postwick park and ride train station was always on the cards, however was never built. Whilst the line could Cope on the Wherrys lines than the bittern line this again wont happen.They dont have enough units to hardly run a rush our service let alone football services. The idea of extra trains is a single car sprinter which can carry about 70 people full and standing.

Nether of the above stations has happend to date beacuse the train companys have never been interested in it and worried about time put into the current services that they run now.

This new Postwick Park and ride i find of interest as i have no idea what your going on about

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/a47-postwick-interchange-norfolk-county-council-scheme/

Doesn not mention anway where on the council site about a new Park & ride just a new acess road to lighten the traffic flow on the present P & R roundabout which will be converted into a traffic light junction

Bloke79,

Land has already been cleared for the new part of the Postwick Hub park and ride scheme and the new access roads are currently being constructed to the site. The railway line runs alongside the back of the car park. It would cost less to add a station in future as car parking, toilet facilities etc. would already be in place.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Bloke79,

Land has already been cleared for the new part of the Postwick Hub park and ride scheme and the new access roads are currently being constructed to the site. The railway line runs alongside the back of the car park. It would cost less to add a station in future as car parking, toilet facilities etc. would already be in place.

[/quote]I will make it easier for you, the land you talk about being cleared is for housing at postwick all the P & R is getting is a new access roadhttp://www.postwick.co.uk/oak/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/postwick_ndr2.jpg  Please see link.They will Never put a station in at Postwick not for the amount of people your talking. At best the Park & Ride and Broadland Business park would get an 1 hour service, Not really very good is it?  for football days? the Broadland business park station would also possibly require some re- signalling.

[quote user="bloke79"][quote user="tom cavendish"]Bloke79,

[/quote]I will make it easier for you, the land you talk about being cleared is for housing at postwick all the P & R is getting is a new access roadhttp://www.postwick.co.uk/oak/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/postwick_ndr2.jpg  Please see link.[/quote]The landscaping and preparation works for the additional park-and-ride

is already under-way as is the construction of the new access to both

parts. On the image you posted it doesn''t show the 500 new parking

spaces as they have not yet been built but you can see where they are

due to go. It is in the area where you can see the text "New access to".

The Norwich Area Transportation Strategy plans indicate the possibility

of a new station by those car parks.

A few people have mentioned rail services on the Bittern line. The Norwich Area Transportation Strategy includes the possibility of longer trains, a tram-train, more frequent services and two new stations on that line (one at Rackheath the other towards the top end of Dussindale).

Tom - I am sure if you read a similar strategy for Lowestoft you will see mention of the need for a third crossing, and also read that there will be a feasibility study/consultation into the same, however a third crossing has been "talked about" for the last 40 years, so I will repeat what I said when it comes to the major infrastructure improvements needed at Broadland Business Park......I will believe it when I see it...........

I will ask again.....Mr.Cavendish do you live in Norwich or even Norfolk as your local knowledge and practical experiences of our local road and rail network seems to be from another planet ?

What a load of clap trap. you sound like you know very little about the railwaysThe Norwich area transport.... that the one which wanted to move Reedham station..... 90% in that will never happen.Longer trains where from? no units anywhere.Tram-train wont happen being trying that in the midlands for 5 years and they have got..... No wheremore frequent services perhaps you would like to to say where? as i said before the bittern line is full So if NCFC move out to Broadland, i can say no station for the foreseeable future.as for your Rackheath Station. what would you do with the three sets of barriers????

Sorry but your railway ideas are pipe dreams and nothing more trust me i know.

The Broadland Growth Triangle plan mentions some land being allocated for residential development on the Norwich Rugby Club site."Therefore adequate compensatory provision for the loss of the Norwich Rugby Club site is a necessary precursor to development. This is expected to take the form of a replacement facility for Norwich Rugby Club within the immediate surroundings of Norwich."Land for a new stadium!NC should look into what could be achieved in the long-term with the rugby club and council for their mutual benefit. It would be wise to do so asap to see if it would be possible to ring-fence a good site before it is reserved for something else. That would give NC a good long-term option to consider.