Sign in to follow this  
?

Holloway sacked!

There is no glory to be taken from this.I really quite like Holloway as a person in and around football. He can be a breath of fresh air at times when the sport seems like an old pals club - and more often than not tries to see the lighter side of things and share the odd joke etc.As a manager, he hasn''t done too badly, far better than some. And at least has had the decencey in the past, to hold his hands up and step back when he has felt a situation is beyond his ability. He''s a solid league manager, but the question will remain over his ability to manage in the premier league. Again, despite that, you have to admire how he tried to keep Blackpool up there.As for Millwall. They are a league club. They were always going to struggle in this league when you compare them to other teams.I said this at the begining of the season and at other times when people have been annoyed that we haven''t made this season a "walk in the park" - but how many teams in this league have been premier league teams in the recent past?Norwich, Wigan, Cardiff, Fulham, Wolves, Blackburn, Middlesborough, Birmingham, Bolton and Reading - most recently. Then you have the likes of Ipswich, Leeds, Derby, Watford, Blackpool, Charlton who have been there in the past as well and some of whom have historically been there or there abouts in challenging for promotion.And that''s not including Nottingham Forrest and Shef Weds who have also been there, but much longer ago now.That''s not to say traditional league teams can''t do well - look at Brentford and Bournemouth, it just all goes to show how tough this league really is.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Those who wanted him as our manager last summer have had a lucky escape.[/quote]There is a broader point here. A frequent argument, still being put forward, is that if only we had appointed an experienced manager in the summer we would have been certainties for the top two.A look at the division this season shows the following managers, all experienced, have been sacked or "resigned":McKinlay, McDermott, Robins, Magath, Freedman, Clark, Riga, Rosler, Adkins, Hyypia, Peeters, Pearce, Milanic, Solskjaer and now Holloway. While Mackay, the board''s and my first choice for us, is struggling badly at Wigan, although there may be outside factors contributing to that.The mantra that experience would have been bound to see us promoted is here as empty as most mantras, because in the pool of managers from which we and other Championship clubs get to pick that "experience" does not come with any guarantee of success, no matter how talented the players. Expernce is not bound to maximise the potential of a squad. It can just as easily guarantee you only a shot in the play-offs, mid-table boredom, or even a flirt with relegation.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Crafty Canary"]Those who wanted him as our manager last summer have had a lucky escape.[/quote]There is a broader point here. A frequent argument, still being put forward, is that if only we had appointed an experienced manager in the summer we would have been certainties for the top two.A look at the division this season shows the following managers, all experienced, have been sacked or "resigned":McKinlay, McDermott, Robins, Magath, Freedman, Clark, Riga, Rosler, Adkins, Hyypia, Peeters, Pearce, Milanic, Solskjaer and now Holloway. While Mackay, the board''s and my first choice for us, is struggling badly at Wigan, although there may be outside factors contributing to that.The mantra that experience would have been bound to see us promoted is here as empty as most mantras, because in the pool of managers from which we and other Championship clubs get to pick that "experience" does not come with any guarantee of success, no matter how talented the players. Expernce is not bound to maximise the potential of a squad. It can just as easily guarantee you only a shot in the play-offs, mid-table boredom, or even a flirt with relegation.[/quote]Quite right.Perhaps the pitchfork brigade should remember this list the next time a manager appointment at NCFC doesn''t go well.Appointing a manager of a football club, is the hardest thing for to do. It is not an exact science.I''ve given up knowing who is a good manager, and who isn''t. These days there are just too many unknown variables that are not in the public domain for the layperson to make a proper judgement.

We actually made an astute decision to appoint Adams. He did much better for us than the various managers of our fellow relegated teams, but not quite good enough to make us strong promotion canditates. Because of this we now have AN as our boss. I call that a win/win scenario.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Crafty Canary"]Those who wanted him as our manager last summer have had a lucky escape.[/quote]There is a broader point here. A frequent argument, still being put forward, is that if only we had appointed an experienced manager in the summer we would have been certainties for the top two.A look at the division this season shows the following managers, all experienced, have been sacked or "resigned":McKinlay, McDermott, Robins, Magath, Freedman, Clark, Riga, Rosler, Adkins, Hyypia, Peeters, Pearce, Milanic, Solskjaer and now Holloway. While Mackay, the board''s and my first choice for us, is struggling badly at Wigan, although there may be outside factors contributing to that.The mantra that experience would have been bound to see us promoted is here as empty as most mantras, because in the pool of managers from which we and other Championship clubs get to pick that "experience" does not come with any guarantee of success, no matter how talented the players. Expernce is not bound to maximise the potential of a squad. It can just as easily guarantee you only a shot in the play-offs, mid-table boredom, or even a flirt with relegation.[/quote]The interesting thing going through that particular list of managers is how many people had considered as options for us since midway through last season.Rosler, Magath, Hypia, Solskjaer, Hollowar, Mackay . . . . . . Mackay was not my favourite for the job back then, not with that cloud over his head. The last thing we would need is a media storm over it. We needed someone who was going to get the players focused, not who would drag a circus around with them. I''m still not sure what the longshot of it all will be.If it comes out that Mackay was getting a bit arrogant and defensive by the way the Cardiff owner was treating him over player purchases etc then it''s not going to look good at all for his future prospects. And we are best clear of baggage until it is resolved, especially considering the amount of hard, focused work this season requires - and beyond.But you are right. I think it stretches further as well. Look at how many "experienced" managers the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs have burned through in recent years.

One of the great things about the Championship is the possibility of an away fixture at Millwall. No matter where I go for a drink before the match I always bump into some Millwall fans, whether it be in the pub or on the bus or train. Despite their reputation they''re an excellent bunch who come from all corners of London, so I''ve been saddened to see their club having problems and suffering through having a fool like Holloway as manager.Kenny Jackett did an excellent job and was a hard act to follow, so hopefully they can find someone decent to get them out of League One.

Holloway should come up to Scotland I like his style and he is funny ..take a break from the overcrowded English championship ..filled with shit teams

The "broader point" Purple is that it''s a gravy train.Massive salaries that most of us could ever dream of followed by ridiculous pay=offs for inevitable failure. This is a business here which seems to talk in millions, not our own common or garden thousands.Would you take the humiliation of being labelled a failure with that much dosh in the bank?   I would.

Just because it hasn''t gone well for him this season doesn''t make him a bad manager. Very few managers have constant success at every club they go too, he wouldn''t have been a manager for so long if he was a bad one.

the game needs its Ian Holloway''s... its a bear pit at the top level of football and players (and probably some managers) have no idea how the real world works...Holloway is a good bloke and probably the closest you''ll get to the "common man" working in football. He understands the game and also the punters and brings realism and grounding in many of his interviews...He''s the one guy I''d love to see succeed away from Norwich

I know Ian Holloway from my non league days, don''t disagree he comes across as a great guy, I have always wondered how he went on to survive as a manager, always thought he relied on his humour rather than his tactical knowledge.

I see there''s nobody now still bemoaning the fact that we didn''t appoint Neil Lennon, and to think that not long ago they were saying that Bolton would finish above us.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]I have always wondered how he went on to survive as a manager, always thought he relied on his humour rather than his tactical knowledge.[/quote]Look where Hughton''s "tactical knowledge" got him - we played some of the most boring, turgid, dross I''ve ever had the misfortune to watch, and would have far more enjoyed Holloway''s "humour with attacking flair" than that garbage!

He is a character that is for sure, and in spite of his massive family issues (which he has always managed excellently) , he was always full of self belief, that has been missing both at Palace and Millwall, I don''t know if anyone noticed on Saturday, but he was hiding on the bench especially in the second half, and that is not the Holloway we all know.

He will get another football job, but don''t shoot me down, Hughton IMO was/ is a better manager ! and I wanted hiom out of our club last season.