Sign in to follow this  
joe

grabban or jerome connundrum

What do you all make of Neils decision to drop Jerome arguably our best most consistent striker, grabban is a good championship striker but there is no chance he has the pedegree or goals to chance ratio to step up to the premier league. I personally feel the Jerome hooper partnership was working well so why change it ? Jerome is just as capable of the high pressing leading the line game I feel

Agree, Cam Jam has not been dropped, he is not fully fit, slight hamstring and with games coming thick and fast now AN is protecting him, I''m glad we have Grabban as a very able deputy, looks like good player management to me.

Yep no conundrum

Jerome is a leading striker, GRABBAN has a someone Jackson about him. Good enough as an average champ forward but not as an elite champ forward.

He is a great third choice and capable of leading our front line.

With two critical must wins this week it is good jerome got a little run out. Be interesting to see if GRABBAN scores at charlton, if not the wolves game may be set for jerome after a cameo at the valley.

Either way we need 6 points in our next two games. Three strikers doing their part, just two more polished and clinical.

I''ll reserve judgement on who Neil favours over the next few weeks.....I have a horrible suspicion that he may even favour Grabban over Jerome even when he''s fully fit because of the system he wants to adopt.

but to me theres no condundrum....a striker whos scored 13/14 goals this season or one who couldnt hit a barn door.

It didnt matter yesterday as we won the game comfortably but missing chances like putting the ball over the bar from 5 yards out ,on another day could have been costly.

one of the reasons why we fell from 1st to 11th in the space of 6 weeks earlier this season was Grabbans continuous selection and his missing chances at crucial points in games when they were in the balance at 0-0,1-0 or 0-1.

It should be as simple as if a player is injured the player under them gets a chance. It fosters good competition for places and increases standards.

Grabban did a lot of stuff right yesterday and is a good lone front man

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I''ll reserve judgement on who Neil favours over the next few weeks.....I have a horrible suspicion that he may even favour Grabban over Jerome even when he''s fully fit because of the system he wants to adopt.

but to me theres no condundrum....a striker whos scored 13/14 goals this season or one who couldnt hit a barn door.

It didnt matter yesterday as we won the game comfortably but missing chances like putting the ball over the bar from 5 yards out ,on another day could have been costly.

one of the reasons why we fell from 1st to 11th in the space of 6 weeks earlier this season was Grabbans continuous selection and his missing chances at crucial points in games when they were in the balance at 0-0,1-0 or 0-1.[/quote]

What Grabban proved yesterday was that he has the ability to be effective - and will as a result create more space for people like Hooper to exploit.  Jerome has missed plenty of clear cut chances - including games like  0-1 (eg Charlton), so Grabban is not the only one who misses chances.  And surely a player who scored 8 goals for is this season cannot be classified as "not being able to hit a barn door" .

Yes, Jerome has scored more, but if Grabban can return to form - as yesterday would seem to indicate he has - then we should be pleased to see him in the team.   There is a strong argument that says Grabban suffered in the system Adams adopted while playing Grabban and Jerome together - which didn''t work, but was persisted with for those weeks when we couldn''t get results.  Yesterday would suggest that AN will get him back firing on all cylinders - and then with the confidence of that,  his early season goal scoring will surely return.

Grabban was poor yesterday!.....the best thing he did was getting fouled to win the penalty.

As I said ,it didnt matter yesterday as Blackpool were so poor.....we can''t afford erratic strikers in the coming weeks vs the likes of wolves,watford,blackburn and ipswich.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Grabban was poor yesterday!.....the best thing he did was getting fouled to win the penalty.

As I said ,it didnt matter yesterday as Blackpool were so poor.....we can''t afford erratic strikers in the coming weeks vs the likes of wolves,watford,blackburn and ipswich.[/quote]

Curious.  All the reports and highlights suggest he had a good game?? 

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Grabban was poor yesterday!.....the best thing he did was getting fouled to win the penalty.

As I said ,it didnt matter yesterday as Blackpool were so poor.....we can''t afford erratic strikers in the coming weeks vs the likes of wolves,watford,blackburn and ipswich.[/quote]No, he wasn''t.

Almost everyone who has posted on this thread clearly did not go to Carrow Road yesterday, if they did they must have faced the wrong way & had there back to the pitch all afternoon

Grabbam played because AN clearly insists that players do not stand in an offside position for half the game

Jerone had been doing this more & more in recent games and with AN''s get the ball forward quickly approach play would constantly break down if Jerone adopted the same style of play he displayed against Brentford.

Yes I know he could not hit a cows @rse with a banjo and it was not until the 56th min that he had a shot on target but:-

He did hit the crossbar

He did win the penalty

He did set up at least one of the goals

He did not stop running all afternoon - his movement was impressive and made space for Hopper

He constantly sprinted back to get onside

Final point - yesterday we did not need a target man.for hoofs from the back:-

AN does not allow hoofing - , Ruddy did one hoof in the first half, AN went crazy at him & he never did it again - impressive

I cant really remember any aimless hoofs ( you must all remember those 70 yard hoofs Ruddy used to do to Lafferty and he would be out jumped by a 5ft 6ins RB midget - that did not happen)

Were we ever caught offside ?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="morty"]And GJL, why do you feel the need to try and find an excuse for yesterday? [/quote]

excuse?[/quote]Grabban was not poor yesterday, why try and clutch at negatives?Maybe just be happy your team won?

he was poor yesterday......I''m not "clutching", the stats are there with his goal record since around October, easy to be wasteful in front of goal vs a League One standard team such as the cobbled together side as Blackpool are forced into being.

My concern ,which is justified ,is that same lack of finishing ability "will" cost us crucial points in some huge games coming up over the next few weeks.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]scoring goals > staying onside[/quote]

Grabban is a handful in different ways to Jerome, who is stronger and more direct.   Grabban offers more movement and pace - and goals, lets not forget (7) - and is just as effective in his own way and offers something different to Jerome.   Both as important as each other imo.  AN has proved he will put in players only if they bring their best game to the table, so it bodes well if all the players have to up their game.

Grabban may have secured his place for the next match, but Jerome would hopefully in that case be chomping at the bit to get on and try and get back in the team.  Real competition for places is healthy for the club, with every player having to be at their best to stay in the team. Grabban has put himself well in the picture in that respect.  Good for him and good for the team. 

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]he was poor yesterday......I''m not "clutching", the stats are there with his goal record since around October, easy to be wasteful in front of goal vs a League One standard team such as the cobbled together side as Blackpool are forced into being.

My concern ,which is justified ,is that same lack of finishing ability "will" cost us crucial points in some huge games coming up over the next few weeks.[/quote]I don''t think we went to the same game.

morty wrote the following post at 08/02/2015 10:22 AM:

GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary wrote:

morty wrote:

And GJL, why do you feel the need to try and find an excuse for yesterday?

excuse?

Grabban was not poor yesterday, why try and clutch at negatives?

Maybe just be happy your team won?

Morty don''t bother with him - could not of gone to Carrow Road - just an archair critic who listened to the radio

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]hardly.....and from where I''m situated ,I got a very good view of the ball blazed over the bar from 4 yards out[/quote]And thats what you judge his game on?"He dunt score no ghouls"

The narrow system suited Grabban yesterday. When we got the ball , we played higher, Howson pushed on leaving BJ in front of the CB''s. Hooper Grabban Wes all overloaded the final third, balls were quicker and played forward. Playing the ball across the back a la Houghton and Adams didn''t happen. As we narrowed the front and midfield players so it provided acres of space for the full backs to run into - a bit like the now famous diamond that allowed the full backs to do the same. Of course as the goals went in , and fatigue set in , we sat the full backs a bit, but you would expect that. Yes Blackpool were poor, but so have a lot of teams been that have been to CR, but we have failed to break them down by playing in front and down the side. I''d wager playing like we did yesterday we would have beaten the likes of Brighton and Leeds. I thought Grabban played well in the system. Quick feet and quicker over a yard than Jerrome. The revelation (not) was that if you stick Hooper in this position and feed him chances, he scores. Quite why it seems to have taken the various coaching staff to see that I''m not sure. He isn''t a great passer, but comes alive in the 25 yard area when central. I thought his finishing was brilliant yesterday - made it look so easy. Afraid I don''t buy the "hamstring" routine. I think what you saw was a decent piece of man management of Jerrome to try and get all of his strikers on the pitch and relatively happy. Testing your hamstring isn''t done in a match environment these days. It would be tested at Colney. If there was any problem with it I cant see them risking him in a game for 15 mins when the result is decided. Best afternoon at Carrow Road for ages. Far too easy to blame Blackpool being poor. We played with a tempo and shape that I think would have stood up to most in this league. 

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]The narrow system suited Grabban yesterday. When we got the ball , we played higher, Howson pushed on leaving BJ in front of the CB''s. Hooper Grabban Wes all overloaded the final third, balls were quicker and played forward. Playing the ball across the back a la Houghton and Adams didn''t happen. As we narrowed the front and midfield players so it provided acres of space for the full backs to run into - a bit like the now famous diamond that allowed the full backs to do the same. Of course as the goals went in , and fatigue set in , we sat the full backs a bit, but you would expect that. Yes Blackpool were poor, but so have a lot of teams been that have been to CR, but we have failed to break them down by playing in front and down the side. I''d wager playing like we did yesterday we would have beaten the likes of Brighton and Leeds. I thought Grabban played well in the system. Quick feet and quicker over a yard than Jerrome. The revelation (not) was that if you stick Hooper in this position and feed him chances, he scores. Quite why it seems to have taken the various coaching staff to see that I''m not sure. He isn''t a great passer, but comes alive in the 25 yard area when central. I thought his finishing was brilliant yesterday - made it look so easy. Afraid I don''t buy the "hamstring" routine. I think what you saw was a decent piece of man management of Jerrome to try and get all of his strikers on the pitch and relatively happy. Testing your hamstring isn''t done in a match environment these days. It would be tested at Colney. If there was any problem with it I cant see them risking him in a game for 15 mins when the result is decided. Best afternoon at Carrow Road for ages. Far too easy to blame Blackpool being poor. We played with a tempo and shape that I think would have stood up to most in this league.  [/quote]

Thanks for that analysis.  It''s exactly what I''ve been wanting to hear.   Johnson doing a genuine defensive midfield job, plenty of movement up front and space for full backs to move into, your best striker in where he needs to be.

And thats what you judge his game on?

"He dunt score no ghouls"

I''ll judge him on a goal/chance ratio......and critically his ability to score at crucial moments in games...which as I mentioned earlier, he has shown his failings earlier in the season during our slump from 1st to 11th when our previous manager picked him ahead of Hooper for at least a month too long.

reckon I''ve been watching this game long enough to recognise and good striker.....and I dont think he is one....apologies if that offends you.