Sign in to follow this  
Dexx

Helveg ..

Just a little post to praise Helveg too the guys playing well now hes settled in , some good balls in last night was his pass that got deno the winner.

[quote]Helveg actually set up both goals.[/quote]

While he did pass to Safri I dont think there was really much of an assist with that one!  The cross for Deano was super though, spotted the man out wide and put it in the danger zone allowing Deano to attack it perfectly.

OTBC 

As I''ve been very anti Helveg on here in the the past I thought I''d add my tuppence worth,thought he had a cracking game,positional play superb and over the last couple of games has discovered the knack of passing to players in yellow ,keep it up!! 

He did too set up both goals, though "set up" for his short pass to Safri for his 45-yard exocet is a bit misleading.

I would love to see Helveg really gel in this team, but I have to say he made quite a few unforced errors in defence - taking too much time, and misplacing passes - which a player of his experience shouldn''t do. I know it''s sometimes difficult to find a pass if other players aren''t making themselves available, but he needs to play simple if that''s the case and hoof it out. Instead, he tended to give away possession in dangerous areas. To me, he looks more and more like a midfielder. If Huckerby''s still off-colour on Saturday, I''d move Bentley to the left, bring Eddy back and move Helveg to right midfield. If Hucks is OK, leave it as is. Or even drop Francis and put Helveg there, because Francis needs something to get his attention.

[quote]He did too set up both goals, though "set up" for his short pass to Safri for his 45-yard exocet is a bit misleading. I would love to see Helveg really gel in this team, but I have to say he made qui...[/quote]

I don''t think that sort of change around would be good for a team who have just taken 7 points from a possible 9.

I''d stick Jonson on the left if Hucks is still under the weather, because he didn''t do too badly when he came on against the Geordies.

If we continue to play patient football, like we did last night, against Charlton, then we''ve got every chance of picking up the 3 points.

Do you think he will stay ?  whatever happens to us

I have always been a top fan of his, he was excellent last niggh again

I agree with the Francis statement, he has really dropped off the radar since Ashton started playing well.   Or is it that he was never that great anyway, just great within an average side.  Now Helveg, Leon and Ashton are playing he looks more ordinary.   Actually I think its because we have strikers that are actually doing their job now, so Damo doesn''t have to be making runs into the box every time we attack.

I think Helveg should stay right where he is though, 7 points out of 3 games.  All we need to change is Flemming and I still think Doc and Charlton can do a better job alongside Shacks who apart from inexperience at times has made a big impact.

I hate saying I told you so, but I''m going to anyway.  I said Helveg and Shacks should be in our defence months and months ago when others wrote off Helveg after two games in the Premiership.   I don''t believe either of them have yet settled in to the Premiership play, but look better with every game.    Have we ever seen Eddy deliver a ball like that from that position before?  Quality.   I really hope he stays with us for another season whether we are Prem or not.  

Changing subject slightly, someone else raised the bonding of Bentley and Ashton after the Palace game, so I was looking out for it this time.   Bentley was straight over to Ashton after the whistle and looked so pleased for Deano, real bond between the two of them and I hope that is a good sign for the future and they both stick around.  With the likes of Huckerby, Greeno, Francis, Helveg, Shackell and Ashton as our future we have got no problems in the champ or Prem.

He''s certainly looking the business now and justified the claims that he''s the best passer at the club.

[quote]I agree with the Francis statement, he has really dropped off the radar since Ashton started playing well. Or is it that he was never that great anyway, just great within an average side. Now Helve...[/quote]

I have no doubt that Charlton should be in the side, but the Doc... perleeaaase! No pace, poor positioning, can''t mark, can''t pass, can''t clear, can barely stand on his own two feet... I''d rank Flem above him in the pecking order any day of the week!

helveg superb last night i was one of the doubters i said sell him to ipswich. ime eating humble pie now but enjoying it after that team performance last night. brilliant lads now for the addicks

helveg seems to hav hit a bit of form at the latter end of the season. don''t mean to b cynical but is the fact that its the end of the season anything to do with his form? meaning self advertising for a contract just in case we go down. Don''t get me wrong, not bothered if he is, just my suspicious mind workin overtime!

bailojnr, no, the fact he''s playing well now is probably more to do with hardly playing previous games. He had a decent run in the middle for a few games but beyond that he wasn''t given a chance- which makes it a bit hard to adapt!

bailojnr - just to add to what MPR said.    Helveg started our first two games and played okay.  Got done by Giggs big time but what right back doesn''t?   He was promptly dropped and replaced with Eddy for a massive run of games.   Eddy played no better than Helveg in any of those games, but kept his place as he is an obvious Worthy favourite.

Helveg then managed to find a place in the team in Midfield, after stories about him going back home if he doesn''t play and not getting in his national side.  Even his National Manager complained about it.   He had about 4 decent games in Midfield (not his preferred position) and then got injured and has been out ever since.   It is only a few games back that he got his chance again in his proper position and after a run of 3 games is looking good.   Therefore your assumption is complete cack my friend, sorry.

Like Stevenage I was in the bring in Helveg and Shacks camp and it does feel nice to have at least one opinion justified eventually - alhough it seems I cant express a similar view about Safris superiority over Holt...

Helveg has oozed class since the opening game of the season but just needed half a dozen games to get up to speed - he wasnt given them and city have suffered as a result.

Hopefully it wont be a costly error by the management team as the light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger...

OTBC    

Im really starting to like what i see of Helveg he is starting to show to us all why he is Denmark captain and why he has been with such good clubs.

Its just a shame he has hit form towards the end of the season.

hes been brilliant the last couple of games.

And he also crossed the ball into ashton to get the win!

Damo - I''ll just reiterate the points made by Zip, MPR et al.

He would have had difficulty to hitting form in his first "run" of ... ooooh ... two games, and then two months later in his new position of central midfield for four games.

As the long-term footy fans on here know, Helveg has been class since 1992 and we''re lucky to have him. This is his third game on the bounce, and it should have been his thirty-third. What''s the point of having talent and experience like that if you sit him on the bench?

Ok - his style is more laidback than Marc "Frantic" Edworthy, but looks can be deceptive.

If you don''t see him chasing around, there''s probably nothing to chase.

FLEM.

Also don''t forget that he his now playing in his favoured position of right back. When paople were getting on his back he was playing centre mid. Now he has regained his postion from Eddy, he is showing us what he can do. I don''t wish to blow my own trumpet here but i have always thought he was top class, although my mates were adamant that he was a waste of time and money. He is now showing his true colours and will hopefully keep us up.... That will keep my mates quite for a bit!!!

Staying up up up!!!!

Peter, i wouldnt say Helveg is the best passer at the club i would say he is a good passer of the ball but not the best. He definetely is up there though.

For best passer at the club Safri wins it everytime for me.