Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

act now McNally!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="TIL 1010"]Moyes was never ever going to succeed at Utd after the Ferguson years but remember who hand picked him for the job. This is not the first time this situation has arisen at Old Trafford as those of us old enough to remember the Busby reign and the success he brought just like Ferguson to the Mancs will remember the likes of Wilf McGuinness, Frank O''Farrell, Dave Sexton, Tommy Doherty and even Ron Atkinson had only limited success and lived in the shadow of Busby.[/quote]And Manchester United a club at the very top of the tree, able then and now to pick from the very best managerial talent. Yet failure after failure in the wake of Busby''s departure and now another mistaken choice. Worth bearing in mind when it comes to assessing the choices made by clubs such as ourselves, who get to pick not from the first tier of management, or even the second, but the third.[/quote]

It doesn''t take a genius to see why it happens.  A team does well - then loses its manager.  The players compare the new one to the previous one - and may not take to him. New players then come in to an atmosphere where things aren''t positive as a result of the old players'' uncertainty about the new manager and it is a recipe for trouble.   Moyes had the hardest job possible - and probably the next manager and the next one.....  As you say it reflects on us too in the managers we get to choose from - after Walker we had difficulty, after Worthy we had difficulty, after Lambert.......and so on.  Breaking that cycle is hard to do.  In the 70''s and 80''s we did it like Liverpool - through continuity through the club. Hopefully Adams can be the start of a new era of continuity.  It is the best  way to look at it imo.  Lambert should have been that man and then an understudy within the club brought forward.  Hughton was then to be the long term manager to establish a regime.  Now that has failed.   It is harder to get the continuity going now than ever - with the odd exception, but for a club like ours it is the ideal way forwards.   Hopefully, Adams can be that catalyst and we can build from within. 

It''s an old fashioned idea but why not. The Liverpool dynasty didn''t do too bad, Developing your next manager through the existing management structure give you continuity and hopefully a buy in to a style of football you want to play.

The Norwich dynasty of Bond, Brown, Stringer, Walker didn''t do too bad either!

But, like Liverpool, it was different times I guess..

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Except, nutty, that Chase wanted Phil Neal to become manager when Stringer stepped down, and we only got Walker and a continuing dynasty because, according to rumour, there was a boardroom revolt against Chase''s choice.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Except, nutty, that Chase wanted Phil Neal to become manager when Stringer stepped down, and we only got Walker and a continuing dynasty because, according to rumour, there was a boardroom revolt against Chase''s choice.[/quote]

Shhhhhh[;)]

Of course that happened. As I remember Phil Neal had virtually got the gig. Wasn''t a popular choice, he''d just been sacked by Bolton where he was considered to be dour! I think he was then sent to Coventry[;)] Chase finally appointed Walker and whilst this was probably popular inside the club I remember the fans in outcry over "cheap option".

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Except, nutty, that Chase wanted Phil Neal to become manager when Stringer stepped down, and we only got Walker and a continuing dynasty because, according to rumour, there was a boardroom revolt against Chase''s choice.[/quote]

Shhhhhh[;)]

Of course that happened. As I remember Phil Neal had virtually got the gig. Wasn''t a popular choice, he''d just been sacked by Bolton where he was considered to be dour! I think he was then sent to Coventry[;)] Chase finally appointed Walker and whilst this was probably popular inside the club I remember the fans in outcry over "cheap option".

[/quote]I am still not convinced, nutty. Too easy to blame Chase. He, like all the others, was just the figurehead. According to people really in the know the club was actually founded by Alan Bowkett and he has made all the major decision since then, including choosing every nominal owner, and appointing every manager (from John Bowman onwards to Neil Adams), every chairman and every chief executive...

I see a problem for big clubs appointing a new manager and the same players remaining. Obviously some of the senior players at the bigger clubs have egos to match their mansions and to a certain extent "mafias" emerge and if the manager upsets one or any then its closed ranks and the manager suffers.

And if you were not at least an international player, some of the mafia treat the managers own playing record with disdain and therefore don''t rate them at all.

This should not happen at NCFC. We do not have top international players with massive egos. Holt had the ego but not the CV. The last time it happened at City was in reverse when Roeder got rid of Huckerby.

But the amount of "top" managers out of work means that there are some that would entertain NCFC.

And why couldn''t we afford Moyes? To get what most would perceive as a good manager may cost a bit more but look what the Hughton regime may have cost in lost revenue and compensation.

Football may well be one of the few industries where the manager is paid less than his staff. So offer the man identified a contract better than the players and you might just crack it.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Adams has done a good job the last 2 games but our next manager has just left Old Trafford.

Get him in for Saturday and he will want to ram it down uniteds throat....

Moyes in![/quote]No thanks, but belated congratulations on 20K posts - knew you''d do it what with all the ups and downs of following city haha