Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

now that we are playing more attacking football....

what do the fans want?

Evidence is our last 7 games, where in total we have had 93 shots (www.bbc.co.uk/football - and a few minutes of adding up) if my maths is correct this is an average of 13 shots per game (or there abouts).

so, the fans wanted attacking football and the figures above would attest that we are now starting to see that.

Villa over the same period have managed just 80 shots, Despite Paul Lamberts "gung-ho" attacking approach, Media Darlings Swansea chipped in with 85 shots.

So we are playing attacking football now, figures would show we are creating more chances then more perceived "attacking" managers in the league. this "dull approach" that fans speak of under hughton doesn''t seem in evident based on the facts above.

Those stats dont prove that we are playing attacking football, It just proves that weare shooting more. You could take 100 shots a game from the half way line, doesnt mean you are more of an attacking force.

But ''facts'' also make Howson look poor.

And nearly every single NCFC fan i''ve heard/read/seen/etc has said he''s out POTS so far....

Never really been a big believer in this "shots", "% posession" etc stuff. As far as I am concerned the only stats that matter are the goals for, goals against, and points ones. And just because we have had more shots does not prove we are playing more attacking football.?  To be fair, I''ve missed both the Fulham games and the ManU one, and, it does seem that we have in spasms looked a bit more positive, according to what I''ve read. But sadly that has not been translated into better results, has it ? On the assumption (not unreasonable !) that we do not win at Everton, by the time the Hull game comes round, it''ll be best part of six weeks since we won a game. Not really indicative of a team that has thrown off the shackles and are going all out for wins .......

Whilst solving big world issues, he could feed the whole of Africa whilst smashing it into the top corner from 70 yards!!

How often this season have we really cut a side open to create a clear cut chance for one of the strikers? I can''t remember many one-on-ones, or the such like, we''ve had this season.

Wouldn''t class the first as clear cut. He had a lot to do and did well to get a decent shot off through the defender and work the keeper.

Header in the second half was a good chance, and was met with a very good save. But they are few and far between.

Not a surprise either that a good chance was created by a left footed player putting in a cross from the left wing. Personally think we would create more by playing wingers on the correct side as opposed to the "cutting-in" style we seem to generally prefer.

[quote user="Yella Foreva"]Those stats dont prove that we are playing attacking football, It just proves that weare shooting more. You could take 100 shots a game from the half way line, doesnt mean you are more of an attacking force.[/quote]But we''re not making shots from the half-way line, are we?I must say, I''m tired of some of the same old cliches coming out by the people wanting Hughton out. I have seen an improvement on the pitch the last few weeks, but still the same people dredge out the same ''negative'' cliches. It''s as if people just want to moan without the hassle of having to watch a game of football.I for one am enjoying some of the football being played at the moment. We''re just lacking that little bit of extra quality we need up top and from the wings to reflect it on the scoreboard.I''m wouldn''t say I''m 100% behind Hughton. I do find some of his decisions baffling (Elmander on the wing??). But it would be good if people could form decent arguments rather then regurgitate the age old one-liners.

[quote user="Mycroft Holmes"]How often this season have we really cut a side open to create a clear cut chance for one of the strikers? I can''t remember many one-on-ones, or the such like, we''ve had this season.[/quote]Even if this is true, is that the fault of the manager? I''d argue that the issue is the quality on display from the midfield and wings rather than a ''defensive manager''.We need some our injured back / bedded in, and we need to improve the quality of our midfield.

I didnt say anywhere that we had been shooting from the halfway line, i was using it as an example. Didnt think it was that hard to understand .....

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]I must say, I''m tired of some of the same old cliches coming out by the people wanting Hughton out. I have seen an improvement on the pitch the last few weeks, but still the same people dredge out the same ''negative'' cliches. It''s as if people just want to moan without the hassle of having to watch a game of football.I for one am enjoying some of the football being played at the moment. We''re just lacking that little bit of extra quality we need up top and from the wings to reflect it on the scoreboard.I''m wouldn''t say I''m 100% behind Hughton. I do find some of his decisions baffling (Elmander on the wing??). But it would be good if people could form decent arguments rather then regurgitate the age old one-liners.[/quote]

^^^ This.There are too many with entrenched positions who are stuck in a mindset.  Loosen up guys, things do develop and change as time goes on. 

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Mycroft Holmes"]How often this season have we really cut a side open to create a clear cut chance for one of the strikers? I can''t remember many one-on-ones, or the such like, we''ve had this season.[/quote]Even if this is true, is that the fault of the manager? I''d argue that the issue is the quality on display from the midfield and wings rather than a ''defensive manager''.We need some our injured back / bedded in, and we need to improve the quality of our midfield.[/quote]

I would certainly say that this could largely be attributed to tactics, yes.

Anyone who has spoken to Grant Holt, or any of the other players who have left recently will know that they felt this was a direct result of the tactics. Players being asked to sit deeper, and defend more compactly is not conducive to open free-flowing attacking play.

Ultimately it is about finding a balance. I''m sure all strikers would love the team to play open football, as it makes them look better. Similarly defenders you would assume prefer the midfielders to be doing more defending, as the team concedes less and they look better.

In my personal opinion, the current balance is more geared to the defensive side, and as such the only "chances" we''re creating are from distance and difficult for the strikers.

I''m sure others see things differently, but it is a game of opinions and that is mine.

[quote user="lake district canary"]There are too many with entrenched positions who are stuck in a mindset.  Loosen up guys, things do develop and change as time goes on.[/quote]Ever considered actually listening to your own advice LDC?

The Ghost Of Michael TheoklitosI would say that it is the fault of the manager. He has been a at the club a year and a half now so the squad that he is now choosing to put out every week is his choice. If that squad lacks a creative midfielder or a winger that can perform consistently then it is up to the manager to spot and change this.  He believes in the players that he is putting out and although the players share some of the responsibility by no way is Hughton blameless. You clearly state we need to improve the quality of our midfield.....who''s responsibilty is it to improve this area?

[quote user="Yella Foreva"]I didnt say anywhere that we had been shooting from the halfway line, i was using it as an example.
Didnt think it was that hard to understand .....
[/quote]

It wasn''t. You were being deliberately facetious to emphasise the potential for statistics to be skewed, however, as we don''t shoot from the halfway line (Johnson might...) people were merely indicating it was a rubbish example.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]There are too many with entrenched positions who are stuck in a mindset.  Loosen up guys, things do develop and change as time goes on.[/quote]Ever considered actually listening to your own advice LDC?[/quote]

Yes and if people followed what I say accurately rather than just assume I am just some ''percy positive'', they will see that quite often I will see the argument from both sides and will try to make a balanced view.   It just so happens that when you are arguing with people who have fixed and unbending positions, whatever you say against them is touted as being totally wrong/uber positive and all the other cliches.  

[quote user="Yella Foreva"]The Ghost Of Michael TheoklitosI would say that it is the fault of the manager. He has been a at the club a year and a half now so the squad that he is now choosing to put out every week is his choice. If that squad lacks a creative midfielder or a winger that can perform consistently then it is up to the manager to spot and change this.  He believes in the players that he is putting out and although the players share some of the responsibility by no way is Hughton blameless. You clearly state we need to improve the quality of our midfield.....who''s responsibilty is it to improve this area?[/quote]True. The management team is in charge or recruitment. 100% correct.But one thing they have no control over is injuries at the pointy end of the pitch. So far this half a season, the following have had spells out for an extended period.RVWHooperE BennettSnodgrassPilkingtonHowsonThat''s basically all our first choice strikers and wingers.The fact that we have Redmond playing so many minutes, and Murphy anywhere near the first team illustrates this point. These guys are young, and while they''re learning, they''ll sometimes going to lack the quality required to break down Premier League defenses.Recruitment is one side of it, but unfortunately, we don''t have the squad depth of Man City to cope with such a long term quality deficiency.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]There are too many with entrenched positions who are stuck in a mindset.  Loosen up guys, things do develop and change as time goes on.[/quote]
Ever considered actually listening to your own advice LDC?
[/quote]

Yes and if people followed what I say accurately rather than just assume I am just some ''percy positive'', they will see that quite often I will see the argument from both sides and will try to make a balanced view.   It just so happens that when you are arguing with people who have fixed and unbending positions, whatever you say against them is touted as being totally wrong/uber positive and all the other cliches.  

[/quote]

Do you ever read what you are about to post before hitting the button ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]There are too many with entrenched positions who are stuck in a mindset.  Loosen up guys, things do develop and change as time goes on.[/quote]Ever considered actually listening to your own advice LDC?[/quote]Yes and if people followed what I say accurately rather than just assume I am just some ''percy positive'', they will see that quite often I will see the argument from both sides and will try to make a balanced view.   It just so happens that when you are arguing with people who have fixed and unbending positions, whatever you say against them is touted as being totally wrong/uber positive and all the other cliches.   [/quote]

[/quote]Yes, thank you.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]There are too many with entrenched positions who are stuck in a mindset.  Loosen up guys, things do develop and change as time goes on.[/quote]
Ever considered actually listening to your own advice LDC?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hahaha most definitely this^^^

Sorry LDC but you are the one who has fixed and unbending positions. Uber positive best describes your posts too!

[quote user="lharman7"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]There are too many with entrenched positions who are stuck in a mindset.  Loosen up guys, things do develop and change as time goes on.[/quote]Ever considered actually listening to your own advice LDC?[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry LDC but you are the one who has fixed and unbending positions. Uber positive best describes your posts too![/quote]Whatever you want to think, but I am always saying "the truth is somewhere in the middle".  If that is being uber positive, then so be it.  Often the entrenched positions of the Hootunouters is so far off the scale that anything anyone says to the contrary is deemed as too positive.  That is their problem, not mine.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lharman7"][quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]There are too many with entrenched positions who are stuck in a mindset.  Loosen up guys, things do develop and change as time goes on.[/quote]Ever considered actually listening to your own advice LDC?[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry LDC but you are the one who has fixed and unbending positions. Uber positive best describes your posts too![/quote]Whatever you want to think, but I am always saying "the truth is somewhere in the middle".  If that is being uber positive, then so be it.  Often the entrenched positions of the Hootunouters is so far off the scale that anything anyone says to the contrary is deemed as too positive.  That is their problem, not mine.

[/quote]

And vice versa, ''the truth is somewhere in the middle!''. You maybe just right after all!

[quote user="Yella Foreva"]Warren HillI wasnt being facetious at all. I was marely pointing out how statistics can be mislleding. Was i incorrect in what i wrote?[/quote]

1) We have had x more shots in recent games.

2) Yeah but a shot from the halfway line is still a shot

3) Have we had any shots from the halfway line?

4) No

Do you see how while your point about a shot from the halfway line being a shot is true, the fact that we don''t shoot from there makes it redundant?

Sorry Warren. OK we could shoot alot more from 30 yards (which we are ), doesnt mean we are attacking more.1) I think you got out of the wrong side of the bed.2) I think you are being ridiculously pedantic.