Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

11th Position Myth

I meant to say away performance, Hull, it was stirring stuff.

Complete tactical master class against ten men, just what we needed.

Villa, you thought hat was acceptable did you?

Villa? On more days than not, our performance would have merited a win. We didn''t though. Bad luck or bad Coaching?

Stoke away? That was a tactical masterclass

I have to agree with the OP, although I would say flattering rather than a myth.

7-0 was a complete embarrassment. I didn''t watch much of the game (thankfully), but of what I did see, the players looked like they''ve had the life sucked out of them. Either that, or they couldn''t be bothered.

Talksport didn''t miss a chance to slag us off yesterday. You can''t them them on this occasion, I suppose.

If we find ourselves flapping around come April/May, we stand little or no chance of any points from our last 4 games.

I''m guessing now, Hughton & Co are in charge in Saturday.. What are they going to do differently that they haven''t done already? We are a Premiership side. It''s our third season at this level. We''ve spent around £25m on the squad and nothing has really changed. Yes, we''ve had the odd game where we''ve played well, but got nothing, but its not good enough, however you dress it up.

Bury Green wrote the following :

"We were one of the favourites to go down at the start of the season despite having a player budget to go with the £25m we spent on new players and, if you press some buttons on your ''pooter'', remain the third favourite for the drop. This unless you are absolutely blind to the reality of our situation acts as a bit of a barometer for where our chances might lay in the coming months but not exclusively so. "

The bookies never have us in a favourable light, our first season up we were favourites to go down and the previous season we were not favourably tipped to get promotion.

After Saturday I am worried because it was our first genuinely poor performance since Spurs away - up till then we''d been playing pretty well but not getting the results

This thread has reassured me cos so many anti-Hughton arguments have been aired and demolished. So I continue to feel he has the rest of the month. Then re-evaluate where we are. It would be wise for the board to evaluate possible replacements from abroad. But if results improve and we''re above the drop zone in early December I expect them to keep Hughton.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Villa? On more days than not, our performance would have merited a win. We didn''t though. Bad luck or bad Coaching?

Stoke away? That was a tactical masterclass[/quote]

Hardly a tactical masterclass. we played the midfield that most fans could have told you several weeks/months beforehand was our best midfield line up and we got in their faces and didn''t sit off them and let them have the ball. None of this is tactical wizardry.

[quote user="Bury Green"]

Only the ones that are required to make you less of an odious forum

popinjay

None of this will change your status as self appointed forum demagogue

I''m sure, you can''t afford to admit the realities of our current situation

are dire and getting worse by the week can you.[/quote]

See this is the problem we may get on Saturday and the reason why part of me would like to see Hughton gone before then. Because behaving in that way in the stadium towards people who have a different view will almost certainly escalate to something serious. If you''re lucky it will be someone like me who can see the funny side of your demented rants and is laughing at you. If you''re unlucky...... well, you know!

But finally we get to something sensible. Our current situation is not good. The manager knows it, the players know it, the fans know it and the board know it. If the current situation carries on in the same way then something will have to be done to try rectify it and the most likely thing will be a change of manager.

However last season we finished 11th. 6 points more and we''d have finished 8th. 6 points less and we''d have finished 17th. That was the reality of the league and wherever we had finished, from 8th to 17th, Hughton would have succeeded in his brief. We also got to the quarter finals of the League Cup. Highlighting the fact Luton beat us in the FA Cup doesn''t mask the fact that Hughton had a better season in the cups as a whole than we had been used to.

By picking and choosing which games should count to devalue our league position last season probably takes the spotlight off Hughton''s record this season. So I just don''t get why folk do it.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="crabbycanary"]Villa? On more days than not, our performance would have merited a win. We didn''t though. Bad luck or bad Coaching?

Hardly a tactical masterclass. we played the midfield that most fans could have told you several weeks/months beforehand was our best midfield line up and we got in their faces and didn''t sit off them and let them have the ball. None of this is tactical wizardry.[/quote]

Brilliant! We''ve already got 3 points to deduct from Hughton''s total for this season because the players took on the fans tactics! If we can just find a way to discount the Everton and Southampton results then Hughton will have no points at all.

To think I did a spoof thread about this the other day....

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

So now we should sack Hughton because he''s a former Newcastle manager like Roeder! LOL

I think there''s mileage in this though....

How about we sack him cuz his name begins with H like Hitler?

[/quote]

Nigel you really arent that stupid are you? Or are you just being arumentative for the sake of it, as that is te norm for this board and many posters.

The point is there are alarming similarities with Roeders reign. The ten game unbeaten run good start, followed by a slippery slope. The loss of form and confidence of key players.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="crabbycanary"]Villa? On more days than not, our performance would have merited a win. We didn''t though. Bad luck or bad Coaching?

Hardly a tactical masterclass. we played the midfield that most fans could have told you several weeks/months beforehand was our best midfield line up and we got in their faces and didn''t sit off them and let them have the ball. None of this is tactical wizardry.[/quote]

Brilliant! We''ve already got 3 points to deduct from Hughton''s total for this season because the players took on the fans tactics! If we can just find a way to discount the Everton and Southampton results then Hughton will have no points at all.

[/quote]

Who is discounting anything? Not saying the points don''t count but the claim was made that our display at Stoke was some sort of "tactical masterclass." I beg to differ. Hughton got it right that day but what he did was hardly rocket science or tactical wizardry and indeed nothing more than he should have done at Hull and Spurs in the previous away games. Creduit for getting it right but we are a premier league club paying our manager a lot of money and I think we have the right to expect our manager to get it right more often than not.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Who is discounting anything? Not saying the points don''t count but the claim was made that our display at Stoke was some sort of "tactical masterclass." I beg to differ. Hughton got it right that day but what he did was hardly rocket science or tactical wizardry and indeed nothing more than he should have done at Hull and Spurs in the previous away games. Creduit for getting it right but we are a premier league club paying our manager a lot of money and I think we have the right to expect our manager to get it right more often than not.[/quote]

Jim, last season the manager exceeded my expectations. Not in my wildest dreams did I expect to finish 11th. I don''t know what your were but if he didn''t exceed them then I would probably say they were not realistic. But each to their own and neither of us can be right or wrong.

This season we are currently below my expectations. I am always loathe to expect a win from any single game because I''ve seen enough football over the years to understand the folly of doing so. But from the home fixtures we''ve played so far my expectations were 8 points and 4 points from the aways. So already we are 4 points behind what I think were reasonable expectations.