Sign in to follow this  
ReadingCanary

Goodbye JACOB BUTTERFIELD

Sometimes things just don''t work out, hopefully he will go on to enjoy a good career, Cheers Jacob!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Yes of course.  Let''s have a go at Hughton for being defensive and not fancying the attacking brilliance that Jacob brought to us shall we?

Too pat. too easy, too predictable and frankly, too Paul Moy.

*I would be impressed by this argument if when in his loan spells in Championship, Jacob had done well.   Sadly that was not the case.   Even though he helped Palace towards promotion, the ever desperate Holloway never wanted to keep him.   In that respect he did less well than Chris Martin and Korey Smith.

Perhaps in his injury he lost something.  Players do.   We have never been so blessed that a good player cannot come through at City and he did not make it in two seasons.  It is one of those things.  I wish him well.  But, I do not see how this is down to Hughton.

[/quote]

**cough** Vaughan **cough**

I dont think anyone is blaming Hughton, just when we signed this lad there was quite a buzz about his signing. He had been labelled ''the New Paul Gascoigne'' (thats the reputation to which I was referring) and there was a genuine feeling that we had an exciting player on our hands, like we have in the shape of Redmond at present. A year later, and can any of us truly say we saw enough of him to form an opinion? That in itself speaks volumes, and I think his departure after clearly not being rated by Hughton was inevitible. It would just be easier to accept he isnt the new Paul Gascoigne if we''d seen him play and thought, ''oh actually, yeah he is a bit rubbish''.

Plently of players were''nt rated by previous managers and have gone on to prove the doubters wrong. We used to have a team full of them, no least Grant Holt.

Dont think anyone is questioning the decision to let him go. I think he was always a gamble after that injury. I just wonder if he might yet go on to establish himself as a good player. We let Dion go as a youngster remember. just because one manager dismisses a player (like SWP) doesnt automatically make them a flop. Look how well Forlan and Rossi went on to become after Man Utd had decided they werent good enough.

Its all conjecture really because we never really got to see him play. Have a feeling Becchio will be much the same.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

He had been labelled ''the New Paul Gascoigne'' (thats the reputation to which I was referring)

[/quote]

Who labelled him that?

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

He had been labelled ''the New Paul Gascoigne'' (thats the reputation to which I was referring)

[/quote]

Who labelled him that?

[/quote]

I remember reading a few quotes at the time we signed him, labelling him as the new Paul Gascoigne. At the time I thought it came from a wider range of people and the then Barnsley manager. But it may just have been this journo...

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/norwich-city-fans-should-get-in-a-lather-about-their-new-gazza-jacob-butterfield/

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

I remember reading a few quotes at the time we signed him, labelling him as the new Paul Gascoigne. At the time I thought it came from a wider range of people and the then Barnsley manager. But it may just have been this journo... http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/norwich-city-fans-should-get-in-a-lather-about-their-new-gazza-jacob-butterfield/

[/quote]

Yeah, clearly whoever said that was either on a wind up or just getting a bit carried away.

Having read that article again - doesnt it sound exactly like the type of player we all wanted in Quagliarella?

If Hughton has got rid though, he clearly wasnt anywhere near as good as this article makes out. It really does make him sound like the next big thing though doesnt it? Such a shame he wasnt. Would have liked to have seen him play. Sadly I think he only made 3 appearences for us didnt he? I didnt catch any of them. Middlesbrough must have seen something in him though. Wonder how much they paid?

Chris Hughton - “Jacob was a difficult decision in some respects. It was me who brought him to the football club and when you bring them in you have the intent they will settle in and do well and prove a good investment. The flip side is he now needs games at this stage of his career and with what we have in the squad I could not guarantee that would be the case. At his age he needs to be playing. We took him originally off the back of an injury so he has missed a lot of first team football.”

Well I guess that answers that question in some respect. Hughton choosing to take responsibility for his signing where he could have distanced himself if as suspected the wheels were in motion when he came in to the club and he simply didnt want to derail the transfer. Still suspect he wasnt really his signing, just probably demonstrates the class of Hughton more than anything else