Sign in to follow this  
unique

Feeding on scraps

When I heard we were in for RVW, obviously had a look at the ubiquitous YouTube clips and the first thing that struck me was the quality of service; thinking ..you ain''t gonna get that at Norwich. Really hope Hughton proves that wrong ...he''s recruited well, just needs to sort out how we play. We saw small glimpses of the green shoots of attacking recovery in our ten game unbeaten run last season ...but that feels a very long time ago

What about the Man City and West Bromwich games? They weren''t that long ago.

The only ''meaningless sh ite'' come from that fearless keyboard warrior, Binner1st.

Crawl back to the Suffolk border and speak only when you''re spoken to..........

One of the significant differences with the West Brom game Herman is that we were knocking on the door of relegation. The game was a ''must win'' and the team came out with a win-first attacking mentality as a result. This is simply not Hughton''s preferred approach to matches as Holt, for example, discussed recently in the media.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]One of the significant differences with the West Brom game Herman is that we were knocking on the door of relegation. The game was a ''must win'' and the team came out with a win-first attacking mentality as a result. This is simply not Hughton''s preferred approach to matches as Holt, for example, discussed recently in the media

.[/quote]

For a last time. We didnt change any major tactics between those 10 unbeaten and WBA & Man City games. We played exactly same way.

This is just something peope want to make up in from the thin air that they could keep on with their agenda. Quite similar as "Howson and Redmond are so talented lad, but we didnt get nowhere because of that old bastard Hoolahan who lost all the balls" Stat proves both of these false.

We have small problems with delivery, but that is one reason we wanted a striker of his level. He is quite much more clinical that what we had previous season. Also in Everton game we showed quite much improvement of getting forward a bit faster than previous season. Mayby it was because we had Bennett instead of Snoddy, who knows, but Hughton is trying to work with issue. That is reason we also bought Fer to play as other of our deeper middlefielders as he has the skills to get that ball onwards fast.

Anyway people need to stop modifying facts for their own agenda. Sometimes you are wrong and sometimes you are right, Just learn to live with it and stop twisting the truth.

And sorry Highland this is not pointed only to you. You just gave me good example.

I think the New Boy sums this thread up pretty well. If when you run with the ball it counts as 1 touch then fair enough. But otherwise we should give the ball to Wolf in our own corner and get him to do 200 kick-ups. Will definitely improve his stats and therefore make him a better player...

The problems we have had are neither fully down to the formation or the personnel but a mixture of both.

Personally I do not believe that playing Wes behind any striker (whilst Snodgrass is on the pitch) is a viable long term option.

I am not questioning Wes''s skills or calling him a bad player but his ideal position has always been at the tip of a diamond (a formation that CH will NEVER play) servicing 2 strikers.

Wes could play in behind if we had 2 players either side of him like Pilks in his prime happy to shoot on sight. Snodgrass deadly from a set play but again doesn''t shoot enough in open play.

So look again at last season Striker isolated up front and marked out of the game Wes & Snoddy not shooting and Pilks either injured or off form.

Yes it worked sometimes more often than not when teams came on to us probably why we picked up more points against the top teams and less against the lower ones last season.

Maybe away from home and against the top teams where a draw is a creditable result but play like this against Hull or Palace and it will be the Newcastle game at Carrow rd last season all over again.

I don''t know why Wes and Snoddy don''t shoot enough , Wes used to when we were in League 1 and that was with 2 strikers in front of him.

If there is not an alternative goal threat perceived by the opposition defence then the striker has no chance of finding space.

[quote user="Lavanche"][quote user="Highland Canary"]One of the significant differences with the West Brom game Herman is that we were knocking on the door of relegation. The game was a ''must win'' and the team came out with a win-first attacking mentality as a result. This is simply not Hughton''s preferred approach to matches as Holt, for example, discussed recently in the media

.[/quote]

I always enjoy reading your analyses and summaries, Lavanche. In your opinion, how far off do you think Hughton is in getting the side that he wants?

For a last time. We didnt change any major tactics between those 10 unbeaten and WBA & Man City games. We played exactly same way.

This is just something peope want to make up in from the thin air that they could keep on with their agenda. Quite similar as "Howson and Redmond are so talented lad, but we didnt get nowhere because of that old bastard Hoolahan who lost all the balls" Stat proves both of these false.

We have small problems with delivery, but that is one reason we wanted a striker of his level. He is quite much more clinical that what we had previous season. Also in Everton game we showed quite much improvement of getting forward a bit faster than previous season. Mayby it was because we had Bennett instead of Snoddy, who knows, but Hughton is trying to work with issue. That is reason we also bought Fer to play as other of our deeper middlefielders as he has the skills to get that ball onwards fast.

Anyway people need to stop modifying facts for their own agenda. Sometimes you are wrong and sometimes you are right, Just learn to live with it and stop twisting the truth.

And sorry Highland this is not pointed only to you. You just gave me good example.[/quote]

The software seemed to have chewed up my last post. I''ll try again.

I always enjoy reading your analyses and summaries, Lavanche. In your opinion, how far off do you think Hughton is in getting the side that he wants?

One thing is certain, Hughton has gone a long way towards improving our biggest problem of last season, lack of pace.

While I like many praised Swansea''s style under Rodgers I did think they spent far too much time passing the ball 5-10 yds sideways and back which gave teams time to regain shape. I haven''t seen much of Liverpool but I should imagine they play in a similar manner so amount of "touches" is warped by this. The stat doesn''t look good for RVW but i''m sure we''ll get better with possession with a bit of time.

To be fair, we didn''t need to see this stat to know that RVW was isolated up front against Everton. The Toffees domination of both possession and central midfield made it very hard for Wolfie and Wes to get into the game, with little service from our midfield. The fact that Garrido played the only decent through-ball to RVW all match tells its own story.

It''s a headache that has continued from last season and only underlines the necessity to improve the quality in our central midfield. Particularly if Hughton wishes to continue with two holding midfielders.

Fer should provide half of this equation. But I thoroughly believe we need another quality central midfield signing if we are to avoid more games where Johnson and Howson are left as spectators in the middle while the opposition play the ball around them.

One thing that struck me was how quickly RVW adjusted to the EPL. I was a bit concerned that he seemed a little languid & unassertive in pre-season; he started like that on Saturday, but by the end of the match he was mixing it in a similar manner to the previous incumbent! (Well, almost).

I think one of his greatest gifts lies in his footballing intelligence. Early days, but I reckon he''s going to be a real force in the league.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]The software seemed to have chewed up my last post. I''ll try again.

I always enjoy reading your analyses and summaries, Lavanche. In your opinion, how far off do you think Hughton is in getting the side that he wants?[/quote]

Well it quite much depends how our middlefield can get things running. Arguable I think at some point he would like to have a bit faster winger on right than Snoddy is. Or this can be just something I would do. In balance wise our right side is always trailing a bit when we start attacking. In Everton game our counters were more threatning with Whittaker and Bennett there. So faster version of Snoddy would be quite much what we need. I in some fantasy thread said that someone like Alessio Cerci would be optimal. Can score, can outskill and outrun most defenders and have decent delivery from wide. Something worthwile looking was that Baines couldnt get much forward when Bennett wasn''t pulled to defend as they knew that their central defenders wouldnt stop him and RvW if we would get break from his side of the field. This is something that teams dont have to take account when we play with Snoddy.

Also it is quite clear as said he wants new 10 spot player or at least option for Hoolahan and centre back that is better with the ball than Turner is.

With those three changes I think Hughton would be near what he wants from that team, but as I''m not Hughton I cant be sure. I personaly would like some big hard tackling regista in place of Johnson, but Hughton at least this far seems to prefer that we build up in safer positions than front of our centre backs.

And at the end it is endless process to build up team. You can always improve and even thought we start to have quality depth in some positions we could use more of it.

would you rather a striker had 100 touches, we drew 0-0 and got relegated

or he touches the ball once in the game, scores and we win 1-0?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]would you rather a striker had 100 touches, we drew 0-0 and got relegated

or he touches the ball once in the game, scores and we win 1-0?[/quote]It''s a bit of a childish comment don''t you think? Yes 100 touches do not matter if you don''t score but if your forward players are having a lot of the ball (i.e touches) it generally means you are having a lot of the attacking play and more likely to score. If they have a handful of touches in the game then you are more likely having to defend most of the game. There are games where you have little of possession but end up scoring your only chance and winning but it''s rare and will certainly not see you prosper throughout the season.