Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Could we become an Arsenal?

This is mad. Arsenal to put it into perspective turnover more than £200million. They make a profit nearly every season have new sponsorship deals which will bring in £60million a season. The differences between Arsenal when Wenger took over and Norwich are this: Arsenal had won 10 league titles, Norwich 0. Arsenal had won 2 recently along with an assortment of cups including the equivalent of the Europa league. They also had a superb defence and had signed one of the biggest stars in world football in Bergkamp an equivalent would be Lewandowski. Arsenal this summer are looking to spend big. They are being ambitious and are moving for top players to add to strong foundations. If they have a good summer they will challenge for the title.

Arsenal aren''t catchable unless football changes significantly. Norwich aren''t going to to challenge at the top unless it does. Norwich should aim to become like Fulham but can do it better and be more consistently competitive than they are.

Norwich could realistically have a great season but that would probably lead to at best a 6th place finish if football remains the way it is. For that to happen there needs to be a lot of luck and teams have some shockers including those around us in the league such as Swansea.

Also I would like to point out that Redmond, Fer and RVW though great signs of ambitions, particularly the latter two, are not amongst the best youngsters in European football.

The first building block of success is BELIEF

It''s a good job David McNally doesn''t share the defeatist attitude of many posters on here or we would be heading backwards at an alarming rate.

Instead of trying to think up every reason why NCFC can''t improve and be successful, how about thinking of reasons we can?

Just because we don''t believe Norwich can become a footballing superpower doesn''t mean we are defeatist. We just aren''t losing our sense of proportion

[quote user="pilksfanclub"]Just because we don''t believe Norwich can become a footballing superpower doesn''t mean we are defeatist. We just aren''t losing our sense of proportion[/quote]
Clearly people are just reading my OP, laughing at the use of Arsenal as an example, and then proceeding to ridicule that choice of club.
If they were to take in the contents of the entire thread, and the second half of my OP, they would also have seen the comparison between us and Everton.

Everybody seems to offer up reason why we can''t become Arsenal. What about Everton? Go on..... why can''t we become an Everton? 
What would be the first step towards becoming an Arsenal? Well, it would probably be to have a ten year period as strong as the one that Everton have just had.
Nobody can offer a good reason why we can''t become an Everton. If we become an Everton, why wouldn''t we think about becoming an Arsenal? Everton have become Liverpools 1st club!

[quote user="Michael Bates"]We can be an everton now as theyre in free fall having reached their peak and have little money to spend and losing their manager. However the top six will from this season be as strong as ever. [/quote]
Everton were in the top 6 this season you muppet. So Everton are in free fall but the ''top six'' are as strong as ever. Why don''t you think about what you are saying? If Liverpool finish in the top six this season then the top six has changed, like it changes every year. Every single year the top six has been different to the year before for the past 12 years and probably every season since the top division began. There is no such thing as this impenetrable top six, it gets penetrated by one of the clubs below sixth every single year. Why don''t you actually study the league table from every year for the past ten or twenty years before writing this rubbish? 
[quote] Cant you see how much liverpool will have improved from their past few seasons due to their overhaul? [/quote] 
They got better in the second half of last season, but other clubs improved last season, and others may struggle. Everton in particular may struggle this season, and Tottenham will struggle to replace Bale when he leaves, whether that is in one year or three years time.
[quote]  And lets not get past the point you originally were making. Bettering arsenal so you were suggesting a top 4.[/quote] 
I never said anything about bettering Arsenal. You seem to completely lack the ability to comprehend a purely hypothetical example and apparently also the ability to comprehend that somebody can possess an imagination. You have also conveniently continued to jump all over my Arsenal comparison whilst ignoring my Everton example. Five top six finishes in nine years for Everton, and all you can go on about is how much Liverpool are improving. 
[quote] Dont get me wrong id love it to happen but im being more realistic. It is a real challenge to stay top half for 3 seasons on the trot let alone be consostently a top 7 side like everton.[/quote]
If we can''t aspire to ''do an Everton'' then there is no point in us even being in this division. That''s precisely where we should be aiming to get and I just thank my lucky stars that we have a forward thinking ambitious CEO in David McNally rather than somebody like yourself. 

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]Everton - YesArsenal - NoMaking the thread title Arsenal if you really meant Everton - Silly[/quote]
Everton - Yes
Arsenal - Who knows, maybe one day
Making the thread title Arsenal - Don''t click on it if you don''t like it

Football goes in cycles although ever bigger and bigger ones so of course the answer is YES.

[quote user="paul moy"]Football goes in cycles although ever bigger and bigger ones so of course the answer is YES. [/quote]
Exactly mate, some people can understand this and some people can''t. 
The only team to pretty much permanently be in the elite three since WWII is Man Utd. Most of the serious challengers in every decade since have dropped off eventually, and new ones have taken their place.
Everton may have just had their decade. Somebody else will have theirs. Might be Swansea, may even be Villa (hate to say it, but it could be), or it could be us.
Some people are willing to look at Villa and think that they could become a top six club again but can''t see it for us. It is a small club mentality that needs to be shaken off. 
Villa have got serious debts, still have expensive has-beens on the pay roll, and have a manager no better than ours. We are just as much as a contender over the next five or ten years as they are. Yet people still have this mental block which sees Villa as a big club and Norwich as a small one. 

You don''t seem to grasp the concept TheNewBoy that people can have a different opinion to you...and still support / love the club just as much as you apparently do.We of course want to see the club do well, we just have different visions of how long it will take,Walls of text blasting everything anyone says against your theory however is somewhat against the spirit of a message board.It''s supposed to be a place where you can debate and share discussions not be met by hostile rebuffing of your own opinion.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwlsd8RAoqINow I know how poor old Michael Howard felt.

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]You don''t seem to grasp the concept TheNewBoy that people can have a different opinion to you... [/quote]
You haven''t offered any opinions, only ridiculed mine (which weren''t really opinions but an attempt at a hypothetical discussion). 

[quote] and still support / love the club just as much as you apparently do. [/quote]
Pathetic card to play, the ''who is a bigger supporter one'', you played it not me. I will say that I am clearly the supporter with some sort of vision and ambition though, not apologizing for possessing those traits. 
[quote] We of course want to see the club do well, we just have different visions of how long it will take, [/quote]
Took David Moyes a couple of years to propel Everton from relegation scrappers to top six contenders. It took Lambert two seasons to take us from League One to Premier League. Who knows where Hughton could take us in his two years, can see no reason why it couldn''t be Wembley or somewhere in the top 7/8. Yes, we have different opinions on how long it could take, agreed. I think it could happen over the next couple of seasons, you don''t. 
[quote]  Walls of text blasting everything anyone says against your theory however is somewhat against the spirit of a message board. [/quote] 
If you don''t like my thread, then don''t visit my thread, start your own.  Cheerio! 
[quote]  It''s supposed to be a place where you can debate and share discussions not be met by hostile rebuffing of your own opinion.[/quote] 
You haven''t at any stage attempting to debate or discuss with me, only pick and choose sections of my OP to ridicule the idea, took you ages to even acknowledge that I''d also mentioned Everton.
[quote] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwlsd8RAoqINow I know how poor old Michael Howard felt. [/quote] 

Not clicking that. If that''s Michael Howard the Tory, then well I hope he felt bloody terrible. 

[quote user="ReadingCanary"]So we are on our third year in the Prem and we are could become "Arsenal"Right......[/quote]
This is apparently your attempt to initiate debate and discuss your opinion ReadingCanary.

If the board came out and stated that the aim was to become a top 4 club, then I can guarantee that the club would be relegated pretty quickly and going into administration. (Unless they had a billionaire backer willing to put 100''s of millions in.) Money talks and Norwich could not possibly finance a top 4 squad by just going out and buying players.

Norwich best bet is to try and make steady progress and steadily build a strong nucleus of a team. The team of the early 90''s had a group of players that had been playing for the team for a number of years. The players steadily improved and learnt each others game and became a very strong squad. I believe this is the best way for a team of Norwich''s size to progress, and you never know it could become good enough to break into the top 4 for a season or two.

Yes football goes in cycles but it is much more difficult now as the financial disparity is so big the only way to bridge the gap consistently is to have bigger resources only way for Norwich to get that is to be taken over.

Also Everton rose at a time when the commercial disparity wasn''t so large. Man U were miles ahead and that was it really. Whilst now we have 5 or 6 clubs with huge commercial potential particularly the top 4. It would take a lot of quality recruitment to get ahead and that is very difficult. Should also be remembered that it would require a lot of loyalty to the manager and to choose the right man for the job. As I said I think Fulham is much more realistic aim or Stoke. Need to just concentrate at staying up for now.

As I said before unless there is better financial equality the big clubs can''t be caught just look at Everton and Spurs as they have really struggled to break into the top 4 and they have better resources and stature than Norwich to begin with. The clubs like Norwich maybe getting richer but the clubs are getting richer at an even quicker rate.

I remember Norwich playing Arsenal at home, almost two-thirds through the 75/76 season. Arsenal were struggling at the bottom of the league and the commentator on Anglia TV making the point that Ted MacDougall had scored more goals than the entire Arsenal squad put together.

Football dominance isn''t set in stone, nor is it guaranteed - We live in a world of change, back in the 70''s it seemed impossible that any team could overhaul Leeds or Derby! Man Utd were relegated!

In the 80''s Liverpool looked invincible forever! - now they are a mid table team living on their history

Football moves in cycles, cycles cycles! - just look at the bigger picture

There is no reason why Norwich can''t improve beyond most peoples dreams or comprehension!

I give up, my opinion that trying to suggest that Norwich could become an Arsenal in the near future is absolutely ludicrous in the current footballing climate is being continually questioned. Reading canary seems to see where I come from but you just continually bash my opinion as if I have no faith or support for Norwich whatsoever, which is so far from the truth. I would love us to be able to compete with the big dogs of this league but quite frankly the game has changed completely over the last decade where football has become a business and commercialization is massive. The barriers to entry for medium sized premier league clubs to break into the top 4 are HUGE. Quite simply= Money. In order to attract the quality of players required at a football club you need to be willing to spend big money. You keep mentioning Everton, and I can undertsand why because they are percieved as a club with little money and have successfully managed to keep intact with the top end of the league for a few years now. However have you considered that even Everton have a ridiculously big fan base across the world and also have players earning over 60k a week? Norwich are a long way off the paces of being a club like Everton anytime soon within the next 5 seasons. Despite this, like I have mentioned I expect Everton to slip up with their ''top six'' success and I believe Liverpool will soon become a team challenging strongly for a top 4 spot once again. Leaving the likes of Arsenal and Spurs in a very competitive situation to qualify for Champions League.

Again in my OPINION I cannot help but think the thought of Norwich competing for top 4-6 spots is way too optimistic. Our goals for the next few seasons is to be a top half side consistently placing 7-10th. (Something that has been a real struggle for teams below the ''top 6'' and Everton)

[quote user="pilksfanclub"]As I said I think Fulham is much more realistic aim or Stoke. [/quote]
So we should aspire to me like a team who finished below us in the league last season with smaller gates and a much larger wage bill (Fulham), or like a team who finished below us in the league with a team full of overpaid thirty something year old mercenaries. We are already the equal of Stoke, why the hell would we want to stand still? 
Both of those clubs have gone backwards, we are on an upward projectory. Amazes me that people still see Fulham and Stoke as superior, we aren''t in the Championship anymore!! 

[quote user="Billabong"]I remember Norwich playing Arsenal at home, almost two-thirds through the 75/76 season. Arsenal were struggling at the bottom of the league and the commentator on Anglia TV making the point that Ted MacDougall had scored more goals than the entire Arsenal squad put together.

Football dominance isn''t set in stone, nor is it guaranteed - We live in a world of change, back in the 70''s it seemed impossible that any team could overhaul Leeds or Derby! Man Utd were relegated!

In the 80''s Liverpool looked invincible forever! - now they are a mid table team living on their history

Football moves in cycles, cycles cycles! - just look at the bigger picture

There is no reason why Norwich can''t improve beyond most peoples dreams or comprehension![/quote]
Exactly. And in more recent history.... Newcastle went from the Championship to 5th place and a great run in Europe within two years. Man City were relegated to League One, and the Welsh have gone from never having a team in the Premier League to having two teams in the Premier League in the space of two years. 
I just don''t understand the argument that people have in which they say football has changed too much in the past ten years for it to change over the next ten years. The rate of evolution has always been this fast and always will be, nothing will ever be set in stone. Two things in life are certain - death and taxes. Football is about as far away from being certain as possible. 

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Again in my OPINION I cannot help but think the thought of Norwich competing for top 4-6 spots is way too optimistic. [/quote]
Well I definitely cannot agree with that, so we can agree to disagree. There you go, your opinion respected. Will mine be respected by you? It hasn''t thus far. You wanted the entire thread deleted, remember? 
[quote]Our goals for the next few seasons is to be a top half side consistently placing 7-10th. (Something that has been a real struggle for teams below the ''top 6'' and Everton)[/quote]
The top six IS Everton for christ sake. They have finished in the top six five times in the last nine years. They ARE the top six. If you want to include Liverpool in the top six based purely on their size and history then Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Nottingham Forest, and Notts County are also in the top six. Even by using your ''top seven'' I have already illustrated how your ''top seven'' seldom end up occupying the top six places in the league:
2000-01 Leeds, Ipswich
2001-02 Newcastle, Leeds
2002-03 Blackburn
2003-04 Newcastle, Aston Villa
2004-05 Bolton
2005-06 Blackburn
2006-07 -
2007-08 Aston Villa
2008-09 Aston Villa
2010-11 -
2011-12 Newcastle United
Out of the top seven from last season, only twice in eleven or twelve years did six of them finish in the top six spaces. At what point did Villa stop being considered a top six team? How about Newcastle? 
The top six evolves and the above list of teams to penetrate it clearly  illustrates that. I don''t see how it become any clearer. Both Newcastle and Villa achieved three top six finishes over that period. Everton four in those seasons.
Your ''top six'', which for some reason doesn''t include Everton, just doesn''t exist in the way that you imagine it too. There is absolutely no reason to believe that Tottenham aren''t having anything other than their Aston Villa period of success, and absolutely no reason why we can''t have our own Villa period or Newcastle period.
As for all this guff about Everton''s supporter base, we are a bigger club than you give us credit for, 11th biggest in the country in terms of supporter base I believe. Certainly much bigger than the Fulham''s and Stoke''s that people want us to aspire too, and not all that smaller than Villa - who were getting gates of around 30k in the McLeish season and have to give away tickets for a tenner to fill their ground under Lambert. 

"So would you take 11th place every year with no trip to Europe? I''d

personally love to see us lift some silverware, even if it were to

signal the end of the era and give us the risk of a subsequent decline."

That is absurd nonsense as it presumes there is an either/or scenario. There isn''t, just as there was never that other pile of of bo lllox the aiming to avoid relegation guff. The best the team can do is to try and pick up as many points as possible and then see where that leads. As to the bleat about silverware then you clearly did not see the League 1 title being presented. A title won by who we beat, not how well the draw helped us. Which given , as I would suggest, the title is beyond us then wondrous bit of ''silverware'' is again down to pot luck of the draw. And in the hard nosed world of football finance Wigan''s victory against Man City was worth far less in monatry terms than our win a week or so later.

"I just don''t understand the argument that people

have in which they say football has changed too much in the past ten

years for it to change over the next ten years. The rate of evolution

has always been this fast and always will be"
More ludicrous nonsense. The changes in football in the 20 years from say post war to the mid sixties were perhaps almost minimal, whereas the changes in the past decade (due to money) have been phenomenal. Unfortunately what you can''t seem to grasp is how these changes have impacted upon football in England. The gap between the top and the rest has steadily been widening for the past three decades or so. It has now reached a stage where the best it can be hoped for is that the gap only increases at a slower rate than before. A glance at previous league tables will show that there never was this huge points gap between the top 6/7 and the rest. A gap that has now become the norm. A gap that also has some PL players on an annual salary higher than the total income of many Championship clubs ! Given rising global sales of merchandise there doesn''t seem to be any sign that this gap will actually slow down in it''s rate of growth. Change happens, but you would do well to look at what is causing that change and how it is impacting on things rather than simply bleating out that because things change then virtually anything can happen.

So let''s see, I have two people above criticising my thread. 
One is ReadingCanary, architect of the tread ''Robert Snodgrass Hands In Transfer Request''
And City1st, whose trademark is to create a misleading title which leads the reader on to a picture of a shop sign.  
I''ll skip. 

Sometimes I can''t believe the level of defeatist, pessimistic argument on this board!

If your viewpoint is that all club status quo will remain the same forever and we can never raise ourselves above lower league fodder and the top 6, in fact the top 10 will remain the same for eternity - why even bother to watch a football match?

Why not just sit in a corner with your half empty glass and tell yourself how bad life is and nothing will ever change, unless things get worse of course!

[quote user="Billabong"]Sometimes I can''t believe the level of defeatist, pessimistic argument on this board!

If your viewpoint is that all club status quo will remain the same forever and we can never raise ourselves above lower league fodder and the top 6, in fact the top 10 will remain the same for eternity - why even bother to watch a football match?

Why not just sit in a corner with your half empty glass and tell yourself how bad life is and nothing will ever change, unless things get worse of course![/quote]
Exactly. 100% correct. We are Norwich City, and once upon a time we were famous for punching above our weight and playing beautiful passing football to rival the best clubs in the land. We don''t just sink back and accept our place in football, we shake it up and mix it with the best. Our journey hasn''t finished yet, the big teams will one day fear coming to Carrow Road again. It can become a fortress again. 

[quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Billabong"]Sometimes I can''t believe the level of defeatist, pessimistic argument on this board!

Why not just sit in a corner with your half empty glass and tell yourself how bad life is and nothing will ever change, unless things get worse of course![/quote]
Exactly. 100% correct. We are Norwich City, and once upon a time we were famous for punching above our weight and playing beautiful passing football to rival the best clubs in the land. We don''t just sink back and accept our place in football, we shake it up and mix it with the best. Our journey hasn''t finished yet, the big teams will one day fear coming to Carrow Road again. It can become a fortress again. 
[/quote]Alright Aragon...In all seriousness though, as we have repeatedly said.We love the club just as much as you do.We just believe it will take more time to achieved a position similar to that of Everton and that it is unrealistic to see us in the top 6

[quote user="ReadingCanary"][quote user="TheNewBoy"][quote user="Billabong"]Sometimes I can''t believe the level of defeatist, pessimistic argument on this board!

[/quote]Alright Aragon...In all seriousness though, as we have repeatedly said.We love the club just as much as you do.We just believe it will take more time to achieved a position similar to that of Everton and that it is unrealistic to see us in the top 6[/quote]
Fine. You believe that, I believe that we can challenge within a couple of years, if not this season. 
EVERTON:
1992-93   42  7  6  8  26  27    8  2 11  27  28   -2  53  13th

1993-94 42 8 4 9 26 30 4 4 13 16 33 -21 44 17th

1994-95 42 8 9 4 31 23 3 8 10 13 28 -7 50 15th

1995-96 38 10 5 4 35 19 7 5 7 29 25 +20 61 6th

1996-97 38 7 4 8 24 22 3 8 8 20 35 -13 42 15th

1997-98 38 7 5 7 25 27 2 8 9 16 29 -15 40 17th

1998-99 38 6 8 5 22 12 5 2 12 20 35 -7 43 14th

1999-2k 38 7 9 3 36 19 5 5 9 23 28 +12 50 13th

2000-01 38 6 8 5 29 27 5 1 13 16 32 -14 42 16th

2001-02 38 8 4 7 26 23 3 6 10 19 34 -12 43 15th

2002-03 38 11 5 3 28 19 6 3 10 20 30 -1 59 7th

2003-04 38 8 5 6 27 20 1 7 11 18 37 -12 39 17th

2004-05 38 12 2 5 24 15 6 5 8 21 31 -1 61 4th

2005-06 38 8 4 7 22 22 6 4 9 12 27 -15 50 11th

2006-07 38 11 4 4 33 17 4 9 6 19 19 +16 58 6th

2007-08 38 11 4 4 34 17 8 4 7 21 16 +22 65 5th

2008-09 38 8 6 5 31 20 9 6 4 24 17 +18 63 5th

2009-10 38 11 6 2 35 21 5 7 7 25 28 +11 61 8th2010-11 38 9 7 3 31 23 4 8 7 20 22 +6 54 7th

2011-12 38 10 3 6 28 15 5 8 6 22 25 +10 56 7th

2012-13 38 12 6 1 33 17 4 9 6 22 23 +15 63 6th
ASTON VILLA
2012/20131Barclays Premier League15th/203855923285682441101117476941
2011/20121Barclays Premier League16th/203847820253106172871714375338
2010/20111Barclays Premier League9th/2038874261945102240121214485948
2009/20101Barclays Premier League6th/20388832916955232317138523964
2008/20091Barclays Premier League6th/2038793272110272727171110544862
2007/20081Barclays Premier League6th/2038103634226943729161210715160
2006/20071Barclays Premiership11th/203878420144962327111710434150
2005/20061Barclays Premiership16th/203866720204692235101216425542
2004/20051Barclays Premiership10th/2038865261745101935121115455247
2003/20041Barclaycard Premiership6th/203896424196582425151112484456
2002/20031Barclaycard Premiership16th/2038112625141711173312917424745
2001/20021F.A. Barclaycard Premiership8th/203887422174782430121412464750
2000/20011F.A. Carling Premiership8th/203888327205771923131510464354
1999/20001F.A. Carling Premiership6th/203888323127572323151310463558
1998/19991F.A. Carling Premiership6th/2038103633285771818151013514655
1997/19981F.A. Carling Premiership7th/20389372624838232417615494857
1996/19971F.A. Carling Premiership5th/2038115327136582021171011473461
1995/19961F.A. Carling Premiership4th/203811533215748202018911523563
1994/19951F.A. Carling Premiership18th/2242696272456102432111516515648
1993/19941F.A. Carling Premiership10th/224285823187772332151215465057

I want whatever you guys are having which makes you so optimistic.

Fulham and Stoke are established premier league teams we aren''t yet. Both have played in Europe recently we haven''t. Do I need to go on?

The unwillingness to comprehend the economic realities of football is staggering. They are getting richer at a much quicker rate than we are. We can''t compete unless football changes which it doesn''t look like doing.

Saying we are Norwich football city means what? This is isn''t a hugely famous club. Norwich aren''t any more special than Swansea, Cardiff or even that lot in Suffolk.

Newcastle followed it up by nearly going down. They are also a much bigger club than us and could sign bigger name players than we can and can pay more. Football is becoming more certain in the short to medium term as there is the growth of super clubs.

You say we can challenge but for what? We are struggling to keep our head above the water at the moment. You see all this weight of opposition to your views and you don''t seem to waver an inch from your views why?

[quote user="pilksfanclub"]They are getting richer at a much quicker rate than we are. [/quote]
How does that work then? Stoke and Fulham are ''getting richer'' how? 
[quote] We are struggling to keep our head above the water at the moment. [/quote]
What the hell are you talking about? Are you on the wrong forum? This is the year 2013, and this is a Norwich City forum. Did you mean to go here? http://www.twtd.co.uk/

TheNewBoy - I think you know that you probably deserved some of these ridiculous replies, considering the name of the thread.

But on the whole, I agree 100%.

I thank GOD that David McNally shares our enthusiasm for progression and development.

Do people really think McNally is going after MULTIPLE £8m+ players if he wants us to finish 11th?