Sign in to follow this  
Olly

Utd away - Is there hope?

I will be travelling to Old Trafford to the game next Saturday, and I now go with a sense of hope in my blood and I will tell you why!

1. Obviously the win yesterday. Although Everton looked comfortable for long periods yesterday, I think it showed a lot about our resolve that they didn''t really carve us open too many times. And of course the character we showed to get the two late goals!

2. Real Madrid''s visit to Old Trafford in the midweek after the game. This could be crucial, because with Utd having the title all but sewn up now (no way they will make the same mistake twice), will they want to risk the likes of RVP, Rooney, Ferdinand for a game against Norwich at home, with the HUGE Champions League game coming up? I think not. This could go either way, in that there so called "reserves" could come out and tonk us, proving a point to Fergie, or they could play like our "reserves" did against Luton.

3. We have another little unbeaten run going now. In fact going into the last league game against Utd we were 4 games unbeaten in the league, guess what we are going in 4 games unbeaten again. Just a little omen maybe?

4. We generally do well against Utd.

I really think we might nick something up there. I can''t see us getting tonked like we did at Anfield. What do you guys think?

i think a lot rides on their second leg in the week following.

I think the odds are they will rest players, who I don''t know. but I don''t think it has anything to do with it being against us (we always play well against them, it seems.)

I think they would rest their squad v anyone, with the exception of man city.

Yeah, there is a chance.Its team spirit that gets you through tests like Utd away, and we went a long way to restoring some spirit yesterday.And yeah, they will rest players, even more so if Man City don''t get anything out of the game being played now.

We will have a lot more pace for the likes of Pilks and Kamara and I hope we start with both to prevent Utd pinning us back.

I wouldn''t expect either to play the 90 mins but starting positive is the way to go because chasing games like this we end up conceeding lots of goals.

Holt and Kamara up front. Pilks, Tettey (if fit) or Hows, BJ and Snoddy. The defence picks itself although I feel sorry for Whits who could later come on for Pilks if we have something to hold.

I really believe we are in the right frame to go there and give them a very good game. I wouldn''t be surprised to see us get a result. The Everton win has given us breathing space to go into this one with more freedom and no fear.

I would put money on kamara not starting.

you''re right about not expecting him to play the 90 minutes, but it makes more sense for him to watch and study them from the bench for the first half and part of the second half. let united tire so he is fresh compared to them.

Febuary, 46 years ago another City team headed up to Carrow Road and in their wake followed coaches from every corner of the county - loaded up with blokes full of hope (and light ale).

I don''t recall any of them wringing their cloth caps or bowing their heads. Can''t recall the players lining up and touching their forelocks as the Man Utd players ran out. I do recall them getting stuck in and pulling off an amazing win. They were top of the table and we were struggling near the bottom of the division below. They had Best, Law, Stiles and Charlton ... players who had won the World Cup the year before and players who would go on to win the European Cup the year after. What did we have beside hope ? Belief, that''s what.

It''s eleven against eleven. Play as we did on Saturday with Bechio and Holt reminding them that it''s a man''s game and then bring on Kamara to rip into them. And here''s a bit of advice to the ever so ''umble, get off your knees and get behind the team.

We are in this league to succeed, not grovel.

err

February, 46 years ago another City team headed up to Old Trafford

(otherwise as you were)