Sign in to follow this  
Fozzy1183

Looks like Hooper is on his way !

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Where exactly would this wonder striker play? Holt and Hoolahan are a big big reason as to why we went 10 games unbeaten, so which one would you drop? Without those two, how do you know half the chances we have had would have been created? Would have been a lot more reliant on the two wingers who have been very inconsistent. It wasn''t pretty obvious our attack was going to struggle, how on earth was that obvious? We lost Wilbraham, thats all, how does losing Wilbrahamovic, as wonderful as he is, and signing Harry Kane who AVB was ready to use as back up before they signed Adebayor make you think our attack was going to struggle? Don''t understand that at all... Suppose you''re one of those people who every season thinks Holt won''t be any good this year. I''ve been going on all season about not taking our chances, but we have the players who should be able to take those chances, we have been getting results, and we are in a position we should have expected to be in. The disappointment was a slow start, not because we lacked a striker, but because Hughton was new to the job (can work either way, either fantastic start or slow start), was trying to fit in a large number of new signings, tried out a couple of formations, tried to fit Howson in, Surman in, has given Morison a few chances, had issues with Holt fitness, Bennett and Snodgrass injuries, Bassong injury, Whittaker injury, Tettey injury. Its actually no surprise at all we didn''t do well to start with. Hughton has sacrificed a few goals for not conceding a few goals. Essentially we are at the same stage we were at last season, because we''ve got a different manager, a host of new players and a new way of playing. Yes I want a new striker to compete with Holt, but thats all whoever we could have singed in the summer would have done, and how many strikers do you know of that have the effect Holt has, the effect Holt has that has helped us out a lot?[/quote]

In that case you are forcing us to play 4-4-1-1 or some other lone-striker system for the rest of the season, and throughout every game, because it is quite clear from his selections and substitutions that Hughton doesn''t rate any of our other current strikers. And opposing managers will love just having one system to prepare for.

Yeah on the injuries front.

Can''t remember Lambert being as ''badly'' effected as Hughton. Luckily nothing too serious other than Ruddy (although thats a huge miss, but Bunn in for Ruddy is perhaps better than say Barnett in for Bassong or Moro in for Holt long term). But early season injuries, that i''ve already mentioned, and now injuries to the forwards, plus Pilks hasn''t looked fully fit for a couple games, Howson has had a knock, Whittaker out again, Johnson was suspended for a game, Holt and Moro injured, Kane only just fit.

We have a manager who doesn''t like to complain, think he did a little complaining about one of the refs recently, but if Lambert were still manager he''d have been fined about 5 times so far this season for insulting the ref after the game. Same with injuries. Hughton just gets on with it, tries to stay positive which is great.

norfolkbroadslim, yes Hooper is too short if we are going to play hoof ball.

But if we plan to have a more balanced style, or knock the balls in the channels over the top, then height isn''t the biggest skillset you require.

Whilst it''s always hard to judge a player on youtube / different league. His position play looks to be a topical no. 9, off the last shoulder, looking to score. Seems to have a poacher''s positioning, but more involved in the build up.

Unlikely, but a quality signing imo.

Purple, i''m not forcing us to play a lone striker. Thats Hoolahan''s job.

Ever since Arsenal we''ve only had one system. Until Hoolahan forgets how to play football we''ll only have one system. I think the fact Howson has been playing more recently may be in preparation to throw him in when Hoolahan can''t play, and Bennett has played a bit in the middle. Hughton clearly loves the lone striker formation.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Purple, i''m not forcing us to play a lone striker. Thats Hoolahan''s job. Ever since Arsenal we''ve only had one system. Until Hoolahan forgets how to play football we''ll only have one system. I think the fact Howson has been playing more recently may be in preparation to throw him in when Hoolahan can''t play, and Bennett has played a bit in the middle. Hughton clearly loves the lone striker formation.

[/quote]

GP, I think Hughton likes it too, and, yes, it probably is his preferred option, but I would be amazed if he also didn''t want to play two strikers at least in parts of games. And at the moment he thinks he can''t. That is obvious from his selections and substitutions.

Well i''m not saying the new striker can''t play alongside Holt, and even if I was, i''m not in charge fortunately.

You are probably right. A big part of reluctance to make subs must be because he doesn''t rate those subs highly enough to change the starting XI even if those players aren''t performing to the top of their abilities.

Maybe once Holt and Kane are both fit, if we don''t sign a new striker, we''d see two upfront more, I would say and maybe since Jackson scored, but Jackson scored in the league and in the cup earlier in the season (I think he got two, maybe that was Moro) and that didn''t really help him. Which is surprising as i''d have though Jackson was a player Hughton would like.

I''d have thought playing Holt and Moro, or Holt and Jackson for 20 mins, rather than just Holt and then maybe bringing one of those two on for 3 minuets would have been acceptable anyway. But I obviously don''t know what Hughton is thinking so its all speculation.

I just wish we had Wilbrahamovic back, we''d have no problems then :)

Does a Holt - Hooper combo not sound like the dogs?

And not at the expense of Hoolahan!! in no uncertain fashion it would be the real Triple H! Gentlemen, and Canary/Gorleston girls I present to you... The diamond formation! O_O some of you may already have heard of this formation... Then you remember it as THE formation.

At only the cost of Tettey/Johnson you can have the best of both worlds! Disclaimer: Poor retention of possession is a mild side effect with the lack of T or J. The creator of the diamon formation cannot be held responsible in a court of law. By signing this agreement you agree to this disclaimer.

Thank you, Mr.Diamond

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well i''m not saying the new striker can''t play alongside Holt, and even if I was, i''m not in charge fortunately. You are probably right. A big part of reluctance to make subs must be because he doesn''t rate those subs highly enough to change the starting XI even if those players aren''t performing to the top of their abilities. Maybe once Holt and Kane are both fit, if we don''t sign a new striker, we''d see two upfront more, I would say and maybe since Jackson scored, but Jackson scored in the league and in the cup earlier in the season (I think he got two, maybe that was Moro) and that didn''t really help him. Which is surprising as i''d have though Jackson was a player Hughton would like. I''d have thought playing Holt and Moro, or Holt and Jackson for 20 mins, rather than just Holt and then maybe bringing one of those two on for 3 minuets would have been acceptable anyway. But I obviously don''t know what Hughton is thinking so its all speculation. I just wish we had Wilbrahamovic back, we''d have no problems then :)[/quote]

Ah, well, now you''re talking! But wages would be the problem with Wilbrahamovic. He might want some...

I do think the wide diamond as it were is the obvious plan B. We get that second striker on without the loss of Hoolahan and that will certainly cause problems for many defences in this league.

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]Does a Holt - Hooper combo not sound like the dogs?

And not at the expense of Hoolahan!! in no uncertain fashion it would be the real Triple H! Gentlemen, and Canary/Gorleston girls I present to you... The diamond formation! O_O some of you may already have heard of this formation... Then you remember it as THE formation.

At only the cost of Tettey/Johnson you can have the best of both worlds! Disclaimer: Poor retention of possession is a mild side effect with the lack of T or J. The creator of the diamon formation cannot be held responsible in a court of law. By signing this agreement you agree to this disclaimer.

Thank you, Mr.Diamond[/quote]or you swap pilks for hoolahan and ask garrido to do a lot more work

Stig clearly seems to have forgotten the massive rants everybody had last season when the diamond didn''t work.

And it didn''t. It rarely did last season.

I just went on the Celtic forum to see what they were saying about Hooper.Last post on the thread is some Norwich fan talking about Hopper.Bit embarrassing.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Where exactly would this wonder striker play?

Holt and Hoolahan are a big big reason as to why we went 10 games unbeaten, so which one would you drop? Without those two, how do you know half the chances we have had would have been created? Would have been a lot more reliant on the two wingers who have been very inconsistent.

It wasn''t pretty obvious our attack was going to struggle, how on earth was that obvious? We lost Wilbraham, thats all, how does losing Wilbrahamovic, as wonderful as he is, and signing Harry Kane who AVB was ready to use as back up before they signed Adebayor make you think our attack was going to struggle? Don''t understand that at all...

Suppose you''re one of those people who every season thinks Holt won''t be any good this year.

I''ve been going on all season about not taking our chances, but we have the players who should be able to take those chances, we have been getting results, and we are in a position we should have expected to be in. The disappointment was a slow start, not because we lacked a striker, but because Hughton was new to the job (can work either way, either fantastic start or slow start), was trying to fit in a large number of new signings, tried out a couple of formations, tried to fit Howson in, Surman in, has given Morison a few chances, had issues with Holt fitness, Bennett and Snodgrass injuries, Bassong injury, Whittaker injury, Tettey injury. Its actually no surprise at all we didn''t do well to start with.

Hughton has sacrificed a few goals for not conceding a few goals. Essentially we are at the same stage we were at last season, because we''ve got a different manager, a host of new players and a new way of playing. Yes I want a new striker to compete with Holt, but thats all whoever we could have singed in the summer would have done, and how many strikers do you know of that have the effect Holt has, the effect Holt has that has helped us out a lot?[/quote]

I personally would play him in goal. We need a new striker but were not going to buy one good enough during the January window. Hooper at 6-7 million is ludicrous. He scores for fun in a league where his teammates are streets ahead of the opposition so nothing can really be read to much there. He''s hit a purple patch in the champions league, impressive? well I''m not convinced.

I guess my point is you do your proper business in the summer. Everyone always seems to want the championship top scorer or one from rangers or Celtic, and said clubs inflate prices to suit.

I think it would be incredibly risky to go the rest of the season without another striker.  Hooper is one of the best available that we know of, so if we can get him, lets do it. 

Lincoln - hindsight is an amazing talent.

We had our 2 top goalscorers from last season (24 Prem goals between them) still at the Club. Swansea sold their 2nd and 3rd top scorers from last season, so definately needed at least 1 replacement.

Where we needed strengthening was obvious at the the time (defence), and as the season has gone on recently, it has become upfront which has become our worry.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Lincoln - hindsight is an amazing talent. We had our 2 top goalscorers from last season (24 Prem goals between them) still at the Club. Swansea sold their 2nd and 3rd top scorers from last season, so definately needed at least 1 replacement. Where we needed strengthening was obvious at the the time (defence), and as the season has gone on recently, it has become upfront which has become our worry.[/quote]

Disagree again, I think Morison had shown in the second half to last season that he was struggling for form and goals. No one really expected him to ever re-discover that early season form this year, Lots of threads to back this up. And with Holt another year older the chances of him equaling last seasons tally were always likely to be tough and many pointed this out in the summer. So I really don''t believe it is hindsight, we were always going to struggle for goals and Hughton really should have addressed this back in the summer rather than sign a Spurs YTS.

I completely agree the defence required suregery and Hughton has done a good (ish) job there, but a striker was as much a priority.

Not as easy as that though Lincoln.

Hughton was determined to go for the one up-front system from the word go. This implies more goals from the mid-field. He added to the midfield with Snodgrass, Tettey and Butterfield. The Latter''s situation remains unsolved, but he must be slightly disappointed at the returns from mid-field, although their contribution to the scoresheet has been quite significant. Perhaps Wes is due a few more.

After following the suggestion aboe about tapping the Celtic forum, I REALLY want Hooper in the yellow. Seems an absolute gem. The suggestion was put that he was keen on the PL in order to stand more chance of playing for England. Norwich could well be seen as a stepping stone, ala Ashton. So what? We would profit from his immediate contribution and from his sale. Unlikely he would fail according to the comments on their forum.