Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of Percy Varco

Rotate the ground 180 degrees

Sounds a daft suggestion I know but I think the atmosphere at Carrow Road would improve if we swapped the Barclay and the River End round.Every game when there is low bright sunshine at Carrow Road on days like yesterday the atmosphere is considerably diminished in the Barclay End. People around me seem reluctant to make any noise because they spend most of their time sheltering their eyes from the sun. As we know, as Norwich fans, we seem unable to sing or chant unless we also clap at the speed of sound (a big bugbear of mine) so surely if we swapped the seats of those in the Barclay and the River End, the noise levels will improve?It was noticeable yesterday, as it is every time that there is a low bright sun, the volume increased as the sun went down.What do you reckon?

I''ve mentioned the beating down on the Barclay nullifying the atmosphere on here before and some fans have dismissed this but I''ve always believed this to be true!

It wern''t so bad in the old Barclay cuase the roof was much lower down but it was a problem then also!

Theres nothing better than a cold Saturday in the winter with Norwich playing to make a good atmosphere!

lay the blame with whoever constructed the ground in the 30''s....  crowd athsetics apart ,from a playing point of view, the sun being behind one goal for most of the year doesnt help goalkeepers?!?, even moresore back then when there was no roof at all at the river end.

As a Jarrold block O-er I wish they''d rotate the pitch 180 degrees - yet to see us score a goal at the river end in the league this season!(Before Mungo wades in, I was at all three cup games, but sat elsewhere.)

Purely coincidental. Low sun most of the season and the Barclay only singing when we''re winning most of the time makes the coming together of the two highly likely most games.

Have you ever considered that the reason those in the Barclay make the most noise is that they may not be able to see what''s happening? They may go completely silent if they were shifted to the other end and the visibility was good. [:D]

"lay the blame with whoever constructed the ground in the 30''s...."

It was way before that, as it was a sports ground before it was sold to us in 1935 so we didn''t have much choice about which way round it went.

I should imagine that the road layout also had quite a ''say'' in things as well.

Make the infill at the between the River End and the Main Stand into a "Snakepit 2" and we will be well away.

I like this idea more if we could build the pitch on a wheel and could do the rotation at kick-off or half-time, ensuring Norwich kick towards the Barclay End for both halves and the opposition goalkeeper has to deal with the low winter sun all afternoon (especially teams north of Aston Villa who never see any sunshine and might panic that a flaming comet is going to blind them Day of the Triffids-style).

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Active, bouyant human beings need sunlight. Perhaps that''s why the River End appears to be home for the terminally bewildered? We are approaching peak time (Dec-Feb) for those affected...

http://www.sada.org.uk/

[/quote]

Perhaps the sad people are the ones that keep knocking fellow supporters.    The River End is quite noisy when I''ve been in there on the odd occasion. Also the view is better from there especially when its sunny - the whole pitch nicely lit up - only spoilt by the glare of the mass of white faces from the other end as they try to see what is happening on the pitch.....[H] 

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Active, bouyant human beings need sunlight. Perhaps that''s why the River End appears to be home for the terminally bewildered? We are approaching peak time (Dec-Feb) for those affected...

http://www.sada.org.uk/

[/quote]

How about a 20 ft high curtain from one end to the other.?