Sign in to follow this  
Gravitys Rainbow

Positives (small cough)

I thought Holt was fantastic today. He''s scoring goals again, confidence is back, did not stop trying.

Thought Wessi was good as well, he does give the ball away rather stupidly, and it would do him good to be more decisive, but there''s no doubt he brings something fresh to the table.

Tetty looks like he is going to be a great player for us, thought Pilkington looked great when he came on...Was very pleased to see Benett back as well.

We lost, heavily, again, and I do think ol'' Chris needs to take a lot of the blame. But we were playing the champions of Europe....This could be a turnaround.

Or we could just be f*****

Agree, Tettey starting to look the part, Holt almost back to his best, Ruddy maninatining his good form. We can turn this around....

Wes looked brilliant today, even with him being brushed off the ball before Chelsea''s third.What''s continually undoing us is Barnett at the back, Howson in the middle and our entire team refusing to put the foot in at any point

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Wes looked brilliant today, even with him being brushed off the ball before Chelsea''s third.What''s continually undoing us is Barnett at the back, Howson in the middle and our entire team refusing to put the foot in at any point[/quote]

Wes continues to flatter to deceive imo.  Continually gets the ball, runs around in little circles trying to keep it, then either gives the ball away or gives the opposition time to get back.   The odd very good pass he gives is outweighed by the rest of his play imo.   Simple pace or at least speed of thought will unlock defences.  Wes doesn''t show enough of either for this level.   

Half the trouble for the defence is the way the midfielders and Morison when he came on, continually giving the ball away and putting us under pressure.   To blame Barnett is a bit rich.    

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Wes looked brilliant today, even with him being brushed off the ball before Chelsea''s third.What''s continually undoing us is Barnett at the back, Howson in the middle and our entire team refusing to put the foot in at any point[/quote]

Wes continues to flatter to deceive imo.  Continually gets the ball, runs around in little circles trying to keep it, then either gives the ball away or gives the opposition time to get back.   The odd very good pass he gives is outweighed by the rest of his play imo.   Simple pace or at least speed of thought will unlock defences.  Wes doesn''t show enough of either for this level.   

Half the trouble for the defence is the way the midfielders and Morison when he came on, continually giving the ball away and putting us under pressure.   To blame Barnett is a bit rich.    

[/quote]To me football is all about opinions and it would a boring game if everyone thought the same.In my opinion Wesley was at the centre of everything positive we did today; he put in crosses, took men on and beat them, scrapped for every ball, consistently made the right decisions etcBarnett nearly gave away yet another penalty, lost Torres for his header, presented Torres with another clear-cut opportunity from a mistake etc. If blaming Barnett got me rich, I could retire tomorrow. Barnett seems like a nice player but he makes about four mistakes at least every game. There is a reason Lambert stopped playing him last year and a reason that we look so shaky with him back now.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Wes looked brilliant today, even with him being brushed off the ball before Chelsea''s third.What''s continually undoing us is Barnett at the back, Howson in the middle and our entire team refusing to put the foot in at any point[/quote]

Wes continues to flatter to deceive imo.  Continually gets the ball, runs around in little circles trying to keep it, then either gives the ball away or gives the opposition time to get back.   The odd very good pass he gives is outweighed by the rest of his play imo.   Simple pace or at least speed of thought will unlock defences.  Wes doesn''t show enough of either for this level.    Half the trouble for the defence is the way the midfielders and Morison when he came on, continually giving the ball away and putting us under pressure.   To blame Barnett is a bit rich.    

[/quote]To me football is all about opinions and it would a boring game if everyone thought the same.In my opinion Wesley was at the centre of everything positive we did today; he put in crosses, took men on and beat them, scrapped for every ball, consistently made the right decisions etcBarnett nearly gave away yet another penalty, lost Torres for his header, presented Torres with another clear-cut opportunity from a mistake etc. If blaming Barnett got me rich, I could retire tomorrow. Barnett seems like a nice player but he makes about four mistakes at least every game. There is a reason Lambert stopped playing him last year and a reason that we look so shaky with him back now.[/quote]

Wes has been dividing opinion ever since he came to Norwich.    He is skilful, but can be frustrating to watch.   I was getting a bit frustrated as he gave the ball away cheaply several times before the third goal.    Barnett is an easy scapegoat.   The defence was put under too much pressure because the midfield kept giving the ball away, allowing Chelsea to mount attacks too easily.  Any defence is going to buckle under those circumstances.   The team as a whole looks to be lacking a bit of confidence, but as usual it is a lapse from one of our own players that has lead to a goal at a critical time of the match. 

I''m still thinking we''ll be fine come end of the season.

Its going to be tough, probably very close.

But I think we''ll have a great November and December, pick up about 6 wins, and maybe a couple draws.

I always struggle to be too negative, really there is very little good reason to not be negative and I completely understand why fans will be worried. But I think Bassong will be fully fit next game, if not for Villa, we will be stronger in defence. Tettey will fit into the team more. We will have Pilks back, with Bennett (hopefully being told to take on his man more) with Snoddy as an option. Holt proving he isn''t past his best. And Hoolahan still able to run the team even when were poor.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I''m still thinking we''ll be fine come end of the season.

Its going to be tough, probably very close.

But I think we''ll have a great November and December, pick up about 6 wins, and maybe a couple draws.

I always struggle to be too negative, really there is very little good reason to not be negative and I completely understand why fans will be worried. But I think Bassong will be fully fit next game, if not for Villa, we will be stronger in defence. Tettey will fit into the team more. We will have Pilks back, with Bennett (hopefully being told to take on his man more) with Snoddy as an option. Holt proving he isn''t past his best. And Hoolahan still able to run the team even when were poor.[/quote]Glad to hear you got home safely mate. See you at Vile Park!

Just home, and agree with all of the above, we''re starting to tick now.Lets face it, we were never going to get anything from today, were we?It was nice to be in front for just a while though!

I think we can come through this if Hughton starts playing with more adventure, and there are signs that this could be happening with Pilks and Elliott getting a chance today. Even Collymore on Talksport was making comments tonight about wanting Norwich fans to call in and comment on whether Hughton should be utilising the players that performed so well for us last season (ie: Pilks and Elliott). Hopefully the message will get through.  

My view is that Hoolahan had a good game overall and made some very good passes, and Barnett was dodgy but we should persevere with him and Bassong. Confidence will come...... I hope, very soon, just as it appears to have arrived with Holt. 

I found another positive!!!

It appears Cody Mac wasn''t playing today, perhaps he has cancelled his contract at Coventry, so he can re-join us. Put on a Simeon Jackson mask on him, and we don''t even have to worry about having a full squad.

But seriously, mr Moy. Was that a positive post, about our team, and our players?

Or has Collymore just told you to get behind the team, and as he is on your beloved Talksport you had no choice but to listen? :P

It was great to see Holt back. If we''ve learnt anything from the last three seasons Holt is the player that has to perform for us to have any chance of staying up.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]But seriously, mr Moy. Was that a positive post, about our team, and our players?

Or has Collymore just told you to get behind the team, and as he is on your beloved Talksport you had no choice but to listen? :P[/quote]Ha!

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Wes looked brilliant today, even with him being brushed off the ball before Chelsea''s third.What''s continually undoing us is Barnett at the back, Howson in the middle and our entire team refusing to put the foot in at any point

made us coincide by loosing the ball with a crappy touch and to redeem himself he should of took the Chelsea player out and accepted the yellow.[/quote]

I think the OP has done a good job of picking out the relatively slim positives from the match. Holt looked back to his best and worked very hard, his finish was top class. Wes played well with some really clever passing and recycling of the ball when options ahead were pretty slim most of the time, apart from being rather pathetically bundled off the ball for their third. Thought Tettey played well for his first PL start away at Chelsea (gentle introduction!) but should have done much better with his header though.

I expected us to lose heavily away at Chelsea and we did, Hughton still has his dozen PL games to show he is up to it with me, and neither this game or the next were likely to be the ones he proves it in.

Have to say i like Barnett and he has done well so far this season but he was the pick of a number of poor players yesterday. Doesn''t make him a scapegoat, i don''t think its wrong to point out when someone has a bad game. Blaming the midfield is all very well but Chelsea were always going to have the mammoth share of possession today and Barnett looked the weakest link in a pretty ropey all round team defensive performance. I''d like to see personally how a Bennett/Bassong partnership would work so it was nice to see the lad get some game time.